• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

How To Ac An Old Vw

rameez

Guys,

I want to know if there is a possibility of air conditioning a classic bug, i mean there will be a drop in power but i have seen some online photos where you can add an AC to a bug. has any forum member done it, how will be the evaporator be fixed if so...i have a friend who wants to do it and keep his bug for some more time rather than sell it and go for AC Japanese car .

Any information much appreciated.

rameez

Guy who used to do A/C stuff of my old 504s did this once. Mounting the compressor is the biggest head ache and the owner sourced original mountings from Japan, cost him a lot back then. Mounted the condensor on the front most position of the boot and had to make some holes to ventelate the condensor. These holes were not visible much as the front bumper was giving some covering. System required quite a lot of refregirent as A/C tubing ran all over the car. The cooler was a hang on type universal cooler/blower unit.

Guy who used to do A/C stuff of my old 504s did this once. Mounting the compressor is the biggest head ache and the owner sourced original mountings from Japan, cost him a lot back then. Mounted the condensor on the front most position of the boot and had to make some holes to ventelate the condensor. These holes were not visible much as the front bumper was giving some covering. System required quite a lot of refregirent as A/C tubing ran all over the car. The cooler was a hang on type universal cooler/blower unit.

was the holes in front enough to cool the condenser....i mean there has to be a fan for it to cool...and then there is also no space for the spare tyre as wellll right...... :unsure:

was the holes in front enough to cool the condenser....i mean there has to be a fan for it to cool...and then there is also no space for the spare tyre as wellll right...... :unsure:

yup, not the best place and there was a small fan installed from the inner side of the condensor. I remember cooling was sufficient but not the best

Well Rameez while it maybe possible it might not be worth it espcially if your friend cares a lot about fuel consumption as VW with an AC will drink a lot of juice also the pulling power maybe be less with the AC on

btw,hows ur lancer wagon these days any new issues? did u fix the stereo yet? how much does it do on petrol ? (i think u dont have an AC for it right)

Well Rameez while it maybe possible it might not be worth it espcially if your friend cares a lot about fuel consumption as VW with an AC will drink a lot of juice also the pulling power maybe be less with the AC on

btw,hows ur lancer wagon these days any new issues? did u fix the stereo yet? how much does it do on petrol ? (i think u dont have an AC for it right)

car boy it is fine.... i had a bit of wiring issues and they were sorted out...yet to fix an AC but getting quotes....some range from 25000 to 45000 LKR for this job. :unsure:

will fix a stereo this week hopefully if i can find time.

petrol i get about 12-14 but then it is without AC.

Edited by rameez

Wow Rameez thats a good figure and is it in Colombo traffic and i hope ur meters are working fine

I know a guy who can fix up A/C fairly cheap got a compressor for an ol lancer for 6000 two years ago,i'l dig out his contacts and PM you ok,he is quite reasonable in his charges too

car boy it is fine.... i had a bit of wiring issues and they were sorted out...yet to fix an AC but getting quotes....some range from 25000 to 45000 LKR for this job. :unsure:

will fix a stereo this week hopefully if i can find time.

petrol i get about 12-14 but then it is without AC.

Wow Rameez thats a good figure and is it in Colombo traffic and i hope ur meters are working fine

I know a guy who can fix up A/C fairly cheap got a compressor for an ol lancer for 6000 two years ago,i'l dig out his contacts and PM you ok,he is quite reasonable in his charges too

well i am talking of 40-50 from roxy to end of kollupitiya daily.........and since i go to office at about 9.00 AM the traffic is not that much...so may be in the heavy traffic this would be even less.

please PM me the contact machang.do you have a lancer also..... i heard that we must fix a compressor which comes from a maruti or march so that the engine will not strain itself.