• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Continuously Variable Transmission (cvt)

Newbi

good article,

only thing is most CVTs are still going thru infant product cycle. Maybe the next gens will be better. I have read that the new Nissan muranos epuiped with CVT changes ratios when u least expecet robbing HPs from that wonderful 3.5 engine. It also sucks that they dont ofer this model in a manual (6spd). Which is why the CX7 is rated better than the murano. As with all new technology, It will take a few gens to figure out the lil kinks.

good article,

only thing is most CVTs are still going thru infant product cycle. Maybe the next gens will be better. I have read that the new Nissan muranos epuiped with CVT changes ratios when u least expecet robbing HPs from that wonderful 3.5 engine. It also sucks that they dont ofer this model in a manual (6spd). Which is why the CX7 is rated better than the murano. As with all new technology, It will take a few gens to figure out the lil kinks.

Well there is a manual mode on the Murano....But with regards to the Automatic mode: I agree that the CVT makes it sluggish, but the plus point to that is; the CVT combined with its conservative default setting makes it really economical (comparatively).

And for the times when you want it; there’s a sport mode which livens things up considerably.

Have driven both the Murano and the Highlander hybrid with the CVT. As someone biased towards manuals, i found it really boring to drive. altough as noted before, the sport mode on the Nssan does liven things up. But it kills the beautiful engine.

It does manage to use the torque of the engine well to/and improve the mpg.

CVTs had been there from 70s as I heard. and recently lots of mid sized sedans and hatchs used that properly. Audi, ford, honda, mitshubishi, mini's ...list goes on, lastest lancer 2006 available in SL has also got a CVT tranny.

In SL, some people still have no confidence to buy a CVT equiped car b'cos due to several failures heard in result of improper maintenance. Some cvts of recons had failed due to use of general AT oil instead manufacturer recomended cvt fluid or improper ECU resettings without carrying out a proper CVT calibration.

I'm not sure how it will go success with big engines, but with smaller in the range 1.5-2.2L, cvt will give a little sportier feeling than normal ATs(including latest ECTs availble in Vios or Yaris)