• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Townace 1997

MikeB

Question

My son just got a 1997 toyota townace 2.2 diesel automatic and I have just noticed it has to go very high in engine speed before it changes up and I am thinking the autotrans fluid is very low but I can’t find how to check the level.  Any help would be very much appreciated and for some reason someone has bypassed the heater pipe to the internal heater, any thoughts why that might be?

Edited by MikeB

1 answer to this question

On 12/27/2022 at 6:48 AM, MikeB said:

My son just got a 1997 toyota townace 2.2 diesel automatic and I have just noticed it has to go very high in engine speed before it changes up and I am thinking the autotrans fluid is very low but I can’t find how to check the level.  Any help would be very much appreciated and for some reason someone has bypassed the heater pipe to the internal heater, any thoughts why that might be?

Hi, I am sure this is a CR2x/3x variant, so lift the passenger seat to access the engine compartment (You will notice a side of the engine, look towards the transition tunnel from the passenger side and you should notice a "Red" handle looks like a T (may or may not have a side lock to press and pull)

- Another option is to crawl from the bottom of the gearbox and locate the pipe from the bottom if you really can't see the dipstick.

The heater pipe gets bypassed for a few reasons in SL.

- Heater core started leaking, since SL is a tropical country, no use for the heater

- The heater flap won't close so hot air mix with cold air from AC.

-  Some "Maka Bass" doesn't like the heater concept at all, so they made the owners mind to bypass the heater for no real reason.

Good luck!

Regards,

JC.

• Like 1