• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bad/damage Silencer Effects Fuel Economy?

LancerL

When silencer repair man removed the silencer, he asked me to replace the barrel and the pipe ends till muffler!!!

as I've seen, there were no holes or damages on the barrel. But the pipe till muffler had been welded on couple of places..

so I asked him why you're suggesting me to replace these things hence they were in good condition. Then he said Sir, you cant get better fuel economy with these things (He mentioned my pipe from barrel to muffler was narrowed from some places).

Finally I asked him to not to replace anything and just do the repair. Actually he repaired it well and now the big sound from engine has gone away.

Dear friends, kindly tell me what he said was correct?, is it affecting fuel economy?

But everything is ok now and engine sounds good, still is their any chance for that?

Thanks..

yes. bad damage silencer will effects to your fuel economy badly. you can smell the unburnt fuel smell too. that indicates your vehicle is not doing good on fuel because of the mentioned problem. but as you state i cant see any fault in your silencer system as your mechanic said.it should be in good from engine to end of silencer.

• Like 1