• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Old Lancer A72 Air Condition

rameez

Question

Hi guys,

I have a lancer station wagon a72 (1975) 1438 Cc, and this car has been my daily runner. I want to A/C it now. The car has vents on either side of the dashboard and it has a Saturn engine which is enough for air condition. However when the mechanic checked my car he stated that the ducts for the car are missing and suggested a hang on type blower , I am not very comfortable with this and prefer the air to be flown from the original vents it self. some of my friends told me that there are in dash systems which can be fixed into the dash board and connect the vents via ducts which can be bought in the market. I want to keep the car original as possible and don’t want to spoil the dashboard looks which is in good condition by putting a hang on type.

Can any one suggest any alternative.

Here are a few links i got ,, do you think this is there in sri lanka

http://www.nostalgic...or-units-88.php

The car was not cleaned a bit these days and sorry for the fussy images this is being restored bit by bit..... :lol: :lol:

post-2967-0-86707500-1330415241_thumb.jp

Edited by rameez

7 answers to this question

These are similar to hang on type but with some duct outs where you can do a custom duct panel/tubing to direct air to original air vents. You have to make sure minimum air / cold air loose in this tubing though. I have seen that type of A/C units in many old cars including one of 504s I had and a Carmanghia.

Issue with that verses conventional original A/C units (cool box type) is that unit won't hold cold much inside. Therefore, the moment compressor cuts off, you tend to feel a difference in the air that blows. Didn't like when that happens as you tend to feel a bit uneasy. Was looking for alternatives and came up with the option of fixing a used cool box from a similar sized car.

You can buy the entire cool box from junk yards in Delkanda and if the evaporator coil is good, you can continue to use the same. Be very careful and let the A/C technician also judge the condition of the evaporator. An A/C technician once told me, these coils are efficient than the new after market coolers manufactured in Malaysia / Taiwan. Also go for a cool box of a popular car where coolers will be freely available if you need any replacement.

Also you may be able to find duct pipes in the same place and with a bit of cut and chop you should be able to make custom duct pipe which directs cold air from the coolbox to A/C vents.

• Like 1

@ Rameez,mate the gear box cover has a box like bit with the vents which connects to the dashboard,in your car its missing,Panchikawatte is the ideal lace to get it

i think i sent you the links with pics on how it will look from a website sometime back right?

in this model the cool air comes from the vents just above the gear box cover

i think i know what you are talking of , i have this part at the back of my car and this was from the watte( i bought it), but the problem is not that ,where are the controls and the evaporator going to be fixed. there are some side vents in the car and my mechanic says that that there a ducts under the dashboard which needs to fixed from the blower motor.

These are similar to hang on type but with some duct outs where you can do a custom duct panel/tubing to direct air to original air vents. You have to make sure minimum air / cold air loose in this tubing though. I have seen that type of A/C units in many old cars including one of 504s I had and a Carmanghia.

harshan you know where you can get one of this from....i have never seen this type in srilanka only the hang on type ones.....???

harshan you know where you can get one of this from....i have never seen this type in srilanka only the hang on type ones.....???

sorry for taking long to reply.

This is not a different type, it's the same as any hang-on type. But the facia panel is different. Instead of the vents fixed in conventional hang-on type, this has an enclosed facia panel with four rounded shape openings. You can fix ducts to these openings and direct those ducts to the A/C vents in the dash. The controls (blower speed control and temp control) comes seperately.

I haven't personally bought a unit like this but must be available with popular names. Also give a ring to this chap, a competent A/C guy specially for custom A/C jobs for old cars.

Sanath Bandara - 714 274 683