• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Six Sigma

sharkster

I wanted to ask this in the post-whoring thread but I know a lot of members don't read it...Hope you don't mind me opening a thread on this...

Does anyone here implement 6 sigma process control at their workplace? The company has just built up a committee using representatives from each division...I'm the rep for the engineering department (yeah yeah save the mud-slinging!)...I'm just looking to share cases you guys might be working on...They don't all have to be success stories but they would invariably be an interesting read...

I'm new to this so I don't really have anything to begin with...

(P.S. Thread-jackers will be prosecuted)

they tried to implement it at my old work place and funny thing was that I was on the committee as well.. guess they put all the jobless buggers in 6s committees

anyways, the key with 6s is constant monitoring coz after implementation, most people don't continue with it.

there used to be spot checks in my office and when ever they were doing mine, i had a drawer that was 6s compliant. actually never opened that drawer. the other drawers i would take the contents all out and just dump in elsewhere till the check was over. yes i cheated on 6s as well...

edit: check out MAS group, they have implemented it successfully

Whats 6 Sigma Process Control?!

In a nutshell it's a methodical way of improving processes in a company e.g. reducing wastage when you manufacture a product...

It applies to every department be it sales, production etc etc

I don't really work with 6 sigma but the company I work for implemented it a while ago, and its had a massive impact in the company performance. It basically improved the overall efficiency of the company.

If your company's a Engineering/ Manufacturing based one it'll have a very big impact.

Its the main reason why the Japanese car companies are doing so well compared to the Americans.

Thought this might help:

Six Sigma at many organizations simply means a measure of quality that strives for near perfection. Six Sigma is a disciplined, data-driven approach and methodology for eliminating defects (driving towards six standard deviations between the mean and the nearest specification limit) in any process -- from manufacturing to transactional and from product to service.

The statistical representation of Six Sigma describes quantitatively how a process is performing. To achieve Six Sigma, a process must not produce more than 3.4 defects per million opportunities. A Six Sigma defect is defined as anything outside of customer specifications. A Six Sigma opportunity is then the total quantity of chances for a defect. Process sigma can easily be calculated using a Six Sigma calculator.

More: http://www.isixsigma.com/sixsigma/six_sigma.asp