• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

To All You Diesel Vehicle Owners Out There.....

nira74

Some time back while I was in a heavily crowded church the whole place started to fill with Diesel fumes. When I looked outside, saw that a young guy in a fairly worn out looking diesel vehicle who had come to pick up someone had parked under the porch because it was raining, and was chatting on a mobile phone with the engine and A/C running. He seemed pretty oblivious to that fact that he was suffocating about 400 people until I went over to his car and told him so.

I had forgotten about the incident till I read the article below on BBC.....

Diesel pollution 'clogs arteries'

"Diesel fumes contain damaging particles

Diesel fumes appear to combine with artery-clogging fats to raise the risk of heart disease, research suggests.

Scientists found the two act in concert to switch on genes that cause potentially dangerous inflammation of the blood vessels.........................."

I'm not saying that petrol fumes are any less harmful (infact they are more damaging to the environment) but was

just wandering how many owners of Diesel vehicles out there (including luxury ones) are actually concious of the fact that their vehicles are generally noisier and the smoke they emit is rather unpleasant in situations like the ones above and also how many actually maintain their vehicle in such a way that the smoke is minimized......... :ninja:

@nira and everyone

apologies for posting this topic again. I didn't notice this post :(

No worries my friend,

I remember some time ago there used to be lots of fuel additives and such products advertised which were supposed to reduce the smoke of diesel engines. Nowadays they're not even heard of. Were these a failure ? Or have we just resigned ourselves to the fact that diesels smoke, and we can do nothing about it ?

guys

i've seen quite a few diesel double cabs and vans that smoke the whole town especially when they accelerate hard...

the funny thing is that this fools don't give a damn about what they do.

I've seen so many diesels that don't smoke as much and those vehicles tend to look better maintained.

There are loads of really old diesels that don't smoke as much so the "smokers" are guilty of not maintaining their vehicles up to spec cos in SL you can get away with it.

High time governments impose laws to take these punks out of the roads if they smoke excessively :violent-smiley-030:

The new common rail diesels do not smoke at all I think ! well not noticeably anyway so diesel technology has come a long way, and pound for pound its actually a bit cleaner than petrol in an environmental sense

Edited by The Don

I work a lot on diesel cars and common rail diesels are pretty common here in the uk. I dont see the common rails being any less smokier than traditional diesels, however the peugeot HDI engines which use an additional cleaning process on the exhaust have very low smoke levels. I tested a 3 year old Audi a4TDIPD today and it barely passed the smoke test required for the annual MOT test. Turbo diesels smoke more than the non turbo vesrions during hard accleration. The best way to save money and stop un wanted smoke-which incidentally is mostly un burnt diesel is to maintain the system properly with regular fuel and air filter changes as well as the occational use of a fuel treatment(additives).