• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Air Defence System Activated

tharindu6

you went and watched? when this incident took place I immediately sent the little fella to a room which has concrete slab .. coz

I remember the damages caused to civilians in the last AAF. Some ppl were hit while they were securely inside the houses.. 5.0 bullets penetrated through roofs ..

Why government not giving enough disaster recovery initiatives in this country.? ppl die on watching Tsunami's, Earth slips, friendly fires, bomb blasts.. being brave or being stupid ;)

well i was in Maradana with my one month old son in the car when the lights went out... quickly called friends to check cos i saw the search lights scanning the skies...

A buddy confirmed that they are tracking two blips on radar so i put the pedal down and sped home...

The shooting started when i was about a minute away from home...

once getting home i was a bit relieved cos like in your case...we also have a slab protecting downstairs..

little later i heard the sound of a prop plane while i was in the garage and then all hell broke loose... the heavy caliber gunfire was the strongest i've seen in my life...

no wonder both the planes never made it back...

i was outside like an idiot trying spot the plane cos i could hear the bloody thing but never saw it..

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

at first I didnt hear a thing cuz I was nicely sitting infornt of my pc.then my sis gave me d news so went out to hear the sound atlease...then I heard the gun fire and after about 2 mins heard the small plane going above my house...then I saw tracers going form all directions..since I knew what to expect me,ammi and thathi stayd under palce insde my house where there is a concreat top..I never go out when 5.0 goes off cuz I know "What Goes Up must come down"

at first I didnt hear a thing cuz I was nicely sitting infornt of my pc.then my sis gave me d news so went out to hear the sound atlease...then I heard the gun fire and after about 2 mins heard the small plane going above my house...then I saw tracers going form all directions..since I knew what to expect me,ammi and thathi stayd under palce insde my house where there is a concreat top..I never go out when 5.0 goes off cuz I know "What Goes Up must come down"

Technically, its .50. Though I know what you mean.

well i was in Maradana with my one month old son in the car when the lights went out... quickly called friends to check cos i saw the search lights scanning the skies...

Not advertising but I must say the Dialog News Alert is really useful for 35bugs a month. I was having my dinner at home and I got the first News Alert saying 'Air Defence System Activated due to possible threat' just couple of minutes after lights went off. Also was getting the updates later on.

All the mobile networks having news alert services now I think.

at first I didnt hear a thing cuz I was nicely sitting infornt of my pc.

Do you have an auto start power generator at home? :P

Just kidding machan, didn't the lights go off in your area?

Do you have an auto start power generator at home? :P

Just kidding machan, didn't the lights go off in your area?

he hehe.. :P No machang they have never cut power in my area when these LTTE buggers fly so we get uninterrupted updates via TV,Radio and internet B) ...may be we live in a area far far away from colombo.. :o

well mate.... the bombs are physically there... there's no need to "exaggerate" anything...

with my limited knowledge on the topic...those two bombs looks more like massive mortar shells...the fin arrangement can't be enough to stabilize that sorta massive bomb... Only ltte would know their true intentions..

true that zlins can't carry any of this but for sure they had plans for this or else why would they spend time, money and effort to produce something like this... especially when one takes approx 200kg's of high explosives that can be put for better use..

and for making statements... that's the usual political talk mate. every country does that in their own way. but as far as i heard...ltte have more planes and also possibly two helicopters...

forget fooling the public,,,, there are real military gains on the ground... true that they have some with a huge price but that's far better than dragging this war on for so many more years with a terror outfit that will not settle for anything less that their mythical eelam...

and btw.... except for tamilnadu...there's enough support for the war against ltte... the military support we get from india too is enough support for that don't you think... The only reason india is putting up a bit of pressure on sl right now is that it's election time in TN... all politics mate...

my personal opinion is that.....it's good that' were finishing off ltte for good since nobody is willing to give em what they want. And if anybody expected this to come without a heavy price... they are just fooling themselves...

with all the things said and done by this regime it is only fair to take what ever is given out to the public with a pinch of salt, don’t you think? your second statement proves this. remember how both the government and military spokesman bragged that the LTTE air power is totally destroyed after the two planes were shot down. i find this a gross misleading of the public, the very same people who brought this regime to power and the very same people who have to tighten their belly to fund this war. we have a right to know the truth.

yes we are making ground up north and we shouldn't stop it now but that doesn’t mean the government can use it as a 'get out of jail free card'. what is the point of getting rid of the LTTE in the expense of countries economy going bust or by catapulting the current regime to a dictatorship? Yes we are greatfull for what is achieved in up north but it won’t be too long till people start to give priority to their bada (stomach) before rata (country)

it's good that' were finishing off ltte for good since nobody is willing to give em what they want.

just want to touch base on this, do you think if the SLA capture the remaining territory held by the tigers that'll be the end of this and we all can live happily ever after? since we have discussed this mater in detail in another thread i'll rest my case

And if anybody expected this to come without a heavy price... they are just fooling themselves...

i agree with you on this 200% but all i'm saying is people have a right to know what is actually happening in the battle front. making things look hunky dory is an insult to people who gave their lives.

on a different bomb shell, i wonder what Obama fans got to say about this statement in relation to war on terror in Afgan and Iraq????? now that the man is getting ready to pull out the troops...

LTTE was developing and upgrading their "Air Force", probably they had plans to upgrade the zlins as it can carry a bomb weigh 2tons.

No machan Zlins cant even think of carrying 2 tons. Guess its misidentified by SLA as an aerial bomb or else its meant for another aircraft.

MINIACE

However at the same time troops have discovered some 'Missiles' and claimed LTTE had (have?) their own art of missile technology. They probably had plans to launch these as missiles? :unsure:

So far 3 LTTE missiles were discovered by SLA.One Uusimukkanthurai and two Thoppigala.All three are Russian made SA14s.But there are evidence that LTTE used SA16s agains SLAF helis.Whatever the case maybe LTTE never used SAMs since 2000.Possibly the life of batteries expired.

MINIACE

whatever the case maybe LTTE never used SAMs since 2000.Possibly the life of batteries expired.

i was wondering why they never use anything productive against our superior air power. is it hard to get hold of SAMs in the black market????

i was wondering why they never use anything productive against our superior air power. is it hard to get hold of SAMs in the black market????

Yeah ever since 9/11 SAMs vanished from black market along with SAM vendors. :rolleyes:

MINIACE

must be cos the last time they tried...FBI caught them and dumped them in jail innit?

just want to touch base on this, do you think if the SLA capture the remaining territory held by the tigers that'll be the end of this and we all can live happily ever after? since we have discussed this mater in detail in another thread i'll rest my case

maybe...maybe not...

since there isn't another solution to this... this is all we have to at least try out don't you think?

maybe...maybe not...

since there isn't another solution to this... this is all we have to at least try out don't you think?

since we have made so much progress we should definitely go ahead with the current offensive. my point is for an ever lasting solution we should come up with some sort of a political arrangement too. or otherwise in couple of decades we'll be back where we start from. that is an area this government has overlooked. they are all too happy to brag and celebrate he victories and turn them into political advantage but no one atleast talk about the next step.

since we have made so much progress we should definitely go ahead with the current offensive. my point is for an ever lasting solution we should come up with some sort of a political arrangement too. or otherwise in couple of decades we'll be back where we start from. that is an area this government has overlooked. they are all too happy to brag and celebrate he victories and turn them into political advantage but no one atleast talk about the next step.

there's no argument there mate... of course there has to be some sort of a political solution as well and as far as i know... There will be one to the huge disappointment of of hardline parties...

And being a Sri Lankan who hates party politics... the fact is mate... If you achieve the sorta victories we have in Eelam war IV after decades of bloody fighting, can you expect any government, any president, any military leader not to brag about it? Not to celebrate it?

Forget the big fat corrupt ones in the higher places, the foot soldiers who put their lives down for the country did that without selfish reasons...Those folks believed in something and do you think they didn't want us to celebrate what was won over their deaths and the pain caused to their families?

c'mon mate..

Talking only about victories and assuming all is fine is the wrong thing to do... But you can't blame them for bragging and celebrating...

And i aint no political guy...but my guess is that GOSL is waiting till ltte is fully taken out so that moderate tamil parties who doesn't have to be pupeteered by ltte can come out and work towards lasting peace. As long as folks think there's a chance for ltte to bounce back...it would be tough to instill confidence in tamil political parties to be free to act on their own... I'm sure you're also aware that tamil diaspora who are supportive of ltte are still on the opinion that ltte will bounce back. If we want those cursed useless diasspora also to not give us further trouble by funding ltte etc, we need to take out ltte for good...

that's just my opinion mate...and i can be extremely wrong

cheers