• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Hybrid And Zero-Emissions Vehicles Photos And News

Californikan

2013 Honda Civic

The heavily updated 2013 Civic. Hybrid version arrives in a few months.

2013-honda-civic-sedan-range-live-photos-2012-l-a-auto-show_100410844_m.jpg

2013-Honda-Civic-interior-2.jpg

2012la2013hondacivic-07-627x371.jpg

They appear to have realized that the model was a real duffer in the styling front and decided to make it look as much as possible like the previous model.... Wonder if the record sales figures (which pretty much prove that boring sells) will take a dip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
That Nissan looks truly hideous. I can't understand what's going on with their design dept after such stuff like the Z and the Murano.

I'm guessing that the Altima was styled in the US in their LA design studio by Americans like the Murano if i'm not mistaken! As Clarkson probably would say, Americans cannot design cars!

I'm no expert but I think the Altima has too many styling cues! The rip-off Hoffmeister kink, fastback styling, a low nose and what looks like a extremely tapered front end!

I'm guessing that the Altima was styled in the US in their LA design studio by Americans like the Murano if i'm not mistaken! As Clarkson probably would say, Americans cannot design cars!

I'm no expert but I think the Altima has too many styling cues! The rip-off Hoffmeister kink, fastback styling, a low nose and what looks like a extremely tapered front end!

Probably rayman. To me it looks a very weak design. Like they squeezed a soft banana into this shape. There are no strong lines. Just look at that Lexus in comparison. Maybe some of the detail is fussy but they seem to be getting it right at last.

• 2 weeks later...

Even more good news for hybrid fans......

Nissan to introduce 15 new hybrid models in the next 3 years

http://green.autoblog.com/2013/01/23/nissan-upcoming-hybrid-plans-featuring-resonance-powertrain/

nissan-resonance-concept-628.jpg

Father of the Toyota Prius set to become Toyota's next Chairman

http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/22/us-toyota-chairman-idUSBRE90L03V20130122

THSWS7_JAPAN_TOYOTA_22026f.jpg

Electric cars head toward another dead end

Oh dear, that's not very encouraging news for those who have wet dreams about EVs...

But I suppose Reuters doesn't know what it is talking about, eh Cali? Oh and before you say it, yes, I noticed that the article states that focus is shifting towards Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles. Now THAT is a promising technology.

Edited by Supra_Natural

Electric cars head toward another dead end

Oh dear, that's not very encouraging news for those who have wet dreams about EVs...

But I suppose Reuters doesn't know what it is talking about, eh Cali? Oh and before you say it, yes, I noticed that the article states that focus is shifting towards Hydrogen Fuel Cell vehicles. Now THAT is a promising technology.

Lets look at the FACTS.

2012 U.S. electric car sales: 14,251

2012 U.S. hydrogen car sales: 0

2012 U.S. electric car charging stations in operation: 13,967

2012 U.S. hydrogen car fueling stations in operation: 10

Cost of an electric car charger - $3000+

Cost of a hydrogen car fueling station - $1 million+

Estimated price of the 2015 Hyundai Tuscon Hydrogen vehicle: $88,000

Actual price of a 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV with powertrain by Tesla: $50,000

I'm 100% all for for hydrogen cars. But please tell me how many years more do you think it will take for hydrogen vehicles cost, sales, and fueling infrastructure to reach the current 2012 electric car levels?

Lets look at the FACTS.

2012 U.S. electric car sales: 14,251

2012 U.S. hydrogen car sales: 0

2012 U.S. electric car charging stations in operation: 13,967

2012 U.S. hydrogen car fueling stations in operation: 10

Cost of an electric car charger - $3000+

Cost of a hydrogen car fueling station - $1 million+

Estimated price of the 2015 Hyundai Tuscon Hydrogen vehicle: $88,000

Actual price of a 2012 Toyota RAV4 EV with powertrain by Tesla: $50,000

I'm 100% all for for hydrogen cars. But please tell me how many years more do you think it will take for hydrogen vehicles cost, sales, and fueling infrastructure to reach the current 2012 electric car levels?

And what is the percentage of total new car sales that number represents? Under 0.1 percent, so yeah... GREAT SUCCESS! And yes, Hybrid sales did go up, which proves yet again that pure electric cars are the answer to a question no one but a few eco-mentalists seem to be asking. For example, take the Nissan leaf, which gave you a hard on before you got all "musked"; they targeted 20,000 sales in the US annually but what have they managed last year? less than half that. And as for your idol's rather shaky company, how many cars have they actually sold? No one knows because they "have a policy of not revealing sales figures until they are required to by law"... Convenient isn't it? It's true of course that it can go either way.

Also, I do love it when you are in such a hurry to prove a point that you cook up some statistics and completely neglect to take facts into consideration... http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/hydrogen/hydrogen_stations.htm

That link there shows the list of Hydrogen stations already operating or planned in California alone... Even the ones that are open number more than 10 and you can clearly see that there are more on the way. How many years did it take for the US to go from almost no EV stations to the number you've quoted? It certainly wasn't decades and decades. As for the rather poor price argument, how expensive would a RAV 4 EV been if they'd been able to make it work well enough to go on sale 10 years ago? At least double the current cost is the answer... Costs keep coming down in the automotive world as technology is develped y'know (or perhaps you don't know).

Anyhoo, the real reason plug in electric cars will fail in the long run and Hydrogen will be what humankind will turn to when the oil runs out is pretty simple. James May explains it better then anyone so allow me to redirect you to this video;

http://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/gallery/videos/id/1268-honda-fcx-clarity-top-gear-review

Watch from 6.25 onwards.

Edited by Supra_Natural

sounds familiar? isn't it the same thing many have been saying about the hybrids in local context? now you're saying the same thing about hydrogens.

so in your own words, you have to be early adopters and try out new technology (future technology) without dissing it. So in same context, you have to start embrace hydrogen fuel cell based vehicles and try out and buy 'em risking your money, so that it'll help to develop the infrastructure, hydrogen fueling stations, etc.

so let me ask the same question from you again, how many years it will take for hybrid vehicles cost, sales and infrastructure to reach the current 2012 conventional vehicle levels here in SL ? till then people will be skeptical.

• Like 2

And what is the percentage of total new car sales that number represents? Under 0.1 percent, so yeah... GREAT SUCCESS! And yes, Hybrid sales did go up, which proves yet again that pure electric cars are the answer to a question no one but a few eco-mentalists seem to be asking. For example, take the Nissan leaf, which gave you a hard on before you got all "musked"; they targeted 20,000 sales in the US annually but what have they managed last year? less than half that. And as for your idol's rather shaky company, how many cars have they actually sold? No one knows because they "have a policy of not revealing sales figures until they are required to by law"... Convenient isn't it? It's true of course that it can go either way.

Agreed. I've never written that electric cars overall have been a sales success. I'm just saying that hydrogen cars also have a very long hard road ahead of them for sales success and market share success.

Also, I do love it when you are in such a hurry to prove a point that you cook up some statistics and completely neglect to take facts into consideration... http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/zevprog/hydrogen/hydrogen_stations.htm

The link you provided is for the California Air resource Board which is for California charging stations only, not the entire U.S.

My numbers for the number of U.S. charging station is correct. Check wikipedia. 13,967 charging stations in the U.S. as of Oct 2012 is the latest data.

That link there shows the list of Hydrogen stations already operating or planned in California alone... Even the ones that are open number more than 10 and you can clearly see that there are more on the way. How many years did it take for the US to go from almost no EV stations to the number you've quoted? It certainly wasn't decades and decades. As for the rather poor price argument, how expensive would a RAV 4 EV been if they'd been able to make it work well enough to go on sale 10 years ago? At least double the current cost is the answer... Costs keep coming down in the automotive world as technology is develped y'know (or perhaps you don't know).

FYI: The first hydrogen refueling station opened in the U.S. in 2000 so they've had 13 years to develop the infrastructure. The reason it hasn't happened is because the infrastructure is very very expensive to build even for firstworld countries, and there are not just enough hydrogen cars on the road to justify the expense.

I hope you can see the big problem facing hydrogen vehicles. People won't lease or buy hydrogen vehicles without the infrastructure in place, but the infrastructure won't be built until there are enough cars on the road to justify it.

Electric cars don't have this problem because electric car chargers are so cheap and small. They can be installed anywhere there is a parking spot.

Anyhoo, the real reason plug in electric cars will fail in the long run and Hydrogen will be what humankind will turn to when the oil runs out is pretty simple. James May explains it better then anyone so allow me to redirect you to this video;

http://www.buyyourcar.co.uk/gallery/videos/id/1268-honda-fcx-clarity-top-gear-review

Watch from 6.25 onwards.

Thanks for the interesting video, but James May is conveniently not mentioning the fact that oil is used for less than 6% of the world's electricity generation so electric cars will not be affected even if the oil runs out tomorrow:

Forward to 53:25 for the counterpoint:

Edited by Californikan

Bottom line Supra: it's very premature after only 2 years to proclaim that electric cars are at a dead end and hydrogen cars are the future because hydrogen cars haven't even gone on sale yet, and when they do they face as big or even bigger obstacles to mass adoption than electric cars.