• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What is the best vehicle in the market for less than 3.5 Million

Night Fury

Hello Everyone,

I'm in search of a vehicle priced under 3.5 million. The ideal vehicle should be:

• Easy to maintain
  • Fuel-efficient
  • Have low parts cost
  • Reliable
  • Suitable for a family
  • Preferably an automatic transmission

On a lighter note, in case the government lifts the vehicle ban (which might not happen in near future), I want to ensure there are no regrets with my choice.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

19 hours ago, Night Fury said:

Hello Everyone,

I'm in search of a vehicle priced under 3.5 million. The ideal vehicle should be:

• Easy to maintain
  • Fuel-efficient
  • Have low parts cost
  • Reliable
  • Suitable for a family
  • Preferably an automatic transmission

On a lighter note, in case the government lifts the vehicle ban (which might not happen in near future), I want to ensure there are no regrets with my choice.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated.

Thank you!

it's a bit difficult to tick all your boxes I'm afraid and mind you at this budget we're talking cars' that are at least 10 years old and routinely abused by our fellow sri lankans. Most of your criteria boils down to how the particular car has been maintained. 

A good choice would be a Perodua Viva Elite. You can get a 2012/13 with the 1.L engine and auto gears thrown in easily for your budget. While not Jap build quality, they've held up pretty well, are fun to drive, generally reliable and you won't have to sweat to source spare etc. basic car. Relatively headache free. 

22 hours ago, Night Fury said:

What about these cars?

• Hyundai EON
  • Celerio
  • Alto 800
  • Swift Beetle
  • Lancer CS
  • Civic ES

I got these lists from my friends and I have no knowledge in these...

First of all you'll have to decide your usage. The list contains some basic budget friendly city cars followed by the swift beetle and then two popular compact/midsize sedans. The first 3 cars and the other 3 are worlds apart. 

Hyundia EON - will tick your boxes on fuel economy and ease of maintenance. Not sure about reliability or parts cost. Wouldn't recommend as a family car. Feels very cheap. 

Celerio - Are you sure it's in your budget range? good specimens are above 3.5 M. Economical to run again feels very plasticky but better than the eon. The automatic version actually has an automated manual transmission. Several unit's have now started to show signs of trouble with the transmission - might be costly to fix. 

Alto 800 - If you're going for Indians this is the safest bet. Get's the job done with minimal fuss. 

Now even though the above indian cars are 'newer' than the below 3 cars' do not expect these to be trouble free. Yes they're usually cheap to fix but the very same models are popular taxis and rental cars and tend to be routinely abused mercilessly. 

Swift Beetle - Again I'm not sure if you can fit this in your budget. Even the Indian VXI variant (manual) goes for above 3.5. Decent car overall.. a bit thirsty for it's size but a generally good all-round car. 

Lancer CS - you will be able to fit a CS from around 2003/2004 within the budget. Very decent car. Not super fuel efficient (10KMPLish) but much much more car for your money. 

Civic ES - probably the most interesting car in your list and the oldest. Extensively discussed in the forum to know more about the the three popular models in SL. Comfy ride, cool to drive and to me one of the best looking common cars in the early 2000's Again you will not get insane fuel economy but a decent car. 

So as you see there is no single 'best' car - each has it's pro's and cons. 

What I suggest is - take some time off and go and see one of each car up for sale...take a test drive . Skip the Eon :D I don't think the celerio and swift is in your budget but if you can go and take a test drive in each. Think of your usage pattern and decide what car truly appeals to you. 

• 2 months later...