• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What's The Most Valuable Car In Sl?

seeker

Guys,

Stingray's Q about the most expensive car prompted me to think, what's the most valuable car in SL.....

"Expensive" relates to the price tag & "Value" of a car will depend on so many factors percieved as worthy by users... (ex: A rolls for prestige, Maruti for fuel economy, etc...)

So, as Sri Lankans, what do you think is the most valuable car, and why? :rolleyes:

Expensive is relative. You can have a diamond encrusted maruti and it can fetch value beyond the Bulletproof Merc.

Valuable is more relevant- cars that are irreplaceable. I can think of 3 cars right off the bat:

1. 1917 Pipe (Belgium) - recently restored and was displayed at last year's classic car show (right @ the entrance to the closed building). Its the only car in the world as the factory had just opened before WW1, only to be bombed by the germans. The Pipe was equated as the european Rolls Royce. The owners are the 3rd generation of the same family- ie. One owner.

2. 1954 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, custom built for the Queen- brought to SL to commemorate the Queens ascent to the throne, and her official vehicle when visiting (then) Ceylon. Auctioned in the 60s and with the same family to date. Intact, but needs restoration.

3. 195x BMW 501 - Also one owner car, in original condition and running. I know the car, but never got around to having a look.

that would be a very hard question, because 'value' is a subjective thing. For someone fuel efficiency would be more 'valuable' to a corolla owner than a range rover owner. and luxury would be more 'valuable' to the RR owner than the corolla owner. Then there's other variables such as performance, looks, re-sale value, spare-part availability etc etc....

My case, my ideal (fantasy) garage will have 5 vehicles ranging from a Yamaha R1 to a Defender to a Evo9, to a 7series, and down to a corolla. Each for its own traits.

But it would be interesting what everyone considers as 'value'...

Expensive is relative. You can have a diamond encrusted maruti and it can fetch value beyond the Bulletproof Merc.

Valuable is more relevant- cars that are irreplaceable. I can think of 3 cars right off the bat:

1. 1917 Pipe (Belgium) - recently restored and was displayed at last year's classic car show (right @ the entrance to the closed building). Its the only car in the world as the factory had just opened before WW1, only to be bombed by the germans. The Pipe was equated as the european Rolls Royce. The owners are the 3rd generation of the same family- ie. One owner.

2. 1954 Rolls Royce Silver Wraith, custom built for the Queen- brought to SL to commemorate the Queens ascent to the throne, and her official vehicle when visiting (then) Ceylon. Auctioned in the 60s and with the same family to date. Intact, but needs restoration.

3. 195x BMW 501 - Also one owner car, in original condition and running. I know the car, but never got around to having a look.

Exactly... what'll be interesting here is to see any general trend in thinking of our vehicle lovers.... what majority would consider as a "valuable" car... is it the uniqueness, a specific make/brand, or your own car regardless of it's condition....

Oops... no mate.... maybe we can combine the two...and it can be inside your thread.... :)

no worries! i think my curiousity level has been somewhat satisfied with the answers i got, thanks guys!

As for the most valuable car in SL now?... with the present cost of living, oil price surges and seeing no increase in salaries(at least in my office) :angry: ..ANY car which takes you from point A to B in ONE piece with least running cost would be the most valuable!!! :P