• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Another Corolla Failure

isurujosh

Corolla T-Sport

T-Sport is the hottest version of the Corolla. Like the Japanese Corolla Runx, it is powered by a 190 horsepower 1.8-litre engine first used by the top Celica. VVTL-i mechanism (especially the variable lift) accounts for the 106 hp / litre specific output. It also adopt the same close-ratio 6-speed manual gearbox as the Celica to make better use of the high-revving manner.

The suspension setup has been stiffened for T-Sport. This also lower ride height by 15mm. Nevertheless, Toyota chose a rather narrow and high-profile tyres 195/55 R16. This compare unfavourably with Honda Civic Type R’s 205/45 ZR17.

Road test impression confirmed our suspicion - Corolla T-Sport is not a real hot hatch.

Firstly, the VVTL-i engine is too peaky for a hot hatch. Below the variable-lift’s changeover point at 6,000rpm, it does not feel any stronger than the standard 136hp engine. Because of the lack of displacement, hence torque, you need to work hard at the gearbox to keep it running in the peaky power band. This is rather frustrating if you need power at once to overtake a Renault Clio RS or the Civic Type R. In the Corolla T-Sport, that is impossible. It is a simply a league slower. Celica GT-S has the same problem, but what we ask for a hot hatch is different: instant power for use in twisty roads.

As for handling, the T-Sport also let us down. The steering is heavy, but judging by hot hatch standard it lacks feel. Like the standard Corolla, it rolls a lot into corner. Perhaps the suspension setup and tyres need to be more sporty, at least the good ride quality has space for sacrifice.

Being priced at the same level as Civic Type R, no doubt which one you will choose. The T-Sport is a half-hearted effort. From engine, suspensions and even the dull dashboard you will see Toyota did not invest too much into it.

Despite their strong racing history and successes, Toyota has never really brought out an ultimate flag ship perfomer. Infact their performers in the various classes has been half harted than anything else.

IMO the only true performer Toyota ever produced was the Celica GTS of the 70's. Even the more recent Supra of the 90's was a rushed effort to keep up with the likes of the 300ZX and the GTO.

Quite dissapointing for Toyota fan like me.

On the other hand, Toyota's conservative approach has made them what they are today and if things continue, predictions are that Toyota will be the largest auto maker in the world by 2010. It is already the most profitable and cash rich automaker in the world.

Cheers

Duncan

TeamAutolanka

2010... No way must be earlier than that... even now Toyota and Gm are neck and neck... The big three keep running into bigger of a mess all the time. Yah Toyota's is the most profitable auto maker no doubt about it but I like the way Honda appeal to it's customer base taking risks putting the technology and industry into newer heights... Honda may not have freaking Turbos runnin in their cars but they make very sensible choices for enthuciasts... I guess Honda, Toyota, Nissan "the new big three" is where the future auto industry lies in... then again BMW, Mercs will always flourish in their terriotory too.

Yeah I agree. The US manufacturers will become like the British makes in time to come......non existant (unless they take drastic actions).

I also wouldn't discount the Koreans.

Cheers

Duncan

TeamAutolanka

• 3 weeks later...

Click here

Good work Toyota ...

Will Fans Of Brian France's NASCAR Welcome Toyota?

It was announced this week that a NASCAR edition of the Toyota Camry will start racing in 2007, in the association's top Cup and Busch Series. Reportedly, the Nippon automaker is fielding the first foreign make in the Cup since the 1950s, when the U.K.'s Jaguars ran several top races.

Will the Japanese firm's incursion cause a backlash? If logic prevails, it shouldn't: The Camry has been the best-selling car in the U.S. in seven of the last eight years--which means odds are pretty good that a few fans will be showing up in their own Camrys. Add the facts that Toyota employs more than 140,000 Americans, according to The Associated Press--and homegrown firms like Ford Motor (nyse: F - news - people ) and General Motors (nyse: GM - news - people ) plan to ax as many as 30,000 jobs each.