• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can I Use SL Driving License in UK?

Janaka810

Hi All

I'm planning to move to UK on a long term work permit and want to check whether Sri Lanka driving license is valid there. If valid, is there any time period within which I need to apply for UK driving license? Or do I need to have an international driving license from the outset? appreciate your advice 

You can drive in the UK on the SL license for up to 12 months after arrival. Use that time to brush up on passing the UK driving test and theory as it is not a cakewalk unlike in Sri Lanka.

You can't use the license after 12 months and I would not push my luck on that (although I know people have in the past) as the police database and UK immigration database is now linked and they can immediately check whether you are past the 12 months. It is good to have an international license issued by the AA but not mandatory. Also if you are planning to buy a car on the SL license the insurance will be somewhat or much higher (it will anyway be high on a new UK license, although that quickly drops off if you are aged over 30). All the best.

2 hours ago, SeanD said:

You can drive in the UK on the SL license for up to 12 months after arrival. Use that time to brush up on passing the UK driving test and theory as it is not a cakewalk unlike in Sri Lanka.

You can't use the license after 12 months and I would not push my luck on that (although I know people have in the past) as the police database and UK immigration database is now linked and they can immediately check whether you are past the 12 months. It is good to have an international license issued by the AA but not mandatory. Also if you are planning to buy a car on the SL license the insurance will be somewhat or much higher (it will anyway be high on a new UK license, although that quickly drops off if you are aged over 30). All the best.

Yes you can drive for 12 months with the SL license. 

As for the insurance, my premium went up after getting the UK license as my SL license was held for 18 years where as my UK license was new and they could enter only one license details in their system! Therefore, technically I was a new driver after getting the UK license, hence the higher premium. 

• 3 years later...

Regarding your Sri Lanka driving license, you're good to go for up to 12 months once you become a UK resident. During this time, it's valid, and you can use it without any issues. So, no need to rush into getting an international driving license right away.
However, after that initial 12-month period, you'll want to consider applying for a UK driving license. It's essential to ensure you're driving legally and smoothly in the long run.
If you're dealing with any paperwork or need more information during your transition, this link (https://apostillelondon.com/uk-apostille/) could be quite handy. It's always a bit overwhelming when moving to a new country, but with the right information and resources, you'll settle in just fine.

Edited by Quarmart