• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Starter Motor Sluggish After Servicing The Vehicle

Jayathu

Question

Hi everyone,

I had a full service and an engine wash from A*W about 10 days back.. From the very first time I started the car after the service, felt that the starter motor is a little bit sluggish.. :unsure: It kind of starts with a whimper and needs more effort to kick in.. Thought that may be the oil they use to wash the engine may have gotten into the motor and it would vaporize after a few days.. But now since it has been 10 days, I am beginning to get worried.. :( Could they have ruined the motor :angry: or or will it be back to normal after some more days...?

Appreciate your views and experience as this may have happened to at least some of you after a service.. Are there any "do it yourself" type of steps to rectify the issue without taking it for a professional inspection..? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

7 answers to this question

Hi everyone,

I had a full service and an engine wash from A*W about 10 days back.. From the very first time I started the car after the service, felt that the starter motor is a little bit sluggish.. :unsure: It kind of starts with a whimper and needs more effort to kick in.. Thought that may be the oil they use to wash the engine may have gotten into the motor and it would vaporize after a few days.. But now since it has been 10 days, I am beginning to get worried.. :( Could they have ruined the motor :angry: or or will it be back to normal after some more days...?

Appreciate your views and experience as this may have happened to at least some of you after a service.. Are there any "do it yourself" type of steps to rectify the issue without taking it for a professional inspection..? :rolleyes:

Thanks.

my guess is that 10 days of running in our conditions should be more than enough to get rid of any water/oil or other residue...

how's your battery health???

my guess is that 10 days of running in our conditions should be more than enough to get rid of any water/oil or other residue...

how's your battery health???

Battery is sealed type and a little over one year old... It has not not given me any issues so far..

And if the battery is weak, it should be affecting all other electronics as well, wouldn't it? Specially, the security system.. The battery was my first suspect as well, and I checked it by not driving the car for two-three days. But no difference to the effort put in by the motor in any way.. And then I checked by starting the car with fans+AC+CD player OFF and ON.. Then again, no difference.. So it makes the starter motor as the only culprit.. :angry-smiley-024:

Battery is sealed type and a little over one year old... It has not not given me any issues so far..

And if the battery is weak, it should be affecting all other electronics as well, wouldn't it? Specially, the security system.. The battery was my first suspect as well, and I checked it by not driving the car for two-three days. But no difference to the effort put in by the motor in any way.. And then I checked by starting the car with fans+AC+CD player OFF and ON.. Then again, no difference.. So it makes the starter motor as the only culprit.. :angry-smiley-024:

well, You cant judge the battery's condition based on how other electrical components are affected as the power consumption by all of them (with the exception of maybe the AC and head-lights) is insignificant.

And even if you try starting the car with all other electrical components it probably wont matter cos in almost all modern cars when the starter motor is working the entire battery is focussed on that.

My guess too would be a dying battery. Try getting that tested at a battery joint, and if possible try connecting another (good battery) and checking if the problem still exists.

If it persists after a week or so and there is no issue with the Battery or the Terminals - check for loose battery terminals, you may need to check the Starter Motor. I had the same issue some time back and it worsened after some time - turned out to be a worn out bush in the starter motor.

If it persists after a week or so and there is no issue with the Battery or the Terminals - check for loose battery terminals, you may need to check the Starter Motor. I had the same issue some time back and it worsened after some time - turned out to be a worn out bush in the starter motor.

Thanks nira.. so did you have to replace the whole motor? I have already checked the terminals, can't see any problem there. Since this occurred immediately after the service feel that it is the motor rather than the battery..

NEVER wash the engine at a service station unless you have taped off all sensitive parts is my Credo.

I wash the bay myself with elbow grease. :rolleyes: Or send for detailing........

Learnt ma lesson after replacing a brand new ECU for 65 K.................... :action-smiley-060:

NEVER wash the engine at a service station unless you have taped off all sensitive parts is my Credo.

I wash the bay myself with elbow grease. :rolleyes: Or send for detailing........

Learnt ma lesson after replacing a brand new ECU for 65 K.................... :action-smiley-060:

Hmmmmm.. I was there in person and watched the guy covering the major electronic parts with polythene before applying the oil shower.. So was feeling comfortable about the whole job.. Anyway, will wait till this Friday to see if there is any improvement and if not have to take it back to A*W. Should demand a free motor service... <_<