• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Novel Solution- Taken From Another Site In Sl

Velocity

Last night this above mentioned chairman came on the news. I hate to discriminate but he actually looks like a retard

acts retarded too.. this gotta be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.. does it not occur to him that developed countries have a very good transport infrastructure which not only helps the people but the economy.. having better roads would not only save the loss the government in undergoing via subsidizing petrol but also improve the quality of life of the people by indirect benefits such as reducing maintenance costs etc.. it could practically save lives as the mechanical health of the vehicle would improve thus there not being any mechanical reasons for accidents to occur.. what he has said is utter crap merely as a childish excuse for not doing a proper job..

btw duplication road from kollu to bamba has become horrible!

Zz

acts retarded too.. this gotta be the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.. does it not occur to him that developed countries have a very good transport infrastructure which not only helps the people but the economy.. having better roads would not only save the loss the government in undergoing via subsidizing petrol but also improve the quality of life of the people by indirect benefits such as reducing maintenance costs etc.. it could practically save lives as the mechanical health of the vehicle would improve thus there not being any mechanical reasons for accidents to occur.. what he has said is utter crap merely as a childish excuse for not doing a proper job..

btw duplication road from kollu to bamba has become horrible!

Zz

The people's attitude also count. I mean how many of us will use public transport even in a case you get fuel and a car for work?

1/.Its poluted

2/.not safe

3/.not on time.

If we can have our public transport systems upgraded so well we can ease off the trafic to other fuel import headache the goverment have

Improving the roads would only encourage speeding, creating more "death traps" which kill more people each year than the ethnic war.

Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. Improving roads kills people. ? Please dont tell me whom ever quoted that is in a position of power. There are three steps to improving the traffic.

Increase fines (of course this requires a larger percentage of honest cops than currently serve)

One way traffic helps alot. New York has been using this solution and it really helps.

Tolls. Ive never see toll roads in Sri Lanka. The money would help improve roads and would limit the number of cars and facilitate car pooling because the toll is waged on number of cars not number of passengers.

PS I wish it was as easy as 3 steps but those are my ideas

Improving the roads would only encourage speeding, creating more "death traps" which kill more people each year than the ethnic war.

Thats the funniest thing I have ever heard. Improving roads kills people. ? Please dont tell me whom ever quoted that is in a position of power. There are three steps to improving the traffic.

Increase fines (of course this requires a larger percentage of honest cops than currently serve)

One way traffic helps alot. New York has been using this solution and it really helps.

Tolls. Ive never see toll roads in Sri Lanka. The money would help improve roads and would limit the number of cars and facilitate car pooling because the toll is waged on number of cars not number of passengers.

PS I wish it was as easy as 3 steps but those are my ideas

Also the article stated that there are 150,000 cars in Western province. That is nothing compared to what cities like NY tokyo and London accommodate. For an example the city of NY has 18million people, almost the same as the country of Sri Lanka. Im sure if they can figure something out. We should be able too.

For an example the city of NY has 18million people, almost the same as the country of Sri Lanka. Im sure if they can figure something out. We should be able too.

You mean 8 mil right? other than that, I agree with your.

We DONT have to reinvent the wheel here, all we have to do is folow examples set by other countries and not make the same mistakes they made.

While its probably some poorly-educated, (probably a politically appointed) idiot who made this statement- it just shows what kind of people are now running our country.

This blithering fool doesn't realize that by leaving the roads to ruin, apart from the private sector, we're destroying the one other infrastructure dependent income: Tourism.

If we make it more costly for the tourist industry to survive, like all price increases, they will pass their costs to their consumers. When it becomes cheaper to go to Thailand or India than Sri Lanka...people will make that choice.

Its no secret that the entire SL economy is riding on the private sector...with all the dough our govt. is spending to maintain the politicos and their catchers (not to mention the systematic depletion of the treasury and VAT funds)...they need to find the money somewhere...so why not screw those of us who actually work for a living.

The good thing is that this fool isn't in parliament...then we'd really have something to worry about.

How Ironic "Maga Naguma".. :lol: This is what people wanted man... You have another election this will repeat. You simply cannot change this wonderful "Banana Republic" & its common man. I'll just be positive and think that authorities will use the money else where for a good cause, maybe to lease the 2nd "Himin" Airbus rather than stealing poor private sector's EPF ETF reserves!

Edited by evilmak

You mean 8 mil right? other than that, I agree with your.

We DONT have to reinvent the wheel here, all we have to do is folow examples set by other countries and not make the same mistakes they made.

NO I mean 18.8 million people! About 8million have a residence in NY but the popluation swells to 18million during weekdays and thus the infrastructure has to support 18 million people.

Also the article stated that there are 150,000 cars in Western province. That is nothing compared to what cities like NY tokyo and London accommodate. For an example the city of NY has 18million people, almost the same as the country of Sri Lanka. Im sure if they can figure something out. We should be able too.

I think its not right to compare Colombo to above mention citys. all of these citys have very good public transport system. but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t do something to improve the traffic and poor road conditions.

IMO its wrong to introduce congestion chargers or toll roads, as people who drive daily simple have no alternative i.e. good public transport service

I think its not right to compare Colombo to above mention citys. all of these citys have very good public transport system. but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t do something to improve the traffic and poor road conditions.

IMO its wrong to introduce congestion chargers or toll roads, as people who drive daily simple have no alternative i.e. good public transport service

I do not know if the semi luxury bus service is still running but that provided a good alternative to using a car those days on certain routes. I remember I used to catch the 112 from Nugegoda in the morning and get to kollupitiya in about 20 minutes which I thought was quite good (and wonderful considering the normal 112 is amongst the slowest routes in the nation, people who have used it will know).

But it was sad to see those buses deteriorating due to bad maintenance and people using a viable alternative for using a car, ok it was not the most brilliant option but better than most normal buses

Further to some of the points raised in this thread, the following article was in todays (15th May) Daily News and the author raises quite a few valied points as most/all of you in this thread have done as well.

http://www.dailynews.lk/2007/05/15/fea01.asp

Unfortunately however, the people that are being appointed to positions that can do something about this mess are corrupt, stupid and just lack basic common sense in order to do anything. This seems to be the legacy of Sri Lankan Politics.

As a Responsible Citizen in This Country I wish to protest in front of RDA, if i get support from AUTOLANKA and any other members.....

Only Thing we need is Some Boards Saying Resignation of Chariman Of RDA for his baseless statments......

Why do we need a Chairman If he cannot make Roads and be responsible, We had rather have a Chimpanze as the Chairman of RDA.

We Sri Lankans always keep shut when things like this Happens. This is our FAULT. If you guys are in for this I am In

BUT WE NEED AT LEAST 30 - 50 MOTORIST SUPPORTING THIS CAUSE.

IF NOT ITS WORTHLESS......

:D

2nd OPTION......Being more Decent !!!!

Do a Direct Letter to the President.... with CC to asking for RDA CHAIRMANS resignation as his views and Mahinda Chintanaya ( Maga Naguma ) views are totally Opposite !!!!

Chairman RDA

Sethsiripaya BTM

PHONE : 2862767

FAX : 2864801

:P

FOUND THIS TODAY ON LBO.

NOW HE IS SAYING SOMETHING TOTALLY OPPOSITE :(

Connections 1 Comment/s

15 May 2007 06:09:53

Sri Lanka mulls new road to connect capital

May 15, 2007 (LBO) – Sri Lanka's Road Development Authority (RDA) is considering building an elevated or underground road to connect the fast growing Malabe suburb with Colombo city.

Road Development Authority (RDA) chairman M.B.S. Fernando also said they are in talks with foreign firms to build two new expressways.

The RDA has signed an agreement with a Malaysian construction firm to do a free feasibility study for a new road from the residential suburb of Malabe to near the old parliament building in Galle Face, Colombo.

"If the project is found to be feasible they will propose a package with a long-term loan at a reasonable interest rate," Fernando told LBO.

"We need a new road because of the congestion being experienced on the existing road (to the new parliament in Sri Jayawardenepura). It will either be underground or elevated on pillars."

The new road's trace would follow the existing six-lane highway to the new parliament roundabout and land may have to be acquired on either side of the road from there onwards to Malabe.

Fernando also said the RDA was in talks on two other highway projects – one connecting Colombo to the international airport in Katunayake and the other to the hill country capital Kandy.

The RDA has accepted financial and technical proposals from a Malaysian-French consortium for the Colombo-Katunayake highway.

The project could cost around 190 million dollars and the promoters are seeking to raise funds from foreign banks, Fernando said.

The RDA has also signed a memorandum of understanding with another Malaysian firm, MTD Construction Sdn Bhd, for a feasibility study for the Kandy highway.

MTD Construction, a firm listed on the second board of the Malaysian stock exchange, bought control of Kapila Heavy Equipment last month for 125 million rupees.

MTD Construction is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Malaysian conglomerate MTD Capital, a big construction group.

It has extensive experience in building highways and bridges, and their maintenance, and has won contracts in India, the Philippines, and Australia.

What if we get it to publish in newspapers in columns like “letters to the editor” and let the public have their say towards this? Read the viewers anger and comments on LBO....

http://www.lbo.lk/blogComment.php?newsID=2...8&bid=12047

so if we can make this go in to public newspapers, the public will definitely know what kind of heads that we have in our RDA, and if lucky will open eyes of the responsible authorities.

The RDA has accepted financial and technical proposals from a Malaysian-French consortium for the Colombo-Katunayake highway.

The project could cost around [size=4]190 million dollars [/size] and the promoters are seeking to raise funds from foreign banks, Fernando said.

No Wonder This Chairmans Eyes have opened Suddenly !!!!! 190 million dollars is lots of bucks.

Yeah Ash Read That, Some Nice Comments :)

No Wonder This Chairmans Eyes have opened Suddenly !!!!! 190 million dollars is lots of bucks.

Yeah Ash Read That, Some Nice Comments :)

I am just curious about Colombo–Katunayake freeway after air raids, coz Vinci was in talks with HSBC Capital for financing this project, hence it is due to start by end of June. Malambe one is really good, it will give us a new look. Regarding the MRT system, Indian firm had agreed to financed for it, one of the Indian infrastructure groups on it, their feasibility study also due to submit by end of June, Hope all run smoothly, Unless we have Political turmoil! :D

Edited by saraprobe

FOUND THIS TODAY ON LBO.

NOW HE IS SAYING SOMETHING TOTALLY OPPOSITE :(

Connections 1 Comment/s

15 May 2007 06:09:53

Sri Lanka mulls new road to connect capital

The new road's trace would follow the existing six-lane highway to the new parliament roundabout and land may have to be acquired on either side of the road from there onwards to Malabe.

Eh? :blink: What existing six lane highway??... Must be underground for the use of politicians, coz I aint seen it.

Hell, I'll be very happy with this road. A smooth drive to work with less traffic...

Well just because he has change his tune doesn't mean he should not be held accountable for his comments before as well as the condition of the roads in SL today,

I am completely with Dims on the need to make our views known, if I was anywhere close by I will be sure to come along and show my support, but since I am not maybe I can help another way ?

How about starting an online petition and then submitting it over,

I will admit this is mostly symbolic and unlikely to make any difference immediately but at least that moron will think twice about opening his mouth the next time and who knows in time things will change,

One must remember even in the 60's there was massive discrimination in the so called "land of the free home of the brave", it was nothing of that sort, and it took a long time of suffering and protest by people of African origin in America, and things needs to improve even further still amply demonstrated by Katrina, but I do not think anybody will disagree with me when I say things are much better now than it used to be !

Regards,

The Don

Well just because he has change his tune doesn't mean he should not be held accountable for his comments before as well as the condition of the roads in SL today,

I am completely with Dims on the need to make our views known, if I was anywhere close by I will be sure to come along and show my support, but since I am not maybe I can help another way ?

How about starting an online petition and then submitting it over,

I will admit this is mostly symbolic and unlikely to make any difference immediately but at least that moron will think twice about opening his mouth the next time and who knows in time things will change,

One must remember even in the 60's there was massive discrimination in the so called "land of the free home of the brave", it was nothing of that sort, and it took a long time of suffering and protest by people of African origin in America, and things needs to improve even further still amply demonstrated by Katrina, but I do not think anybody will disagree with me when I say things are much better now than it used to be !

Regards,

The Don

Excellent Idea Bro, Madz any way of doing a Online Petition ????

I am sure we all can get more people involved.

Bravo machan....

This is exactly what we should do..... it may not get an immediate response but every little bit helps...

MADZ What do you say?

http://www.ipetitions.com/start-petition/

there are other similar sites, but maybe MADZ can come up with something more integrated with Auto Lanka, or take the responsibility of customizing a petition with the auto lanka banners etc, just so that it carries a bit more weight coming from a well known online forum on motor vehicles etc,

The Don