• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Distributer Cup For 4g91

hiraash

Im urgently in need of a Distributor Cup for my car, Misubishi Mirage CB2, engine type 4G91. I have been looking for this everywhere. Can enyone tell me where I can find one of these. doesn't matter even if it's a used one, as long as it is in a working condition. Thanks in Advance! :blink:

|-| ! Я /\ /\ $ |-|

Ah I am so glad to finally meet another owner of a 4G91 Car !!. I am sorry but I am curious, is your car a carburettor model or an EFI Multi ?? My car is a Mirage CA3A Coupe' with EFI Multi.

I am surprised you haven't been able to find a distributor cap cos I didn't think it was different from the standard Lancers,

Your best bet if you are sure you cannot find a brand new one from Panchikawatte, is to go to what is known as the Watte along the canal in Panchikawatte, and I am quite sure you will find one there. If you are lucky you might find an old engine which you can buy it off from. Take a sample when you go,

If you can't be bothered hunting for it yourself in the Wilderness go to my Mech Wasantha down base line road, and he will source one for you, as he found me a whole engine about a year before !!! He might actually have one himself since he is still holding on to my old engine for me (which works fine by the way apart from some tappet noise !), which I decided to keep as a spare, though I am not sure of the distributor cap, still worth a visit if all else fails I guess.

The Don

Thanks very much for the response! Its great to here from another 4G91 owner too since I havent met any yet. Most of these engines are 4G15 with the lancers/mirages. I donno how my car got this. Anyways My one is a CB2 Saden 1.5 with a carb. As you had mensioned i tried panchikawaththa for the brand new and also the used one in th specific location you had mensioned. I tried about 4 different caps that guy along the canal gave me. He searched the whole watte. He had a 4G91 which unfortunately didnt have the Distributer but everything else. So im still here with my broken cap. Meantime my machanic is searching in Kandy for this.

I will also go to the Baseline Location and see if i can find it. Where exactly is Wasantha located at? i can go right away to check this since im quite desperate. My pluggs are getting spoilt by the day and my car runs like a turtle.

Also jus FYI, my engine also had the tapet problem and my mechanic fixed it for me (which was not possible by many other ones).

Once again thanks for the response!

|-| ! Я /\ /\ $ |-|

Hi,

My mech is located just after the rail way crossing on the base line road on the left hand side of the road if you are traveling from Borella towards the kelani bridge etc area, Please let me know if he has the distributor cap and it will fit yours, I have a feeling it might not since my car is EFI and yours is Carb, but worth a shot. Even if it fits, I strongly suggest you get a brand new one, and only use it as an interim replacement and give it back to me once you are done with it (just in case mine goes for a six too !)

You can order a new one from Singapore or wherever, did you try UM ? and yes even I know there is 1 carb engined 4G91 in that canal area, and I brought a compressor off that engine.

I am very curious as to how you fixed your tappet problem, very curious in fact. First when the problem developed, 2 people offered me 2 diagnosis, one said the oil pump was not working very well, the other said it was worn tappets, and I went with the worn tappet theory and got the tappets replaced with recon ones at some expense I must say since 16 tappets in all !!. It didn't last very long and within a few months developed the noise again, and this time my mech came to the conclusion, the tappet seats had to be rebored, and it might actually be less stressful to put a new engine in, especially since there was one which had just arrived in panchikawatte, in quite good condition, and seemingly not many miles on it, so I did that, and it did the trick, the car is much quieter, and much smoother now and does better on fuel, so I am happy.

At the same time I would really like to know how your mech fixed yours,

The 4G91 is actually considered a "Performance Engine" by Mitsubishi, but seemingly it lost out to the 4G15 which when our Mirages were being made was the standard Lancer/Mirage 1.5L engine, but now you get tuned up 4G15 with Turbo's put in Colts as performance engines, and the 4G91, the 4G93 (the 1.8L version) and the 4G93T (with a turbo) seems to be much less common.

I know certain people who have done 4G91 swaps to their Lancers, and I also know the 4G91 swap is a very popular swap in Malaysia to Proton Wira's and thus you get a lot of parts for this car in that country. So if all else fails somebody should be able to find whatever you need for a 4G91 from Malaysia.

I guess the problem of having a not so common engine, is the fact sometimes it can be a bit tricky to source some parts (but most Mitsubishi standard stuff fits). For example the compressor is on the right hand side vs the left hand side on Most Lancers and I had to look all over the place before I managed to find one !!. The fuel system I have found is the standard EFI Multi which you see in a lot of Mitsubishi engines so not much problem there, I wonder how you find maintaining the carb !

The Don

Edited by The Don

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Don!

Extremely sorry for the delayed response and Thanks verymuch for all the details. I have been tied up with work through out and cudnt get through to anything else during the past few days. So I went to the location you secified but cudnt find any mech in the neihbour.

Unfortunately suddenly my mech is MIA. According to his statements it seems he has the suiting cap with him but he never seems to show up. Also I have found the specific model in the following location.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/products...distributor_cap

see the second and third one (W0133-1634622, JH201).

funny thing is these models never talk about a 4G91. They are all 4G15 and 4G93. Also the first one on the list is available all over panchikawatta but doesnt suite my distributor. I want to first get hold of my Mech cos he has screwed my Carb too. Im got it tuned from Dammika at Borella (He's damn good with Carbs, got all the tools). but looks like i will need to get it check with Carburator Banda. I hate Carburators!!

Once i get these two issues sorted I wanna see how this runs. Can u also tell me where exactly your one is so I can see if that works?

Also regarding the tapet thingy, my mech is not disclosing the magic and he doesnt seem to wanna talk about it. If you need i can hook you up with him. but i dont personally trust the guy anymore.

Also like u said my car fits the proton headlights as well and the front signals.

HiRaAsH

Hello Don!

Extremely sorry for the delayed response and Thanks verymuch for all the details. I have been tied up with work through out and cudnt get through to anything else during the past few days. So I went to the location you secified but cudnt find any mech in the neihbour.

Unfortunately suddenly my mech is MIA. According to his statements it seems he has the suiting cap with him but he never seems to show up. Also I have found the specific model in the following location.

http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/products...distributor_cap

see the second and third one (W0133-1634622, JH201).

funny thing is these models never talk about a 4G91. They are all 4G15 and 4G93. Also the first one on the list is available all over panchikawatta but doesnt suite my distributor. I want to first get hold of my Mech cos he has screwed my Carb too. Im got it tuned from Dammika at Borella (He's damn good with Carbs, got all the tools). but looks like i will need to get it check with Carburator Banda. I hate Carburators!!

Once i get these two issues sorted I wanna see how this runs. Can u also tell me where exactly your one is so I can see if that works?

Also regarding the tapet thingy, my mech is not disclosing the magic and he doesnt seem to wanna talk about it. If you need i can hook you up with him. but i dont personally trust the guy anymore.

Also like u said my car fits the proton headlights as well and the front signals.

HiRaAsH

Hirash,

My mech is definitely in that location, if not somebody there should know where he is. I will try to contact my friend who introduced me to him. He tunes Upulwan Serasinghe's Familia so he is unlikely to be MIA,

The 4G91 wasn't put on anything that went out of Japan so very very unlikely to find parts from the US

Your best source is Malaysia, apparently the 4G91 swap is quite famous over there, so if you know anybody who travels there regularly or lives there thats the person to contact,

Well I hear the tappet noise happens mainly for 4 reasons

1. Oil sludge causing oil pressure to drop

2. Oil density wrong either too thick or too thin caused by using the wrong oil or the oil being too old

3. Oil pump being weak or faulty

4. Worn tappets

In my case, I used oil treatment to clear out oil sludge, I changed the oil, so the only 2 possible causes were the oil pump or wont tappets and my mech ruled it was worn tappets after transplanting tappets once which didn't last very long,

I chose the quickest least painful solution found an engine with seemingly low miles and swapped it. The tappets are quite expensive brand new, and there are 16 of them :)

Maybe a skilled mechanic could make a different distributor work in your car

if all else fails just go to U M (the agents) they won't have it in stock but at least they have the opportunity to import it, though I fear the cost would be quite steep :(

best of luck,

The Don

Edited by The Don

Don,

Acctually i was talking about My mech who was MIA. Also I couldnt find the guy you were talking about through out baseline road. I started from Demetagoda junction through to Kelani thissa junction.

Anyways I also checked with UM previously as the last option. they gave me half price of a distributor itself for the cap. so im thinking.

In-terms of the US parts, its possible that a 4G15 or 93 having my type of distributor right? Or that my previous user may have changed the distributor? Only differance i could see in the distributor cap is that the nob in the middle of the inside doesnt seem as long as my existing one. it doesnt stick out enough.

Im gonna wait for my mech to show up and decide on the next step.

Thanks many for all the support. Really appreciate it.

HiRaAsH

Don,

Acctually i was talking about My mech who was MIA. Also I couldnt find the guy you were talking about through out baseline road. I started from Demetagoda junction through to Kelani thissa junction.

Anyways I also checked with UM previously as the last option. they gave me half price of a distributor itself for the cap. so im thinking.

In-terms of the US parts, its possible that a 4G15 or 93 having my type of distributor right? Or that my previous user may have changed the distributor? Only differance i could see in the distributor cap is that the nob in the middle of the inside doesnt seem as long as my existing one. it doesnt stick out enough.

Im gonna wait for my mech to show up and decide on the next step.

Thanks many for all the support. Really appreciate it.

HiRaAsH

Hirash,

You started a junction too further away I think, Start at Borella junction and go towards Kelani tissa junction and just after the prison there is a rail crossing, and just after the rail crossing you will see a series of buildings and a garage, and thats the joint, (this is on the left hand side driving from borella towards the kelani tissa junction)

his name is Wasantha,

The 4G15 might fit but the 4G93 I think is slightly different, there is an easier way to find this out, the part number must be on the cap and if you type that in to google and check if you get any hits and might help you find out compatible other models. Remember Mitsubishi parts especially electronic components are also widely used in Protons and Hyundai's as well

surely panchikawatte has the distributor for the 4G15, and my other garage has 2 4G93 engines, but this engine has the Cyclone EFI system (both engines suffered broken timing belts apparently but I am sure distributors work)

So UM has the correct distributor for the car ? how much did they want for it ?

Regards,

The Don

Edited by The Don

I was looking for a Distributor cap the other day for my 93 Mirage CA2. UM quoted 4500 for the distributor cap and I didnt buy it cause I thought it was bit steep for that. Luckily some other mechanic checked the car later and deduced that problem was not with cap rather with distributor wires.

Don - Since you are pretty much familiarized with the 4G15 and Mirage cars, any particular place you recommend to check for spare parts? Sometimes I have a bitch of a time trying to find some spares like brake hoses from Delkanda area.I can see very small cracks in Distributor cap so I reckon I will have to replace that too sooner or later. Any particular shop in Panchikawatte?

I was looking for a Distributor cap the other day for my 93 Mirage CA2. UM quoted 4500 for the distributor cap and I didnt buy it cause I thought it was bit steep for that. Luckily some other mechanic checked the car later and deduced that problem was not with cap rather with distributor wires.

Don - Since you are pretty much familiarized with the 4G15 and Mirage cars, any particular place you recommend to check for spare parts? Sometimes I have a bitch of a time trying to find some spares like brake hoses from Delkanda area.I can see very small cracks in Distributor cap so I reckon I will have to replace that too sooner or later. Any particular shop in Panchikawatte?

Hi Warthog,

Sorry bro, My mech has taken over the responsibility of sourcing parts for me and I think he gets most of it down from Gothami Motors Borella. I pay him a bit extra for that but I recon my time is worth more than the money I pay him and he is very trustworthy. Also I have a 4G91 engine on my car not a 4G15, but parts for 4G15's are plentiful being the most common engine fitted to Lancers and Mirages.

I live in Nugegoda and most parts I have always been able to find from Kohuwala junction for servicing and emergency repairs (I have another mech, the reason why I started going to Wasantha is because my old mech is not very good with EFI cars). So parts are not that difficult to find. I notice there is a slight price difference in the parts but at the rates of petrol I think the price difference is acceptable. There is also a UM parts outlet in Nugegoda on Nawala road.

Maybe Hirash could get his hands on a distributor cap from UM, 4500/= for a brand new is better than trying to source a used one from anywhere ...

sorry I could not be much assistance Warthog,

The Don

Hi Warthog,

Sorry bro, My mech has taken over the responsibility of sourcing parts for me and I think he gets most of it down from Gothami Motors Borella. I pay him a bit extra for that but I recon my time is worth more than the money I pay him and he is very trustworthy. Also I have a 4G91 engine on my car not a 4G15, but parts for 4G15's are plentiful being the most common engine fitted to Lancers and Mirages.

I live in Nugegoda and most parts I have always been able to find from Kohuwala junction for servicing and emergency repairs (I have another mech, the reason why I started going to Wasantha is because my old mech is not very good with EFI cars). So parts are not that difficult to find. I notice there is a slight price difference in the parts but at the rates of petrol I think the price difference is acceptable. There is also a UM parts outlet in Nugegoda on Nawala road.

Maybe Hirash could get his hands on a distributor cap from UM, 4500/= for a brand new is better than trying to source a used one from anywhere ...

sorry I could not be much assistance Warthog,

The Don

No worries...Thanks for the info.. :)

• 8 months later...

Hey Don, I know its been like forever and really sorry about not writing back on the status. After some research I found out that the most of the 4G93 parts are supported by 4G91 as well. so the distributor cap fit in well. I bought it from autozone when i travelled to the US and thats when i found out about this. how ever that problem was solved. Thanks for your help!

Hey Don, I know its been like forever and really sorry about not writing back on the status. After some research I found out that the most of the 4G93 parts are supported by 4G91 as well. so the distributor cap fit in well. I bought it from autozone when i travelled to the US and thats when i found out about this. how ever that problem was solved. Thanks for your help!

Excellent news. I'll keep that in mind as well if I have the same problems !