• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Give Up A Civic Rs For A Carina Gt - Opinion Pls

Hola

Hi All,

Need your idea fast!!!...One of my close friends has a Honda RS year 2000(GQ number plates) and got a offer to exchange it for a carina GT (GT 170 BHP)...What do you think? Should he go for it or not? The offer ends next Monday as the seller has got a another offer for the Carina GT..

Hola

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All,

Need your idea fast!!!...One of my close friends has a Honda RS year 2000(GQ number plates) and got a offer to exchange it for a carina GT (GT 170 BHP)...What do you think? Should he go for it or not? The offer ends next Monday as the seller has got a another offer for the Carina GT..

Hola

What's the model year of the GT? From performance wise the GT is definitely a notch above the RS. But you have to consider the market price also... so give the detail and we might be able to say wether it's a worthy deal or not....

Hi All,

Hola

your answer is simply on the other thread bro...Ashan's thread.. :D

Hi All,

Hola

Machang Hola... firstly the GT is a faster car (on a stock position)......but the RS is a better package simply cos:

• Better fuel efficiency
  • Better looks (bias)
  • Newer model
  • Better market price
  • Brand name (bias)
  • More fun to drive (bias)
  • Better Handling

The GT is a nice car...but it's loosing the value bro...wouldnt use the word depreciation...but...the RS however will be a better "long-term" keeper.....

Well thats just my two cents on this....

[*]Better Handling

Really? wow dat news is great, and i recall j**** who sold dat vzr sedan prefered the RS over da vzr(of course he had been to zackie wit his RS, and god knows wot he can do wit a 1.7L engine) :angry-smiley-024:

Rajiya,

Please reply....this can be your 1st post i guess bro

machan maintenance wise also RS must be way ahead, i heard dat Gt engines have to be built up again after running for approximately 100,000kms... /GUANT(forum memebr) mentiond this...

Really? wow dat news is great, and i recall j**** who sold dat vzr sedan prefered the RS over da vzr(of course he had been to zackie wit his RS, and god knows wot he can do wit a 1.7L engine) :angry-smiley-024:

Yes machang... Mr. J is my best friend...and he drove my RS...he agrees the Honda is better cos its much more nippy and better on pickup......and he drives an EK3 Vi (a puller in it's own right) and even agrees its streaks ahead on handling than e Nissan he had....but power wise yep the VVL is more on BHP than the D17...

2 cams, 1600 cc's, 4 throts, 20 valves, 4 branch headers, port and polished, variable valves and what the damn thing lost to a punee D15B 1500 3 stager...

And that GT may have the fastest one in the country.. Lost to the fastest 1500 SOHC.

Yes machang... Mr. J is my best friend...and he drove my RS...he agrees the Honda is better cos its much more nippy and better on pickup......and he drives an EK3 Vi (a puller in it's own right) and even agrees its streaks ahead on handling than e Nissan he had....but power wise yep the VVL is more on BHP than the D17...

and i guess lil bit of tuning on that 1.7L engine can make a GT helpless...

---

hey dat RS in AL classifieds is A/T right? how much would a M/T RS cost?

---

Sadly I dont think all the tunning in the world could make the 7th Gen- D17 SOHCer take down a GT.. The D17's a crap engine for mods.. 'n tunning..

Ashan I like your comments...Bu this guys is so much in love with the Carina GT.. He is a guy who had a Marino, he also got a Lancer as well..I am sure he will be having second thoughts with all your nice comments coming in....

What's the model year of the GT? From performance wise the GT is definitely a notch above the RS. But you have to consider the market price also... so give the detail and we might be able to say wether it's a worthy deal or not....

GT is a 1999 AT210( auto) with the new face it has done all most 1OOk, but in good condition the my VI -RS has is a 2000(YOM) with a 3 stage D15B mulitimatic gear box....with full option with orginal navigation system

So what do you think ? is it worth it

:angry-smiley-024:

---

good question...how ever my friend's RS is up for grabs at 2.1mil...Hope thats worth nowadays

GT is a 1999 AT210( auto) with the new face it has done all most 1OOk, but in good condition the my RS has is a 2000 with a 3 stage D15B mulitimatic gear box....in mint condition :P

:angry-smiley-024:

WELCOME BRO!!!! Ok, you take it from here....Just answear the question the Autolanka members shoot in and you realy will have a clear mind by the ned of the day....I was quiet helpless as i didnt know how to answear details on the 2 machines which are on focus in this thread...

Taking the last couple of comments/posts into consideration..........trust me...a properly doneup D17 ES3 RS will take down a GT on a good day no matter how crappy the ES3 RS is percived to be...of course the GT is the faster out of the two.

As for the RS vs. GT in terms of sale the RS is a bargain and would be a wiser investmetnt.

An unregistered M/T RS (ES3 - D17) will cost u over 3mil...but its kindda rare commodity....an AT will be around 2.8mil upwards......second-hand prices of course will vary depending mainly on condition & mileage.

good question...how ever my friend's RS is up for grabs at 2.1mil...Hope thats worth nowadays

WELCOME BRO!!!! Ok, you take it from here....Just answear the question the Autolanka members shoot in and you realy will have a clear mind by the ned of the day....I was quiet helpless as i didnt know how to answear details on the 2 machines which are on focus in this thread...

damn hola! u had asked da question wrong itz ViRS vs. GT not RS vs. GT

Taking the last couple of comments/posts into consideration..........trust me...a properly doneup D17 ES3 RS will take down a GT on a good day no matter how crappy the ES3 RS is percived to be...of course the GT is the faster out of the two.

Machan I totally disagree :angry-smiley-024: Bring it on baby..he he just kidding. that damn d17does not even have a 'proper performace' vtec..

Machan I totally disagree :P Bring it on baby..he he just kidding. that damn d17does not even have a 'proper performace' vtec..

Bro I'm telling u through personal experience...it CAN be done...ha ha ha.....everyones entitled to their beliefs! :angry-smiley-024:

2 cams, 1600 cc's, 4 throts, 20 valves, 4 branch headers, port and polished, variable valves and what the damn thing lost to a punee D15B 1500 3 stager...

And that GT may have the fastest one in the country.. Lost to the fastest 1500 SOHC.

Pila, it was later discovered that the VVT on that particular GT isn't working.....

Coz a 1.5 SOHC taking down a 1.6 DOHC just doesn't seem right... and the 4AGE being a well proven engine from Toyota...

Yeah maybe with auto boxes :angry-smiley-024: What do you say?

No dude it aint a personal preference lol all facts I assure you :P

No machang, I'm talkin MT to MT......anyways, as I say...its only on a good day that a correctly/tactically modified RS will outrun a GT....but your absolutely correct...on a stock to stock basis.... the Carina GT will tharsh the Civic RS!

Pila, it was later discovered that the VVT on that particular GT isn't working.....

Coz a 1.5 SOHC taking down a 1.6 DOHC just doesn't seem right... and the 4AGE being a well proven engine from Toyota...

True it's not right at all.. it was a surprising result to say the least.. but it was an issued challenge and hey you come as you are right :D Actually that engine is one of the best the fellows of Toyota never struck the balance by dropping in a hatch. (if i'm not mistaken) It would have been a rocket! The best they did was the Levin and the rest were all too heavy... Maybe the Carina can make a comeback against the SOHCers a drag like that is a good kick start to the whole scene..

No machang, I'm talkin MT to MT......anyways, as I say...its only on a good day that a correctly/tactically modified RS will outrun a GT....but your absolutely correct...on a stock to stock basis.... the Carina GT will tharsh the Civic RS!

Cool

Really miss the unmatched cars dragging like the good old days.. RS's vs ViRS, Cynos's, Marinos, and the 1.3 brigade, lancers and what not..

my VI -RS has is a 2000(YOM) with a 3 stage D15B mulitimatic gear box....with full option with orginal navigation system

:)

guys we are OT tnx to Hola's wrong introduction to the topic i think the choice is between ViRS vs. CGT right... in that case i say CGT under following conditions

1) u r ok wit having to rebuild da engine as the said car seem to have come over 100k or so

2) frequent maintenance

3) bad fuel econo compared to ViRS( am not sure perhaps Pila can verify)

4) possibly turning radius issues

---

if i am to have only one car for all uses i'd by ViRS due to practicality, as the second car definitely CGT anyday... as it can r*pe a ViRS alive, anyday ;)

True it's not right at all.. it was a surprising result to say the least.. but it was an issued challenge and hey you come as you are right :D Actually that engine is one of the best the fellows of Toyota never struck the balance by dropping in a hatch. (if i'm not mistaken) It would have been a rocket! The best they did was the Levin and the rest were all too heavy... Maybe the Carina can make a comeback against the SOHCers a drag like that is a good kick start to the whole scene..

Cool

Really miss the unmatched cars dragging like the good old days.. RS's vs ViRS, Cynos's, Marinos, and the 1.3 brigade, lancers and what not..

i recall dat there was claims that ViRS can beat RS at least in a short distance as RS tranny is said to b inferior to that of a ViRS tranny in terms of performance... but where da hell does the 200cc torque go ???

guys we are OT tnx to Hola's wrong introduction to the topic i think the choice is between ViRS vs. CGT right... in that case i say CGT under following conditions

1) u r ok wit having to rebuild da engine as the said car seem to have come over 100k or so

2) frequent maintenance

3) bad fuel econo compared to ViRS( am not sure perhaps Pila can verify)

4) possibly turning radius issues

---

if i am to have only one car for all uses i'd by ViRS due to practicality, as the second car definitely CGT anyday... as it can r*pe a ViRS alive, anyday :)

Actually the GT Carina is lovely day to day car.. so comfy over the bumps compared to the ViRS..

Maintenance on the car is not that much of a big deal really.. if its been taken care of well in its early km's

The cars got a lot more space/back seat space that the Honda much better family car and for making a 'family' as well..

Fuel is bad compared to the Civic- which will give you at least 9(with out too many mods) anyday in Colombo- CGT is about 7. There are no issues on the turning radius- it's much beter that the ViRS..

i recall dat there was claims that ViRS can beat RS at least in a short distance as RS tranny is said to b inferior to that of a ViRS tranny in terms of performance... but where da hell does the 200cc torque go ???

The ViRS has about 102lbs compared to RS which has about 115. 200cc goes to catching up the power loss of a Lev-i-vtec-e engine.

The RS is quicker on low end with shorter FinalD the D15 take it given more road :D

Actually the GT Carina is lovely day to day car.. so comfy over the bumps compared to the ViRS..

Maintenance on the car is not that much of a big deal really.. if its been taken care of well in its early km's

The cars got a lot more space/back seat space that the Honda much better family car and for making a 'family' as well..

Fuel is bad compared to the Civic- which will give you at least 9(with out too many mods) anyday in Colombo- CGT is about 7. There are no issues on the turning radius- it's much beter that the ViRS..

damn really, dat means CGT is better choice big time? 1 alst question how abt dat engine rebuild thing... z it kinda expensive, i remember guant said it isnt dat expensive, summin lik 60-80ks