• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Vanette : Shake On Low Gears And When Breaking With Clutch Pressed

Cyclist

Question

Hi Guys,

from few days my Vanette c-22 has a small jerking effect when picking up from stand still and when about to stop with breaks and full clutch applied. No shake / jerking after speed is picked up, it just happens when picking up slowly and stopping.

I felt it like if the joints in the diff are loose or something, so I checked them, they seems to be ok but there is a small play and rattle.

I have very limited mechanical knowledge and on a very tight schedule till next weekend. Just want to know if anyone can tell me what are the possible faults and will it be hazardous to drive few days ?

Thanks in advance

PS: Checked the engine mounts too, they seems ok and no abnormal shakes when the engine is starting.

Edited by Cyclist

20 answers to this question

Hi Guys,

from few days my Vanette c-22 has a small jerking effect when picking up from stand still and when about to stop with breaks and full clutch applied. No shake / jerking after speed is picked up, it just happens when picking up slowly and stopping.

I felt it like if the joints in the diff are loose or something, so I checked them, they seems to be ok but there is a small play and rattle.

I have very limited mechanical knowledge and on a very tight schedule till next weekend. Just want to know if anyone can tell me what are the possible faults and will it be hazardous to drive few days ?

Thanks in advance

PS: Checked the engine mounts too, they seems ok and no abnormal shakes when the engine is starting.

this happens when the ac is on? btw did you mean vibrating?

this happens when the ac is on? btw did you mean vibrating?

Hi nexus, it happens with ac too. its like more like "gassenawa".

වෑන් එක පික් අප් කරන විට ගස්සනවා. බ්‍රේක් කරල නවතින්න ලන් වෙනකොටත් එහෙමයි. හරියට ක්ලච් එක දුන්න මදි වගේ.

Sorry for my poor English.

Hi nexus, it happens with ac too. its like more like "gassenawa".

වෑන් එක පික් අප් කරන විට ගස්සනවා. බ්‍රේක් කරල නවතින්න ලන් වෙනකොටත් එහෙමයි. හරියට ක්ලච් එක දුන්න මදි වගේ.

Sorry for my poor English.

did you recently clean engine nozzles it maybe caused the problem but from the look of it i think the problem is on the clutch.

did you recently clean engine nozzles it maybe caused the problem but from the look of it i think the problem is on the clutch.

yes, I had the injectors serviced about one month ago. Nozzles were good.

Just 1 had lost pressure a bit, which was corrected.

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

main gearbox mount can be another culprit...

also...how are your sparkplugs? if they haven't been replaced that too can be a reason.

also things like ignition timing etc...mostly stuff to do with ignition and fuel system

for instance...i once had a problem with the knock sensor wire coming loose. car performed very poorly putting putting out black smoke, stutterng etc etc.

connected the wire back and it was all fine...

another remote possibility is a bad clutch and or bad pressure plate.

but in that case you should experience issues shifting gears and poor performance when accelerating

main gearbox mount can be another culprit...

also...how are your sparkplugs? if they haven't been replaced that too can be a reason.

also things like ignition timing etc...mostly stuff to do with ignition and fuel system

for instance...i once had a problem with the knock sensor wire coming loose. car performed very poorly putting putting out black smoke, stutterng etc etc.

connected the wire back and it was all fine...

another remote possibility is a bad clutch and or bad pressure plate.

but in that case you should experience issues shifting gears and poor performance when accelerating

Ripper , Its a diesel engine. Will check the gearbox mounts.

thanks

I'd say check both of the universal joints not forgetting to check gearbox mounts as Ripper said.

and ripper, no it doesn't have spark plugs afaik

:D

oops...i thought it was a petrol :P

Guys,

Managed to show the van to a mechanic , the guy wants to remove the propeller and see the uni. joints and other stuff to diagnose.. nothing else to do, Im going to let him do it tomorrow.

Thanks for the support.

Guys,

Managed to show the van to a mechanic , the guy wants to remove the propeller and see the uni. joints and other stuff to diagnose.. nothing else to do, Im going to let him do it tomorrow.

Thanks for the support.

hey good luck with that Cyclist and if you can post what happen with mechanic :)

Guys,

Thanks for the support.

thought as much it would be the Universal joints as it's the usual culprit in this nature of faults, keep us updated.

thought as much it would be the Universal joints as it's the usual culprit in this nature of faults, keep us updated.

Yes Friend, as you suspected its the universal joints.

Just one uni. joint was worn out. Bought a new one for Rs.1300 and had it fitted to the shaft by an engineering shop.

Best part happened next, when it was given to the mechanic to fix it to the vehicle, he said its not done correctly by the shop.

The bugger at the lathe machine (was in a hurry to go home see the match ), had not centered the joint to the shaft!

Mechanic says there is about 2mm mis-align and would give a vibration at high speeds. if fitted like this. ( the problem I had was vibration at low speeds :) )

Then the time was 6PM and everything postpone to tomorrow. may be it will be needed to do everything from the start again as the uni-joint caps are steel welded to the propeller jaws to prevent it from coming out. This was done after boring the jaw to accommodate the new uni-joint using a seamer. The caps were fitted to the jaw using a hydrolic press machine.

I think this is pretty messed up now. I'm Thinking of buying the whole thing from a recondition spare part place and fitting it.

Hate travelling on bus and with the propeller shaft in hand its going to be a funny day tomorrow . :)

All this trouble because my father is sick these days . otherwise bugger would get these done for me as he did all these years , anyway time for me to learn the trade now :)

thanks all , will be staying around , there's lot to be learned from this forum and good people.

cheers

Edited by Cyclist

Just one uni. joint was worn out. Bought a new one for Rs.1300 and had it fitted to the shaft by an engineering shop.

Best part happened next, when it was given to the mechanic to fix it to the vehicle, he said its not done correctly by the shop.

The bugger at the lathe machine (was in a hurry to go home see the match ), had not centered the joint to the shaft!

Mechanic says there is about 2mm mis-align and would give a vibration at high speeds. if fitted like this. ( the problem I had was vibration at low speeds :) )

Then the time was 6PM and everything postpone to tomorrow. may be it will be needed to do everything from the start again as the uni-joint caps are steel welded to the propeller jaws to prevent it from coming out. This was done after boring the jaw to accommodate the new uni-joint using a seamer. The caps were fitted to the jaw using a hydrolic press machine.

I think this is pretty messed up now. I'm Thinking of buying the whole thing from a recondition spare part place and fitting it.

Hate travelling on bus and with the propeller shaft in hand its going to be a funny day tomorrow . :)

All this trouble because my father is sick these days . otherwise bugger would get these done for me as he did all these years , anyway time for me to learn the trade now :)

thanks all , will be staying around , there's lot to be learned from this forum and good people.

cheers

typical scenario with grease monkeys. Trust me i've gone through the same with the J44. The beauty of J44 was such that i took off the rear drive shaft at home and drove the jeep to spare part shop, lathe shop and drove it home and re-fitted the shaft. How? In the 4wd mode, as a front wheel drive vehicle. ;)

cheers

consider yourself a one lucky guy when our vehicle broke down always i am the one who takes it to mechanic. :D

once we need to find a power steering rack to ours good old vanette we search it for all most week then we give it up and fitted it with caravan one.

Edited by nexus

hey, new drama today, when I went to the garage the mec has fitted the things after correcting the mis-align himself. He has removed the welding spots and re-done it himself !

Did a trial about 10 kms at various speeds and places , all seems to be ok. now I dont feel like I need the original parts , but feels like I've cheated the vehicle :)

typical scenario with grease monkeys. Trust me i've gone through the same with the J44. The beauty of J44 was such that i took off the rear drive shaft at home and drove the jeep to spare part shop, lathe shop and drove it home and re-fitted the shaft. How? In the 4wd mode, as a front wheel drive vehicle. ;)

thats cool, its wonderful when you can select the drive, isn't it ?

consider yourself a one lucky guy when our vehicle broke down always i am the one who takes it to mechanic. :D

once we need to find a power steering rack to ours good old vanette we search it for all most week then we give it up and fitted it with caravan one.

those parts are getting rarer for these oldies.

I think no more old vanettes there in Japan even to sell for parts now :) lolz

yes it is true but some parts from caravan and other vehicle work on vanette.

hey, new drama today, when I went to the garage the mec has fitted the things after correcting the mis-align himself. He has removed the welding spots and re-done it himself !

Did a trial about 10 kms at various speeds and places , all seems to be ok. now I dont feel like I need the original parts , but feels like I've cheated the vehicle :)

part with it quickly :P

thats cool, its wonderful when you can select the drive, isn't it ?

true but the same cannot be done with nowadays 4WDs and AWDs.

good observation there. Yes quite right as I helped out a friend to get his 110 sorted out and apparently 110 parts are now becoming rare in Delkanda joints!! Scary for Toyota lovers who buys considering nothing but availability of cheap spare parts.