• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Radiation Contamination In Sea Water.

MkX

Guys first of all I must say there is not intension in spreading rumors or solid proof this happened. But just I was informed by my collegue and I thought sharing the information on forum. If any body has contacts/authority to verify this and enlighten the general public that would be much better.

:unsure:

I friend of mine got a call from his brother in law, who is in Japan informed him not to buy any fish producs in local market may be in couple of months from now onwards. Japanese fishermen has stopped fishing in Japanese sea due to release of radiation contaminated sea water last couple of weeks. They have got rumors that south asian long distance boats now fishing in japanese sea.

Edited by MkX

Guys first of all I must say there is not intension in spreading rumors or solid proof this happened. But just I was informed by my collegue and I thought sharing the information on forum. If any body has contacts/authority to verify this and enlighten the general public that would be much better.

:unsure:

I friend of mine got a call from his brother in law, who is in Japan informed him not to buy any fish producs in local market may be in couple of months from now onwards. Japanese fishermen has stopped fishing in Japanese sea due to release of radiation contaminated sea water last couple of weeks. They have got rumors that south asian long distance boats now fishing in japanese sea.

How is this info relevant to us? AFAIK there aren't any Sri Lankan boats fishing off the japanese coast. Also any radiation spread in the ocean would be in extremely small amounts by the time it reaches the coast of any other country. If you didn't know already, Sri Lanka EXPORTS fish to Japan not the other way around.

A friend got an sms saying the Pacific was being contaminated, but seeing as how misinformation seems to spread so quickly nowadays, I'd suggest you do a search on Google.

Yes noramly I do check these things specially in news.bbc.co.uk

Did some more web look up here are some facts and numbers. Guess there is no impact at all. However my friend go the call today and he told me when I go to buy a fish luch with him. ;)

The relatively high mineral (potassium, iodine and calcium) concentrations in seawater tend to reduce marine food chain concentrations of cesium-137, iodine-131 and strontium-90 dramatically, as compared to freshwater systems, Whicker said. The data he has seen from offshore water samples indicates that levels of radioactivity would need to be orders of magnitude higher to yield dangerous doses to local fish.

Any mutant fish that have been born are likely to quickly die out. Genetic effects can occur as a result of the releases, but it seems unlikely that they will be observed because of rapid natural selection of abnormal individuals in such a huge, open environment, Whicker explained.

Levels of cesium-137 especially, and possibly iodine-131 for a few more weeks, may approach concentrations in fish, shellfish and seaweed that might exceed guidelines for human consumption.

Even so, consumption poses minimal danger. As Robert Peter Gale, a hematologist who helped coordinate medical relief efforts after both the Chernobyl and Fukushima nuclear disasters, told Bloomberg last week, No one could

http://www.tehrantimes.com/

Edit: too many spellings mistakes :D

Edited by MkX

How is this info relevant to us? AFAIK there aren't any Sri Lankan boats fishing off the japanese coast. Also any radiation spread in the ocean would be in extremely small amounts by the time it reaches the coast of any other country. If you didn't know already, Sri Lanka EXPORTS fish to Japan not the other way around.

Not entirely completely accurate. For example, Nihonbashi advertises the fact that they buy their Tuna in the Japanese fish markets. Might have to avoid Nihonbashi for a while. Tho I dunno what they will do to secure their supplies. They may buy from elsewhere until its safe.

Not entirely completely accurate. For example, Nihonbashi advertises the fact that they buy their Tuna in the Japanese fish markets. Might have to avoid Nihonbashi for a while. Tho I dunno what they will do to secure their supplies. They may buy from elsewhere until its safe.

huh I guess you proved me wrong then. Never knew tuna was imported here since one of our largest seafood exports is infact yellow fin tuna and to the japanese market at that. I guess they maybe impoting blue fin.

Apita ithin koheda salli Japan Maalu kanna... ;)

Too bad. It was one of the cheaper places my ex used to like. Besides, you might have been able to if you didn't have to pump gas for a 3l V6 and keep fixing parts that keep falling off. Thats the price you pay for that pleasure, just like Nihonbashi was the price I paid for mine :)

huh I guess you proved me wrong then. Never knew tuna was imported here since one of our largest seafood exports is infact yellow fin tuna and to the japanese market at that. I guess they maybe impoting blue fin.

No idea which it is, but they have it on the videos of "Culinary Journeys with Darshan" that they keep playing.

well...a certain friend who knows the chef at that restaurant told me that they buy the tuna from our fish market. In fact, the chef himself goes there to pick the fish up. I really doubt jap yft getting imported here since the sushi crowd isn't exactly a large segment...

especially when yft is plentiful in our waters and they get exported to japan..

unless the indian ocean too gets polluted, chances are slim that our fishing getting affected.

majority of our fishing craft can't really venture out that deep and certainly not to the sea of japan.

on a slightly bad note...YFT's are migratory species so they tend to swim thousands of miles in their run.

so there is a chance that radiation affected tuna swimming in to our waters and them getting caught here.

Too bad. It was one of the cheaper places my ex used to like. Besides, you might have been able to if you didn't have to pump gas for a 3l V6 and keep fixing parts that keep falling off. Thats the price you pay for that pleasure, just like Nihonbashi was the price I paid for mine :)

No idea which it is, but they have it on the videos of "Culinary Journeys with Darshan" that they keep playing.

http://www.nihonbashi.lk/philosophy.html

At Nihonbashi I have strived to instill a deep seated Japanese principle, where we try to bring out the best in an ingredient with every thing we do, always keeping the final result in mind. We do this because the complexity of Japanese cuisine stems from its simplicity. For example to serve the best tuna sashimi in Sri Lanka we have to find the best tuna!

In fact, we must be the only restaurant in the world to purchase tuna whole from the docks where it is graded and most of our seafood is purchased from those destined for overseas markets and sometimes hard to find in the country.Nihonbashi encapsulates uniqueness, simplicity and attention to detail.

In fact, we must be the only restaurant in the world to purchase tuna whole from the docks where it is graded and most of our seafood is purchased from those destined for overseas markets and sometimes hard to find in the country.Nihonbashi encapsulates uniqueness, simplicity and attention to detail.

Ahh, must have misunderstood this part :) Tho there is a video of Dharshan wandering around a fish market with lots of Japanese folk around. But good to know I can keep eating there. Rather fond of Japanese food. :)

well...a certain friend who knows the chef at that restaurant told me that they buy the tuna from our fish market. In fact, the chef himself goes there to pick the fish up. I really doubt jap yft getting imported here since the sushi crowd isn't exactly a large segment...

especially when yft is plentiful in our waters and they get exported to japan..

unless the indian ocean too gets polluted, chances are slim that our fishing getting affected.

majority of our fishing craft can't really venture out that deep and certainly not to the sea of japan.

on a slightly bad note...YFT's are migratory species so they tend to swim thousands of miles in their run.

so there is a chance that radiation affected tuna swimming in to our waters and them getting caught here.

Exactly how close to the shore do they come in?I'm sure as long as they are in the deep they should be fine. Also, kind of curious about their migratory patterns.

Exactly how close to the shore do they come in?I'm sure as long as they are in the deep they should be fine. Also, kind of curious about their migratory patterns.

they are pretty deep offshore machang!

all you get closer is the smaller tunas like skipjacks, bonitos etc

on one of my deep sea fishing runs we met up with a trawler mid sea that had landed two 150+kg range yft's... a good 60km offshore in deep water..

most our smaller fishing craft and even ones with obm's don't go that far due to higher fuel costs.

Now now... no need to bring in my Ahinsaka Alfa in to this fish talk... besides her parts do not fall off... ;)

Talking about Exs... tell me about it.. Mine would have run me in to bankruptcy... pumping gas in to a 3.0 V6 is a pleasure compared to that torture. Who the f. is Jimmy Choo BTW?

they are pretty deep offshore machang!

all you get closer is the smaller tunas like skipjacks, bonitos etc

on one of my deep sea fishing runs we met up with a trawler mid sea that had landed two 150+kg range yft's... a good 60km offshore in deep water..

most our smaller fishing craft and even ones with obm's don't go that far due to higher fuel costs.

Yeah but don't they come closer to shore when they lay eggs?

On another note you should try deep sea fly fishing. Watched a couple of videos. Seems like fun, although the reels are hella expenive.

Yeah but don't they come closer to shore when they lay eggs?

On another note you should try deep sea fly fishing. Watched a couple of videos. Seems like fun, although the reels are hella expenive.

dunno machang... most fisherfolk i know have never caught a YFT nearshore... i suppose "closer to shore" is relative cos if our buggers knew tuna are coming in close during a particular season they would jump at the opportunity. especially since tuna tends to be topwater feeders and a shoal can be spotted quite from quite a distance.

yeah...i've seen on the web how some folks do the whole offshore flyfishing thing. i suppose you have to hit a good area with loads of fish feeding on the surface. unfortunately most our nearshore fish stocks have been severely depleted thanks to majority of our fishing fleet only fishing closer to shore.

even we have no choice but to venture deeper and deeper out to sea nowadays to land something :(