• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

European Cars- Mercedes, Bmw, Audi

AfzGTR

do you European cars such as Mercedes, BMW and Audi have something in their paint that stops them from rusting?? :rolleyes:

The answer to your question can be found through a Google search. Please develop the habit of first going to Google to find answers to your questions.

It is not the paint that stops rust, but more so a process done to steel known as galvanization. Audi was the first manufacturer to use 100% galvanized steel bodies in its cars back in the eighties or nineties. Now all modern cars including Japanese and Korean cars do.

Edited by Californikan

The answer to your question can be found through a Google search. Please develop the habit of first going to Google to find answers to your questions.

It is not the paint that stops rust, but more so a process done to steel known as galvanization. Audi was the first manufacturer to use 100% galvanized steel bodies in its cars back in the eighties or nineties. Now all modern cars including Japanese and Korean cars do.

two of ma uncles have these mercedes that were made in 86 or 93...and i cant find single place that has been rusted in them! :)

two of ma uncles have these mercedes that were made in 86 or 93...and i cant find single place that has been rusted in them! :)

Yes my uncles were born in 48 and 52 and i cant seem to find any rust in them either, they are a little overweight though :rolleyes:

It's a combination of good quality high gauge steel (so even if it rusts its just surface rust), galvanizing as Californikan suggested, multiple layers of paint and good under seal protection. This obviously does not apply to all European cars as these are premium brands (I've seen plenty that rust like there is no tomorrow particularly ones which were made by British Leyland :)).

Edited by The Don

It's a combination of good quality high gauge steel (so even if it rusts its just surface rust), galvanizing as Californikan suggested, multiple layers of paint and good under seal protection. This obviously does not apply to all European cars as these are premium brands (I've seen plenty that rust like there is no tomorrow particularly ones which were made by British Leyland :)).

hahah british leyland...is saw some videos made by topgear on them!!

anyway thnx for the info dude!

thanx brov!!

British leyland cars were basically made to fall apart. It was all part of the communist revolution hitting Britain, the worker wanted communism but the were basically forced to work so the only way they could carry the message to the outside was to show that workers are an important part in a community was by building sub par cars.

Wasn't exactly a bright idea cause that gave leyland a bad reputation and resulted in most of the workers loosing their jobs :rolleyes: