• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Micro Panda

PINTO

Question

A bit of controversy here as I thought it was a given that everyone knows this. All are Chinese made and nothing is "assembled" here according to what I've heard (and seen). The cars come with body protective stickers, minus fluids and wheels off. Assembly amounts to removing stickers, filling up fluids, fitting wheels, oh and pasting the badges in place. The Sssangyongs have leather done here if opted. All this hardly gets close to 35% local content to qualify for even partial duty free status. Unfair advantage as "you know who" are now supposedly the major shareholders. The person who created the enterprise no longer has a say. They get to sell Diesel SUVs lower than competitors petrol ones. All other importers need to establish LCs for permit holders but they have them in stock at bonded warehouses in the port - quicker delivery.They have the whole country fooled.

Why else has no one seen this state of the art factory? Should not this have been a show piece of the miracle of Asia? I think I better stop now as I see a couple of white vans outside. ;)

In India they did this for a long period to help local industry prosper, but it applied to all manufacturers. I have no problem in giving local businesses concessions as long as they import local people and source as many parts from local suppliers (not exactly always practical in SL). I mean I rejoiced at the good old days when D*MO, Latec and Colombo rider buses were assembled on Indian chassis and engines.

But it should be the same for any enterprising company who wants to venture into the business. But from what I hear, everybody else who wanted to setup of businesses engaging in assembly of vehicles from knock down kits got blocked. Now that is clearly a very crooked practice.

And thanks for enlightening us!

Edited by The Don

In India they did this for a long period to help local industry prosper, but it applied to all manufacturers. I have no problem in giving local businesses concessions as long as they import local people and source as many parts from local suppliers (not exactly always practical in SL). I mean I rejoiced at the good old days when D*MO, Latec and Colombo rider buses were assembled on Indian chassis and engines.

But it should be the same for any enterprising company who wants to venture into the business. But from what I hear, everybody else who wanted to setup of businesses engaging in assembly of vehicles from knock down kits got blocked. Now that is clearly a very crooked practice.

I thought I was alone. Seriously, I don't know who has decided to part with all the machinery we had in all these bus boddy assembly locations, Werahera (later became LaTech factory and now RMV), Kappetipola and Ekala. Could've saved millions of currency outflaw to Yindia..

I thought I was alone. Seriously, I don't know who has decided to part with all the machinery we had in all these bus boddy assembly locations, Werahera (later became LaTech factory and now RMV), Kappetipola and Ekala. Could've saved millions of currency outflaw to Yindia..

:D...

Werahara Body workshop was biggest body work shop in South East Asia....our good vice decision takers who ruled the country ruined these type of Valuable assets ...it had paint booths and all da facilities even Ruby rushi, TVS and BRIJ body work shop cant think of a body work shop similar to Werahara .......

bt wht micro does is simply assembling to get rid of high Duty charges..so that want do any good to Auto industry in SL..they haven't come up with their own designs after the 1st Micro car.....

• Like 1

The values are less and so the Commissions are less when just the chassis and engines are imported.