• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best Cars for Extended Island Travel Under 6 Million Rupees

NRO

Question

Hello fellow forum members,

I'm seeking recommendations for a car suitable for extensive travel around the beautiful island of Sri Lanka.

Our family consists of two adults and three kids, and we plan to explore all that Sri Lanka has to offer during our year-long vacation. My budget is 6 million rupees, and I'm looking for a vehicle that prioritizes interior space, drive quality, and resale value, with a bit of flexibility in terms of budget loss upon resale (up to 0.5 million rupees). I'd appreciate any insights and recommendations you may have for us. While fuel efficiency isn't a top concern, I'd love to hear about vehicles that fit our budget and needs. Whether it's a brand/model you've personally had a positive experience with or one that you think matches our criteria, please share your expertise. I'd like also like to know which websites I can use to search for cars. 

We're looking forward to your valuable input to help us make the right choice for our memorable year in Sri Lanka.

Thank you in advance for your assistance!

Edited by NRO
Adding more details

5 answers to this question

I'd assume for extended travel you'll be covering the beaten train as well - hence the need will arise for at least mild off roading? Are you looking at cars or SUV's ?

If you're going for SUV's 6M would fetch you a relatively new Korean SUV (Santafe/Sorento/Sportage and Ssangyongs)- which would make more sense than going for much older SUV like a second gen Pajero. 

Resale value - of course cannot predict given the uncertainty in Sri Lanka (and heck even worldwide given what's going on ) less you spend less chance of loss. 

if you elaborate more we can provide more/better suggestions. 

Edited by matroska

5 hours ago, matroska said:

I'd assume for extended travel you'll be covering the beaten train as well - hence the need will arise for at least mild off roading? Are you looking at cars or SUV's ?

If you're going for SUV's 6M would fetch you a relatively new Korean SUV (Santafe/Sorento/Sportage and Ssangyongs)- which would make more sense than going for much older SUV like a second gen Pajero. 

Resale value - of course cannot predict given the uncertainty in Sri Lanka (and heck even worldwide given what's going on ) less you spend less chance of loss. 

if you elaborate more we can provide more/better suggestions. 

Thank you for your response! We don't plan on off-roading during our stay in Sri Lanka. Our travel will mostly involve visiting tourist attractions, beaches, upcountry, temples, and spending time with friends and family.

I prefer SUV, I thought we wouldn't get one under 6M. But If you could provide some guidance on where we can find listings for these Korean SUVs within our 6 million budget, it would be greatly appreciated. Any trusted websites or resources you could recommend would be a valuable starting point for our search.

12 hours ago, NRO said:

Thank you for your response! We don't plan on off-roading during our stay in Sri Lanka. Our travel will mostly involve visiting tourist attractions, beaches, upcountry, temples, and spending time with friends and family.

I prefer SUV, I thought we wouldn't get one under 6M. But If you could provide some guidance on where we can find listings for these Korean SUVs within our 6 million budget, it would be greatly appreciated. Any trusted websites or resources you could recommend would be a valuable starting point for our search.

You need to be a bit specific about the kids. How old are they ? Do they need baby seats or booster seats ?

If you look at the cars that @sathyajithj99 has mentioned...you can only have two baby seats in the back with no room for a third. OR one baby seat in the back, and barely enough room for two small bodies.

You are going to be in the same situation even if you get a SUV....Just two baby seats in the back although with just one baby seat you can have two people seated relatively well in the rear.

Even though you don't plan to travel off the main roads...an AWD car will help as:

1. the heavier weight and more stability of a larger, heavier car actually reduces body fatigue on long t drives. That and the extra room makes it a lot better experience than in a little hatchback/coupe-sedan

2. You may encounter badly paved roads so the extra height helps. Also, most decent SUVs have suspension components that are more robust than in a small sedan.

15 hours ago, NRO said:

We don't plan on off-roading during our stay in Sri Lanka. Our travel will mostly involve visiting tourist attractions, beaches, upcountry, temples, and spending time with friends and family.

This then means, that Sathyajith's recommendations will be a good starting point. Of the lot - the most commonly available will be the Fit Shuttle - a favourite among tour operators as well. Fit's are very practical cars and if you want to carry stuff for the family then the added practicality and the numerous storage options (you have storage spaces everywhere) will be a bit helpful. With the Fit Shuttle -being a hybrid you will not have a spare-wheel though. That space is taken for the hybrid battery. 

The fielder is also a rather under-appreciated car. The airwave is of course a little less common. 

15 hours ago, NRO said:

I prefer SUV, I thought we wouldn't get one under 6M. But If you could provide some guidance on where we can find listings for these Korean SUVs within our 6 million budget

Your budget will fetch a fairly good Kia sportage - particulary petrols are a bit cheaper. Hyundai Santafe's and Tucson's are also in your budget. Re - where to look - just google 'kia sportage for sale in sri lanka' the first two hits are usually from i****.lk and riy******* ... also facebook marketplace might have including automobile groups on facebook.