• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw M6 Vs Pontiac Gto

jterminator

I just saw the best thing ever!!! American muscle vs european engineering. A young chick (kinda cute too lol) in a pontiac GTO vs some old grey haired dude in a BMW M6 coupe raced off from the traffic lights outside my workplace. I think it was purely random, the gto pulled up, and was revving its engine and the M6 pulled up next to it, and they just took off. My co-worker almost dropped his starbucks all over me as he jumped up (idiot). I think the M6 had the upper hand but difficult to tell from our angle, they were both out of our sight pretty fast as the road curves - damn it!

Both cars are awesome, I've driven my friends GTO and i know it goes, but maaan that M6 really flew too WOW! Classic American Muscle Vs European technology. I think the GTO had 400hp and the M6 might have 500+.

The GTO incase you're wondering

pontiacgto20041024x768rx2.th.jpg

the M6 - YUMMY!

m6tq3.th.jpg

wish i knew who won though ;).

I don't think they would've kept that up in the middle of the day though, this city is infested with trigger happy cops! i think anything over 20mph the speed limit can be charged as a criminal offense here.

btw its a 100k car vs a 30k car. so i guess it would suck if the M6 didnt come on top lol

Edited by jterminator

GTO :D Booo. Bet the Beemer smoked it.

hey u shouldn't diss the GTO B). It's the most amount of raw power you can get for the money i think ;).

Only thing is it doesnt look that nice :D

Right now coz they went out of production, the old 06 stock can be bought for under 30k here. it's a lot of fun to realy floor one of these (especially after u take off the electronic stability control) - gives u a raw rush of power. I think if you put a good supercharger onto the gto you'll be getting way over 550-600 horses.

uhm..the GTO may be "raw power" as you put it, but it's far from "classic american"..its just a holden monaro with a pontiac badge stuck on it...(it's also sold in the UK as the vauxhaul monaro..its being discontinued i hear, but the VXR is pretty decent, 5th gear recently did a bit on the newest and last version of it).

i'm not a fan of these american car manufacturers trying to revive their old name by finding some random car and sticking a legendary name on it and hoping that nobody would notice..so i don't have much respect for the current GTO! it definitely is powerful, but i don't know how good it is around the corners, given that its a very heavy car, and american manufacturers are not really well known for their attention to suspension tuning!

i'm guessing the M6 wouldn't have much trouble beating a stock GTO...especially if its on the 500hp mode!

hey u shouldn't diss the GTO :D. It's the most amount of raw power you can get for the money i think ;).

Only thing is it doesnt look that nice :D

Right now coz they went out of production, the old 06 stock can be bought for under 30k here. it's a lot of fun to realy floor one of these (especially after u take off the electronic stability control) - gives u a raw rush of power. I think if you put a good supercharger onto the gto you'll be getting way over 550-600 horses.

Edited by ucscsades

uhm..the GTO may be "raw power" as you put it, but it's far from "classic american"..its just a holden monaro with a pontiac badge stuck on it...(it's also sold in the UK as the vauxhaul monaro..its being discontinued i hear, but the VXR is pretty decent, 5th gear recently did a bit on the newest and last version of it).

i'm not a fan of these american car manufacturers trying to revive their old name by finding some random car and sticking a legendary name on it and hoping that nobody would notice..so i don't have much respect for the current GTO! it definitely is powerful, but i don't know how good it is around the corners, given that its a very heavy car, and american manufacturers are not really well known for their attention to suspension tuning!

i'm guessing the M6 wouldn't have much trouble beating a stock GTO...especially if its on the 500hp mode!

Here here. Just sticking a big engine in a car and naming it after a legendary muscle car doesn't make it one.

The new GTO just doesn't cut it. Perhaps there's a market for it, perhaps its a great sleeper car, perhaps its great value for money (horse power wise). But compared to its butch, tyre smoking predecessor that set the performance standard for its time, its a definate let down.

All the marketing hype over a dual note exhaust, the big engine, value for money...yada yada yada is just dust in the wind when it doesn't deliver. Besides, don't know about you, but I'm not forking over $30,000 for a 2-door Pontiac Grand Am (minus the crazy body cladding) with a bigger engine that hasn't the suspension or the transmission to do anything but make a lot of noise (guess that's where they spent all their research budget-the dual tone exhuast note!! ;) ).

I'd much rather spend that thirty grand on a used Bmw M3, or a Porsche Boxster. And if its good ole American-horsepower you want, a 2003 or 2004 Corvette can be had for that money too.

Edited by tuk tuk

Yeah i noticed its an americanized monaro ;). When they were introducing it as concept some years back there was a lot of promise. But then it came out looking like a grandam as some1 put it lol. But its still a fun car to drive man. I guess i'm a lil biased becoz this was my very first 400hp+ car that i drove (for a weekend for house sitting for a friend :P) - yummy.

As per American manufacturers reviving old cars, i guess you guys haven't seen the new Shelby GT500 or the Shelby GT??? They did a really good job with that car guys, too bad they were asking for 20k over msrp coz each dealer only received 2-3.

And the new Mustang GT's altogether are pretty decent cars for 25K. Then add around 10-15k ontop of that and you'll be able to get some pretty unique $hit from Saleen/Roush etc.

Edited by jterminator

Yeah i noticed its an americanized monaro ;). When they were introducing it as concept some years back there was a lot of promise. But then it came out looking like a grandam as some1 put it lol. But its still a fun car to drive man. I guess i'm a lil biased becoz this was my very first 400hp+ car that i drove (for a weekend for house sitting for a friend :P) - yummy.

As per American manufacturers reviving old cars, i guess you guys haven't seen the new Shelby GT500 or the Shelby GT??? They did a really good job with that car guys, too bad they were asking for 20k over msrp coz each dealer only received 2-3.

And the new Mustang GT's altogether are pretty decent cars for 25K. Then add around 10-15k ontop of that and you'll be able to get some pretty unique $hit from Saleen/Roush etc.

already seen the shelby 500 too..just replied about it on your other thread with a link to a video. again, raw power wise, pretty damn good..and yes, it looks amazing too i'd have to agree. buttt...i still don't think they've done enough to stiffen the ride, and make it a better handling car.

Yeah, thought as much.

We get the samething here under the Chev badging. Comes with the Vett motor.

I guess the americans had to get the Aussies to build a car that not just goes fast in straight lines :P

the m6 surely won and not beacuse the GTO was being driven by a girl! THe M cars are just amazing and I do not know how they do it. I recently bought a M3 and after 6000RPM the car just starts to fly. Its like super bike or somthing. Even though they have been laden with electronics its still an amazing car.