• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Cost Of Mercs In Sl

jterminator

BMW 325i vs Mercedes C-230  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you rather own?

• BMW 325i
    • Mercedes C-230 Sports Sedan

Hey all,

Been out of Sri Lanka for a few years now. Heard that the government really jacked up the import duties for motor vehicles some time back :) . I was wondering whether somebody could tell me what D*MO is qouting for a base C, E and S class Merc now. They always hiked / added a considerable premium to their prices, so I wont really be surprised if they are keeping a cool 2-3 million over their costs now on the E and the S. (Last time I was home, I remember they qouted around 5 million for a C class and around 9 million for an E - shame coz its only 3.5 million for a C in the US and 5.5 for a fully loaded E and 9 for the new S 550) :D:D

Also would anyone happen to know how much it would cost to bring down a 2002 Mustang GT into the country? It's a big-block 4.8L. Do they have any concessions for people who have been working abroad? I've been in the US for the past few years and wanted to know whether I'll be able to bring my baby home with me coz ive put in a lot of work into it.

Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks and peace out...

A mustang to Sri Lanka?? That'd be ridiculously hard on your wallet..and seriously not the smartest thing to do . For one thing maintaining that thing is going to be next to impossible (spare parts, mechanics and all..it is a ford after all :D )..plus gas isn't the cheapest thing in Sri Lanka either. If you love the car let her go! It's the right thing to do!

As for car prices..I don't even keep track anymore. It's like everytime I go home everythings atleast 1.5x what it was the year before! I wouldn't be surprised if a new C class would cost close to 10 million or more these days. But as for your poll...bimmer all the way man!

Cheers

Hey all,

Been out of Sri Lanka for a few years now. Heard that the government really jacked up the import duties for motor vehicles some time back :ninja: . I was wondering whether somebody could tell me what D*MO is qouting for a base C, E and S class Merc now. They always hiked / added a considerable premium to their prices, so I wont really be surprised if they are keeping a cool 2-3 million over their costs now on the E and the S. (Last time I was home, I remember they qouted around 5 million for a C class and around 9 million for an E - shame coz its only 3.5 million for a C in the US and 5.5 for a fully loaded E and 9 for the new S 550) :angry-smiley-024::alc:

Also would anyone happen to know how much it would cost to bring down a 2002 Mustang GT into the country? It's a big-block 4.8L. Do they have any concessions for people who have been working abroad? I've been in the US for the past few years and wanted to know whether I'll be able to bring my baby home with me coz ive put in a lot of work into it.

Thanks and peace out...

Thanks and peace out...

k dude i quote these prices from motormag...

Merc S350 Long Wheel base version,3.5L V6 (latest model) 37mn i.e. 370,000 USD

Older S350 S/W 28mn.

E200 Komp. 14.4mn

C180 11.7mn

B150(freaking 1.5L engine) 7.5mn for those who think Civic is expensive :grinning-smiley-043:

A150 6.9mn

BMW 320i 13.8mn

523i 16.6mn

730i 27mn

Chrysler 300C 9.4mn good value i must say ... especially when 2.4L camry is 8mn

k dude i quote these prices from motormag...

Merc S350 Long Wheel base version,3.5L V6 (latest model) 37mn i.e. 370,000 USD

Older S350 S/W 28mn.

E200 Komp. 14.4mn

C180 11.7mn

B150(freaking 1.5L engine) 7.5mn for those who think Civic is expensive :grinning-smiley-043:

A150 6.9mn

BMW 320i 13.8mn

523i 16.6mn

730i 27mn

Chrysler 300C 9.4mn good value i must say ... especially when 2.4L camry is 8mn

Hey thanks for the feedback guys.

Man this hurts in places i didn't even know existed lol. I still can't understand how D*MO can price the S350 @ 350k $ and get away with it. Coz if the BMW 730i is 270k that means D*MO is keeping a heavy premium over their actual costs. B@st@rds! Do people (other than Counselates/Diplomats) buy these? Well besides the handful of Godzilionaires in SL of course :D

And, as for my Mustang, as for the mechanical repairs, ive been doing most of it (with the aid of a good friend) - American Cars are so much simpler than most japanese and european ones; hence, it's kinda easy to keep it running once u have the correct parts. The downside to that - not very efficient, i barely get 200 miles on 15 gallons of 93 octane.

Well again, thanks for the feedback guys. TC

A mustang to Sri Lanka?? That'd be ridiculously hard on your wallet..and seriously not the smartest thing to do . For one thing maintaining that thing is going to be next to impossible (spare parts, mechanics and all..it is a ford after all :grinning-smiley-043: )..plus gas isn't the cheapest thing in Sri Lanka either.

Cheers

Add to that the relative difficulty of driving a LHD car on Sri Lankan roads. Overtaking, etc would be difficult, if not plain dangerous. But there is an old 70s Mustang in SL I think, correct me if I'm wrong

Add to that the relative difficulty of driving a LHD car on Sri Lankan roads. Overtaking, etc would be difficult, if not plain dangerous. But there is an old 70s Mustang in SL I think, correct me if I'm wrong

ur are talking of This one?

Can't remember if it was LHD. I think it wasn't, tho... I remember it was an automatic :grinning-smiley-043:

Hey all,

Been out of Sri Lanka for a few years now. Heard that the government really jacked up the import duties for motor vehicles some time back :grinning-smiley-043: . I was wondering whether somebody could tell me what D*MO is qouting for a base C, E and S class Merc now. They always hiked / added a considerable premium to their prices, so I wont really be surprised if they are keeping a cool 2-3 million over their costs now on the E and the S. (Last time I was home, I remember they qouted around 5 million for a C class and around 9 million for an E - shame coz its only 3.5 million for a C in the US and 5.5 for a fully loaded E and 9 for the new S 550) :D;)

Thanks and peace out...

Dude you can't bring it in if it's LHD. Beware. Yeah they're simple enough pushrod engines. Really 1950s tech in a new package and that's part of the attraction I guess.

Dude you can't bring it in if it's LHD. Beware. Yeah they're simple enough pushrod engines. Really 1950s tech in a new package and that's part of the attraction I guess.

i must confess that i voted traditionally, beemer are world renowned for finding the correct balance between sports appeal and luxury So I voted for the 2.5L beemer against da 2.3L merc(2.3L - judging by the name) ... did everyone else voted based on exact knowledge they have about the two cars? how about the specs and reviews about the merc?

Man this hurts in places i didn't even know existed lol. I still can't understand how D*MO can price the S350 @ 350k $ and get away with it. Coz if the BMW 730i is 270k that means D*MO is keeping a heavy premium over their actual costs.

me too puzzzled over the price 350K thing, in order to avoid any confusion i must say that the price was announced in a dedicated article which carried information of a test run and a technical review, and it's the latest version it seems(thus the premium) ... in the same magazine in the back page there are quoted prices from agents and it qutoted a mere 270k for S class, So I assume that the article price is for the new version and the listed price is for the outgoing version...

BTW the price is not mainly coz of premium, much of it caused by nearly 300% tax, so invariably when the price goes up the # of sales units dip thus the requirement for a higher per unit premium ... in that sense D*MO aint all that unjust

ur are talking of This one?

Can't remember if it was LHD. I think it wasn't, tho... I remember it was an automatic :D

Yep that's the one. I saw it on the road once and I think it was LHD, can't remember correctly though, maybe it was converted. So, Jterminator, unless you plan to convert to RHD, doesn't seem to be possible to bring a Mustang down here anymore :mellow:

i must confess that i voted traditionally, beemer are world renowned for finding the correct balance between sports appeal and luxury So I voted for the 2.5L beemer against da 2.3L merc(2.3L - judging by the name) ... did everyone else voted based on exact knowledge they have about the two cars? how about the specs and reviews about the merc?

me too puzzzled over the price 350K thing, in order to avoid any confusion i must say that the price was announced in a dedicated article which carried information of a test run and a technical review, and it's the latest version it seems(thus the premium) ... in the same magazine in the back page there are quoted prices from agents and it qutoted a mere 270k for S class, So I assume that the article price is for the new version and the listed price is for the outgoing version...

BTW the price is not mainly coz of premium, much of it caused by nearly 300% tax, so invariably when the price goes up the # of sales units dip thus the requirement for a higher per unit premium ... in that sense D*MO aint all that unjust

300%? Ouch, i thought it was some 185% or something? What am I missing here? Did they increase it again?

BTW, I test drove both the 325i and the C230 in some winding desert roads here in AZ, the 325 was priced slightly higher (by like 1k) but was a bit quicker (0-60 in around 6.9 i believe. The 330i, though i didn't drive it is supposed to be somewhere in the low 6's, something like 6.1secs) where the C230 felt kinda sluggish. Also the 325 definitly responded like a sports sedan better than the C. Also in the C, i felt as if there was little room in the drivers seat to move around coz i was hitting my knees all over the sides which i was really p$ssed off about.

I put up the poll to see whether us Sri Lankans were more partial to the Mercs :jumping-smiley-013: Coz I always saw more mercs than Beamers in SL.

Finally, the new C-class (2008 model) is coming, and from what I've been reading on the "interweb" :D, it's inheriting some looks from the new S (don't know how reliable the sources are though). So the new C might be more competition for the 3 series sometime in late 2007. As of now, even though I love mercs, I prefer the 3 over the C. Now the S vs the 7-series is a hole different topic, anybody wants to start a thread :P ???

back in the day when the C first came out... in 03 i believe. i test drove the C and the 3 series. the 3 was a better responsive car for sure and drove like a sport sedan but the C was just smoother. so i went with the C class.