• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

4x4 Magazine 4x4 Of The Year

Gummybr

Has any of you people checked out the latest 4X4 magazine. There is a group test for 5 Door SUV's which consists of the VW Tourag Diesel V10, Merc M Class, Kia Sorento, Nissan Patrol, Toyota Land Cruiser Prado, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Land Rover Defender, Land Rover Discovery3, Range Rover Sport & Mitsubishi Shogun / Montero. The course vehicle was a Santana.

Most suprising is the top spot, the Discovery TdV6 wins beating the Defender & the rest.

What is most amazing is this standard New Generation vehicle has managed to oust the Defender which has been a proven off road vehicle. Here are the results (I cannot remember for exact the points earned by each vehicle, but I can be sure about the placing)

1st Land Rover Discovery 3 SE TdV6

2nd Land Rover Defender Td5

3rd Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0litre

4th Nissan Patrol 3.0D

5th Range Rover Sport TdV6

6th Volkswagon Tourag V10

7th Mercedes M Class

8th Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2l

9th Jeep Grand Cherokee

10th Kia Sorento (fitted with mud terrain tyres)

What do you think of the results?

• 11 months later...

Where do you get this magazine from im interested in getting this sought of magazines but have no clue where to get em from.PM me the details if u can since advertisin is nt allowed

cheers

1st Land Rover Discovery 3 SE TdV6

2nd Land Rover Defender Td5

3rd Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 3.0litre

4th Nissan Patrol 3.0D

5th Range Rover Sport TdV6

6th Volkswagon Tourag V10

7th Mercedes M Class

8th Mitsubishi Shogun 3.2l

9th Jeep Grand Cherokee

10th Kia Sorento (fitted with mud terrain tyres)

What do you think of the results?

Everything looks in place except for the Defender (though they have made major improvements in regard to quality) unless off roading capability was given heavy weightage. I'm particularly fond of the Dico 3.

Wonder why they ignored the Land Cruiser Sahara/Amazon.

I guess the Shogun would have dropped due to off road limitations, road noise levels and may be the running costs.

Any chance of getting hold of the criteria Gummybr?

Edited by milindu

Where do you get this magazine from im interested in getting this sought of magazines but have no clue where to get em from.PM me the details if u can since advertisin is nt allowed

cheers

Advertising is not allowed only for vehicle trading & local auto websites.

hmm... interesting

bit of a disappointment for Mitsubishi. guess the critics were right about the Volkswagen Tourag its right up there with the big boys

The Mitsu is seriously out dated tech. It has much oth the old one underneath so it's too old in this company.

Everything looks in place except for the Defender (though they have made major improvements in regard to quality) unless off roading capability was given heavy weightage. I'm particularly fond of the Dico 3.

Wonder why they ignored the Land Cruiser Sahara/Amazon.

I guess the Shogun would have dropped due to off road limitations, road noise levels and may be the running costs.

Any chance of getting hold of the criteria Gummybr?

Yes everything depends on the criteria and the weightage given for each criterion. The Land Crusier Sahara/Amazon and the Range Rover has been omitted. Maybe they did not fall withing the price bracket? Or no one takes them off road?

cheers

It's a v popular mag and available at a v popular book shop ;) Sometimes on shelf or you can order.

It's a v popular mag and available at a v popular book shop ;) Sometimes on shelf or you can order.

hay GTAm pls tell us the name of the magazine and where it can be purchased? :) there are no such restrictions on mentioning names of printed magz in the forum...so pls do share the info

hay GTAm pls tell us the name of the magazine and where it can be purchased? :) there are no such restrictions on mentioning names of printed magz in the forum...so pls do share the info

Ok well I'm guessing it is the "4X4 MAGAZINE" that Gummybr is refering to. If so I have seen them at Vijitha Yapa book shop many times.

If in is not available on the shelf you can always order it monthly like any of the other mags there. For example I have ordered "CAR" every month instead of direct subscription (which means blocking a lot of money).

Also I order "Top Gear" but occasionally when the preview interests me. For example the July issue is a celebration of Ferraris 60 years (just like the CAR May issue) so being an Italian Car fan I've ordered the July TG, not got it yet tho.

I also occasionally buy "Auto Italia" a Brit mag about Italian cars. When I see an interesting issue I just order off the net. Wish I could subscribe but then all this costs lots of money and with the damn rupee depreciation every second..................... :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys the same test has been done this time around by 4X4 magazine and you can check it out for yourselves at bookshops. Guess what the D3 wins again, Defender is placed the same with suprisingly the Range Sport coming in 3rd.

This time they've tested out 12 vehicles, namely.

Ssangyong Rexton

Nissan Pathfinder

Jeep Commander

Jeep Wrangler - 5 door model cant remember what they call it

Nissan Patrol

Jeep Cherokee

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Land Rover Defender

VW Tourage

Toyota Prado

MMC Shogun (Montero)

• 2 months later...
Hey guys the same test has been done this time around by 4X4 magazine and you can check it out for yourselves at bookshops. Guess what the D3 wins again, Defender is placed the same with suprisingly the Range Sport coming in 3rd.

This time they've tested out 12 vehicles, namely.

Ssangyong Rexton

Nissan Pathfinder

Jeep Commander

Jeep Wrangler - 5 door model cant remember what they call it

Nissan Patrol

Jeep Cherokee

Land Rover Discovery

Land Rover Range Rover Sport

Land Rover Defender

VW Tourage

Toyota Prado

MMC Shogun (Montero)

Any one know anything about the Disco 3 (light green KC-XXXX) which was 'parked' opposite Baristas at Horton Place today?

Mail me: [email protected]

Edited by milindu