• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starlet Np90 Diesel Engine Swap And Abs Upgrade

topgear

Question

Hi guys,

Hope everyones keeping well. The reason for this post is, I got a two door Starlet NP90 diesel with an engine running slighlty under compression. I still should be able to use it sometime but if ever I decide on replacing the engine, is there a possiblity for me to go for a Turbo Diesel engine? Would you recommend this and has anyone of you done this before? what might be my best swap option and what might be the cost?

Also, I've seen some starlets with ABS. My car doesn't have ABS but the wire harness which connects to the ABS unit under the bonnet is here. Is there any possiblity of enabling ABS?

Thanks in advance!

7 answers to this question

I think u should be able to shift in to a turbo engine. I have heard that the GLANZA S ( very rare diesel version of glanza ) comes with a diesel turbo engine, so u may also be able to use that in yours. Many glanza enthusiasts and experts here. They will enlighten u more. cheers

Go with a 1N-T from a tercel or corolla II. Should be a direct fit. Not sure if anybody's done this before but it should be possible provided there's enough room the turbo and manifold on the exhaust side. Usually there is but it won't hurt to check. You'll also have to change the radiator cos it might overheat when climbing hills with a heavy load. See if original 1nt radiator is compatible. Also see if you can get a gearbox with the engine cos your current gearbox be too slow. To get the best benefits fabricate exhaust tubing in a bigger diameter ideally with an original 1NT muffler. A 1c or 2c muffler off a car should also do if its small enough to fit. Also you might need a bigger flywheel. Wiring could be done by any skilled electrician. You might also have to find/fabricate air cleaner hoses because the intake will be different

As for ABS you'll need new brake lines, ABS regulator and you might have to change the wire harnesses of the entire vehicle. So not really worth it unless you are upgrading the entire vehicle with parts from a higher spec version.

@hasmax glanza s had a n/a petrol engine as opposed to the turbocharged glanza v. glanza's never came in diesel form and what you saw/heard of is probably a diesel starlet dressed up with glanza parts, something that happens a lot these days.

@JadeyBlitzen - A 1N-T off a Corolla II, including gear box and exhaust should do then. Thanks for the info. But something that also came into mind is since the Corolla II is an equally old model to what I presently have, I might have repairs on the engine I buy also, considering its age... That could mean extra cost and worse, a hassle running about!

Would overhauling the existing engine and fixing turbo to it work? There are turbos that can be hooked on to the existing engine right?

And thanks for the info regarding the ABS. Thought just plugging in the ABS unit would (magically) enable ABS!

fitting a turbo to an n/a engine is a lot of work. you'll need a new exhaust manifold, oil lines, provisions for oil lines, vacuum lines, diesel pump and more. considering the effort needed and the risk of failure its not worth it. either way you are looking at a big operation. have a look around big engine shops when you are free. if possible try arosha on kandy road peliyagoda. They can break an entire car and bring all the parts you need. their engines are usually pretty low mileage.

I think u should be able to shift in to a turbo engine. I have heard that the GLANZA S ( very rare diesel version of glanza ) comes with a diesel turbo engine, so u may also be able to use that in yours. Many glanza enthusiasts and experts here. They will enlighten u more. cheers

It seems Glanza has a turbo version, but I think it is petrol, not diesel.

Please check following link.

Glanza

http://web-cache.stream.ne.jp/www09/toyota-catalog/pdf/starlet-2-g/starlet-2-g_199712.pdf

Other versions

Reflect

http://web-cache.str...-2-r_199812.pdf

Remix

http://web-cache.str...-2-i_199810.pdf

Carat

http://web-cache.str...-2-c_199712.pdf

Edited by Sampath Gunasekera

fitting a turbo to an n/a engine is a lot of work. you'll need a new exhaust manifold, oil lines, provisions for oil lines, vacuum lines, diesel pump and more. considering the effort needed and the risk of failure its not worth it. either way you are looking at a big operation. have a look around big engine shops when you are free. if possible try arosha on kandy road peliyagoda. They can break an entire car and bring all the parts you need. their engines are usually pretty low mileage.

Thanks for the info. I'll be looking into this.