• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Loud Noise From Rear Of Car, Speed Sensitive

Hiran_j

Question

I have been experiencing this issue for few months with my Swift.

When the speed of the car gets above 50 or 60 KMPH there is a bit loud noise coming from the rear of the car (I think its from the tires).

Also, a person sitting behind could notice bit of vibration.

Could this be a problem with the rear suspension ? I hope it would not be a costly repair ? :speechless-smiley-019: :speechless-smiley-019:

Any expert comment on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks !

14 answers to this question

I have been experiencing this issue for few months with my Swift.

When the speed of the car gets above 50 or 60 KMPH there is a bit loud noise coming from the rear of the car (I think its from the tires).

Could this be a problem with the rear suspension ? I hope it would not be a costly repair ? :speechless-smiley-019: :speechless-smiley-019:

Any expert comment on this is highly appreciated.

Thanks !

Can you be more elaborate on the 'sound' you here. The way you have described provides no clue. You have only mentioned a sound, is it a bang, thud, creek, hum does it continue, does it go away when you lower the speed..........

How old the tires are ? at least the ones in the rear. Try to change the noicy tire with the spare wheel or one of front tires and see whether the noise get reduced. If it goes off, at least from that tire, the plies in the tire are damaged and is nearing it's life. If not, it's for sure the rear wheel bearings.

Like JDB says, get your bearings checked and replaced. My van had a similar issue with the front left wheel, the passenger could feel the vibration with their feet. Actually, it was more like a grinding sensation, what we would describe using the vernacular as "ketenawa". We ended up replacing both the inner and out bearings on the left hub.

bearing replacements for modern front wheel drive cars are jolly expensive. cos its a part of the whole hub. so you'll have to replace the entire unit. compare prices with the agents then at a good shop in panchikawatte and finally if you are happy with it at a used spares shop. they can sell you an entire axle for 10-20k.

to give you an idea of what the prices are like brand new hubs for my ncp13 vitz is 46k a piece and a recon axle is just 12.5k

I had that same problem too. One day I decided to check it out. When I opened the boot I found my mother-in-law in there. I guess I should remember to let her out every once in a while.

on a serious note though, try to find a new hub instead of putting in a "reconditioned" one. There;s not such thing as reconditioned when it comes to most car parts. They are used and likely will come off a car with high mileage. There's no guarantee it won't fail in another 10k. Why take the risk. You would be surprised how some things could be had for real cheap at panchi, so have the hub remmoved and take a walk for about two ours in panchi going from shop to shop.