• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Laughf Gas Original Converter For The Efi Engines

DCL

Hi,

I heared that the New Laughf Gas converter is good with the EFI Engines, Mean no Side effects to the engine by using there conveter system. And this only fits with the EFI Engine. Is this true? Can some 1 confirm this? Heared the Price is around Rs.460000/=. Apprciate if some one can give me reliable info abt this!!

If some one converted there vehicle in to Gas will it be effected to the 2nd hand market value of that vehicle in negative manner?

DCL

Very unfortunately yes,but all those could be repaired and restored, at a cost less than the bucks saved on fuel! So no issue!

MINIACE

But I heared that the Laughf New Gas converter does not have any side effects to the engine? I guess that's news is false 1 then. <_<

But I heared that the Laughf New Gas converter does not have any side effects to the engine? I guess that's news is false 1 then. <_<

This is very controversial.

Issue is not the converter or the system,its the fuel source and the form mainly in related with harmful combustion chemistry and comparative risky temperatures engendered.We discussed these in a seperate topic recently.

MINIACE

This is very controversial.

Issue is not the converter or the system,its the fuel source and the form mainly in related with harmful combustion chemistry and comparative risky temperatures engendered.We discussed these in a seperate topic recently.

MINIACE

aren't there any satisfied LPG users ?

I don't think there are side effects to engine as LPG is a clean burning fuel with less residue/deposits - I can say theres a vast diffrence in engine oil which remains clear instead of getting dirty... and the vehicle seems to run smoother on LPG..

The new laugfs system is designed for modern EFI cars - so it is vastly superior to the traditional open loop system (new system works with cars ECU.. and uses actual injectors... or so I'm told)

Edited by Saturn

I don't think there are side effects to engine as LPG is a clean burning fuel with less residue/deposits - I can say theres a vast diffrence in engine oil which remains clear instead of getting dirty... and the vehicle seems to run smoother on LPG..

The new laugfs system is designed for modern EFI cars - so it is vastly superior to the traditional open loop system (new system works with cars ECU.. and uses actual injectors... or so I'm told)

Let me clarify few hard facts about running LPG.This doesnt mean that I oppose LPG conversions.

If your engine was built to use unleaded petrol then it will not suffer from exhaust valve seat reccesion. If it was designed for leaded petrol you should use a lead substitute (cheap and simple remedy) or have hardened exhaust valve seats fitted (just removing and re-fitting the head).

If you want your computerised ignition to work correctly with both petrol and LPG you will need to purchase a chip designed to modify the engine timing depending which fuel is currently being used (very expensive). The other option is to bypass the computer and fit a standard electronic distributor and set the ignition timing for LPG (and use petrol only in emergencies).

Fuel injection works very well with LPG, though you should run a little petrol through the injectors occasionally to keep them working. LPG produces less pollution than petrol and is much cheaper to run your car on.

There can be a slight performance loss when using LPG compared to petrol but this loss can be made up with a few little modifications to the car. There is approx 1 horsepower lost for every 10 degrees C increase in air temperature in the inlet manifold, so piping cool in to the air filter from outside the car (not under the hot bonnet) will improve performance. Also, using a 'sports' foam type air filter (as opposed to a paper type filter element) is a benefit as it makes it easier for the engine to 'breathe' (if it's kept clean, of course).

The spark plugs used in an LPG fuelled engine should be one heat range cooler than recomended for petrol use (2 ranges cooler might be needed for normally heavily loaded vehicles) and the plug gap should be slightly smaller to aid ionisation of the fuel. Most petrol driven cars use a 90 - 95 degree thermostat, for LPG use the thermostat should be 70 degrees. This helps to prevent 'ice ups' by warming up the engine quicker and it helps the engine run at a better operating temperature for LPG. LPG oil can also help.Finding this is the next problem you may ask!

Oils formulated for use with petrol engines are 'heavier' than LPG formulas to allow for thinning of the oil over time by petrol finding it's way past the rings. LPG does not thin the engine oil so by using a 'lighter' LPG oil offers less internal drag on the engine, increasing performance.

Hope this clarifies few doubts.

MINIACE

http://www2.abc.net.au/science/k2/stn/sept...opic135013.shtm

Hmm. Some guy in Australia seems to share your opinion - almost word for word :unsure:

Moving right along anyway... the point about timing is very good. LPG vehicles benefit from an advanced timing (as lpg slower to burn than gasoline) so for my vehicle I just set it to the timing for LPG as I dont drive so much with regular gas.

As for engine oil, that's a very interesting point..

Re: plugs I'm mostly OK with existing ones and they appear to be the correct temp (tan tips)...

Edited by Saturn

Let me clarify few hard facts about running LPG.This doesnt mean that I oppose LPG conversions.

If your engine was built to use unleaded petrol then it will not suffer from exhaust valve seat reccesion. If it was designed for leaded petrol you should use a lead substitute (cheap and simple remedy) or have hardened exhaust valve seats fitted (just removing and re-fitting the head).

If you want your computerised ignition to work correctly with both petrol and LPG you will need to purchase a chip designed to modify the engine timing depending which fuel is currently being used (very expensive). The other option is to bypass the computer and fit a standard electronic distributor and set the ignition timing for LPG (and use petrol only in emergencies).

Fuel injection works very well with LPG, though you should run a little petrol through the injectors occasionally to keep them working. LPG produces less pollution than petrol and is much cheaper to run your car on.

There can be a slight performance loss when using LPG compared to petrol but this loss can be made up with a few little modifications to the car. There is approx 1 horsepower lost for every 10 degrees C increase in air temperature in the inlet manifold, so piping cool in to the air filter from outside the car (not under the hot bonnet) will improve performance. Also, using a 'sports' foam type air filter (as opposed to a paper type filter element) is a benefit as it makes it easier for the engine to 'breathe' (if it's kept clean, of course).

The spark plugs used in an LPG fuelled engine should be one heat range cooler than recomended for petrol use (2 ranges cooler might be needed for normally heavily loaded vehicles) and the plug gap should be slightly smaller to aid ionisation of the fuel. Most petrol driven cars use a 90 - 95 degree thermostat, for LPG use the thermostat should be 70 degrees. This helps to prevent 'ice ups' by warming up the engine quicker and it helps the engine run at a better operating temperature for LPG. LPG oil can also help.Finding this is the next problem you may ask!

Oils formulated for use with petrol engines are 'heavier' than LPG formulas to allow for thinning of the oil over time by petrol finding it's way past the rings. LPG does not thin the engine oil so by using a 'lighter' LPG oil offers less internal drag on the engine, increasing performance.

Hope this clarifies few doubts.

MINIACE

I agree with you for all your comments. B'coz i have practically experienced all these things for past 4 years. i got to knew them by experience.

lets share if there anything related to LPG running when we meet.

LPG also seems to be very intresting ..... :blink:

Hey Miniace,

Since this system uses the EFI of the engine.. and as you say there is a bit of petrol too mixed into the combustion chamber along with LPG, do you mean that LPG is pushed into the fuel line or the gas is pushed into the fuel line? am confused... what is the nominal kms we could expect out of lets say 2000 bucks worth of LPG?

Zz

Hey Miniace,

Since this system uses the EFI of the engine.. and as you say there is a bit of petrol too mixed into the combustion chamber along with LPG, do you mean that LPG is pushed into the fuel line or the gas is pushed into the fuel line? am confused... what is the nominal kms we could expect out of lets say 2000 bucks worth of LPG?

Zz

I don't think LPG and gasoline are mixed?

As for mileage, I haven't noticed much difference between the two fuels though in theory there is a reduction with LPG - (not in my vehicle as the timing is optimised for LPG)

The hardest thing is tuning the classic system - even Laugfs havent a clue - Though the EFI system does not need to be tuned as far as I know its probably computer controlled...

Edited by Saturn

Hey Saturn,

Managed to drop in at the exhibition and speak to someone from laughs regarding this.. according to him, seperate injectors are used along with the EFI in order to allow the car to run on gas and you could switch between pure petrol, lpg or a combo of both! thats what he said anyways. once you start up the car nevertheless, you cant use LPG till the car reaches a certain operating temperature.. as for efficiency, it is equivalent to petrol but LPG comes at 50% cheaper than petrol. 125k aint something you could recover in a year though.. seems worthwhile investing if you could figure out the drawbacks involved..

He mentioned nothing about changing spark plugs etc. and even said it would work on 95 oct requiring engines too without any probs as there aint no octane level involved in LPG. I took some pics and I think I would have got this too (blurry! lol). I ll try posting once I find it.

zz