• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Experts Please Help Me I Am In A Big Trouble Due To The New Restrictions Of Used Period

ranjamallo

Question

On 16th of April I ordered a Japanese Allion car from the "HAA KOBE" auction. To buy the car from auctions I have paid an refundable deposit of 200,000 JPY to JPC. They have bought the car for me. They send me the required proforma Invoice on Wednesday. I wasn't able to open the LC on that week. But next week I realized that government has increased the taxes and reduced the vehicle used period. The car I was bought is about 3 years.

Now I am in a big trouble. I can't import the vehicle to Sri Lanka. They don't give my deposit back. What I can do now ?

Why policy makers don't care this much about ordinary people. At least they could gave 2 additional days to open LCs to people who already bought vehicles.

Experts, Please help me. Otherwise nothing I can do than Suicide

23 answers to this question

Not only you. Lot of private importers suffering from this decision. I am wondering why politicians not helping the private importers who suffering from the quick implementation of the vehicle age regulation.

This is not a problem to car sale owners. They will be happy with this decision and the sudden implementation

Dr. Newil Goonawardena has given permissions to issue license to those who suffering from this quick decision. Go and talk to him. Good Luck Buddy

Dr. Newil Goonawardena, Director General ( Trade, Tariff & Investment Policy)

well you wouldn't want to commit suicide over this matter. If you are having suicidal thoughts then please visit http://srilankasumithrayo.org/.

As for the problem at hand, did you try contacting customs and trying to explain that you have already placed a deposit on the car and it has already been obtained? From what I've heard vehicles that were already shipped out or purchased will have to pay the new rate but the new regs. about the age will not apply. I'm sure there must be a way around this, someone here should know more.

On 16th of April I ordered a Japanese Allion car from the "HAA KOBE" auction. To buy the car from auctions I have paid an refundable deposit of 200,000 JPY to JPC. They have bought the car for me. They send me the required proforma Invoice on Wednesday. I wasn't able to open the LC on that week. But next week I realized that government has increased the taxes and reduced the vehicle used period. The car I was bought is about 3 years.

Now I am in a big trouble. I can't import the vehicle to Sri Lanka. They don't give my deposit back. What I can do now ?

Why policy makers don't care this much about ordinary people. At least they could gave 2 additional days to open LCs to people who already bought vehicles.

don't be foolish dude suicide dont solve anything anyone's life is far more valuable than any vehicle and remember there's always a another way and already sapumal is giving you a one. :)

Dude,

So sad to here this. I heard some people got the chance to open Back dated LC's in some banks on the 25th & 26th of April. Deffineatly policy makers will increase the Tax agian! In a TV interview (last year December I guess) the CB Governor stated that public should not panic & order vehicles immediatley, but to take time & leisurely select a car & to bring it down since they have no intension of increasing the tax again. They tell one thing and do the right opposite of it as usual! :D

well you wouldn't want to commit suicide over this matter. If you are having suicidal thoughts then please visit http://srilankasumithrayo.org/.

As for the problem at hand, did you try contacting customs and trying to explain that you have already placed a deposit on the car and it has already been obtained? From what I've heard vehicles that were already shipped out or purchased will have to pay the new rate but the new regs. about the age will not apply. I'm sure there must be a way around this, someone here should know more.

When I inquired from customs they stated that if someone has open a LC before 24/04/20011, the new tax nor the new manufacture year rule won't come into play.

When I inquired from customs they stated that if someone has open a LC before 24/04/20011, the new tax nor the new manufacture year rule won't come into play.

The new tax is applicable irrespective of when the LC was open. Even the cars stuck at the port were subject to the revised taxation

Nevil can issue Import Control License to those who opened or going to open LC after 24th of April. If you can prove that you have an already ordered vehicle it should be an easily task.

http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=23880

But,

* According to the policy defined by Nevil, to eligible for this you need to have an opened LC first

* According to the circular send on 25th of April to all the banks, any bank should not obtain LC for the vehicles older than 24 months. But if you can bring a permission letter from Nevil they will open a LC for your vehicle

* Nevil doesn’t care or issue letters to private importers who importing vehicle for own usage. If you are a car seller who has lot of vehicles in Japan they will consider. Also one who went to meet him regarding this matter said me; he said that he is only authorized to give license to licensed importers.

If you are not sure about my comments please go and see. Lot of people come to there

His staff in Import control department can easily understand the situation. But it has almost 5 days. Still Nevil hasn't understand the situation

New tax is imposed on each and every customs entry (this is submitted after car has arrived and is inspected by customs) submitted after 23-April.

However, if you have documentation to prove that you paid the refundable deposit on 16-Apr etc... you should be able to establish that the transaction had been initiated before 23rd so can apply for special import license.

If not my advice would be to cut your losses and get out of the deal. Japanese guys are professional car dealers and could easily sell the car off.

Personally, I've been getting a lot of shit from all corners Seller, Shipping Company, Clearing Agents, Ports Authority......trying to clear my car which arrived on the 15th of April.... and I just don't think it's worth the hassle.

I can't understand. Why there is a prerequisite of a opened LC ?

No bank in Sri Lanka can open LC on or after 25th April for the vehicles older than 2 years. Dr. Newil must know this because he is also belongs to the Ministry of Finance.

Option 1: Talk to Nevil whoever and see what can be done.

Option 2: Talk to the Japanese auctioneer and explain the situation to them. They are very well aware of changes like this. Try to use the same deposit to get another car within 2 year limit.

Option 3: Talk to a bank and see if they can backdate an LC. You may need to pull some strings for this.

Option 4: Seek a court order if you can. Not an easy/cheap/quick job.

Option 5: If the deposit is refundable, get out of the deal.

currently we enjoying the wonder of asia :angry:

:D my pleasure nexus.you seem to be enjoying the wonders and will enjoying disney land very soon :lol: really feel sorry for those people who are in trouble due to these sudden stupid policy changing. :angry: always it favorable towards the richest of the rich in the land. :angry:

It is very sad to hear your story.

This is not ethical but I think I am giving the best and most practical option to you. I have being dealing with these people for a long period. Some policies are come from the corrupted (few) policy makers for self welfare.

Go and talk to him. Even if you have all the proofs don't go with empty hand. Slowly try to enter to the topic. He will redirect you to somewhere. Even if you are a private importer he will consider.

I don't know whether you know about the cricket bat incident and the very recent Indian Imported tomatoes incident.

Option 2: Talk to the Japanese auctioneer and explain the situation to them. They are very well aware of changes like this.

this would prob be your only option right now..bring it down and sell it off at break even or loss

I don't see it as an option to him. It is almost impossible to contact auction holders. Even auction holder can't do anything. Seller has to agree to buy or cancel the deal. Japanese agent has bought it from the car owner through the auction. Sometime his Japanese Agent may not know anything about the seller ? It is like how shares trading in the share marker. Buyer don't know about seller or seller don't know about buyer

Edited by sapumal

Thanks all for the advices

I went there (2 days), but didn't get an opportunity to meet him

Tomorrow,it will be all over. They will sell the car to minimize losses.

I will have more than 100,000 JPY loss even if I could sell it for the purchased price

5% of the consumption tax and other taxes for the transaction = 80,000 JPY

Auction fees, agent fees will also be there.

I got this contact. It is all over for me,but if you still suffering please contact them

The Parliamentary Commissioner for Administration (Ombudsman)

6 Elibank Road colombo 5

Tel: 2588798

Fax: 2584140

email: [email protected]