• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Lancer Engine Repair

CJG

Question

Hi,

I have a Mitshubishi lancer mx Saloon (96) auto car. There is a little "tik tik" kind of sound coming from the engine when i start car in the morning, but this noise fades away when the engine got heated.

Can you let me know what the issue?, one tech. guy told me problem with "autoflash" & engine is not smooth. If you can recommend a good mechanic to show vehicle.

Have a great day

Thanks

CJG

13 answers to this question

Hi all,

My Lancer mx saloon 96 auto car has a engine noise & when it on D there is a vibration comes from the engine. if you know a mechanic who is good for lancer pls. let me know I want to get this repaired this & also the tune up .Wattala/welisara area is preferred but area doesn't matter if he is reliable.

pls. help.

Thanks

CJG

Did the vibration gradually increase or did it suddenly pop up? could be the mounts.

thanks for the comment, vibration is there specilly when vehicle is in in a traffic with on D gear..do yoy knoe a good mechanic to show this..

Hi, if the tik tik noise comes in when you start the car in the morning and then goes away after a little bit, it could be the tappets. Mitsubishis are notorious for tappet noise especially once the engine wears out a little bit. If it goes away after a while there is nothing much to worry about. It is normal though do make sure you change oil regularly. These cars have hydraulic tappets which adjust via oil pressure so the viscosity of the oil has quite a bit of impact on this operation. If the noise starts lasting a little bit longer, an engine oil additive might be a temporary solution, as this is cheaper than replacing the tappets (you can replace them with used ones from a good engine from the watte in panchikawatte)or restoring the chambers. I've used a brand called Forte in the past to treat a friend's FTO and it worked quite well.

That is the tick tick noise. I've got no idea about the vibration.

thanks for the comment, vibration is there specilly when vehicle is in in a traffic with on D gear..do yoy knoe a good mechanic to show this..

Not sure of any mechanics that specialize in mitsu but there is a place near my house and they are decent in their work. This is in Kotte. Let me know if you need the location.

BTW does the vibration increase with load and speed?

Hi, if the tik tik noise comes in when you start the car in the morning and then goes away after a little bit, it could be the tappets. Mitsubishis are notorious for tappet noise especially once the engine wears out a little bit. If it goes away after a while there is nothing much to worry about. It is normal though do make sure you change oil regularly. These cars have hydraulic tappets which adjust via oil pressure so the viscosity of the oil has quite a bit of impact on this operation. If the noise starts lasting a little bit longer, an engine oil additive might be a temporary solution, as this is cheaper than replacing the tappets (you can replace them with used ones from a good engine from the watte in panchikawatte)or restoring the chambers. I've used a brand called Forte in the past to treat a friend's FTO and it worked quite well.

That is the tick tick noise. I've got no idea about the vibration.

Thanks for the detaild clarrification, i checked & now noise comes whenever i drive the car. I also presume this might be the problem..can you let me know the contacts of the place at panchikawatte if you have, btw what is Forte?..will try out what you suggested first. thanks

Not sure of any mechanics that specialize in mitsu but there is a place near my house and they are decent in their work. This is in Kotte. Let me know if you need the location.

BTW does the vibration increase with load and speed?

No relation between load & vibration it just comes,give me contact of place in Kotte , I will speak to them..

Thanks for the detaild clarrification, i checked & now noise comes whenever i drive the car. I also presume this might be the problem..can you let me know the contacts of the place at panchikawatte if you have, btw what is Forte?..will try out what you suggested first. thanks

Hi, Well I sadly have no contacts in panchikawatte. My car developed the same issue and my mechanic found the necessary replacement tappets from an engine in this area. This is of course in Sri Lanka and the 16 tappets I needed cost me nearly 16,000 in 2004.

The first thing you should try is to change the oil (you can use some engine flush before you change the oil to flush out any sludge build up). Sometimes mechanics will try an oil with higher viscosity. If that does not work you can try the treatment below or take the car to a mechanic and try a mechanic solution (as above).

This is the product I am talking about and there are a few others.

http://www.forte-nwe.com/SE/Forte+products/Engine/Top+End+Treatment.html

In the UK because labour is very expensive, we decided to try this treatment before we invested any more money in trying to resolve this problem in a friend's car (a Mitsubishi FTO). Luckily it worked, though we had to add this to oil every time we changed oil since then. But with time even this will cease to work (he has sold the car now).

Note though, engine oil/ fuel treatments may have an adverse effect on the engine long term, so please research the product before you use it ! I'm not endorsing any of the products mentioned above, just sharing with you my experience

Hi, Well I sadly have no contacts in panchikawatte. My car developed the same issue and my mechanic found the necessary replacement tappets from an engine in this area. This is of course in Sri Lanka and the 16 tappets I needed cost me nearly 16,000 in 2004.

The first thing you should try is to change the oil (you can use some engine flush before you change the oil to flush out any sludge build up). Sometimes mechanics will try an oil with higher viscosity. If that does not work you can try the treatment below or take the car to a mechanic and try a mechanic solution (as above).

This is the product I am talking about and there are a few others.

http://www.forte-nwe.com/SE/Forte+products/Engine/Top+End+Treatment.html

In the UK because labour is very expensive, we decided to try this treatment before we invested any more money in trying to resolve this problem in a friend's car (a Mitsubishi FTO). Luckily it worked, though we had to add this to oil every time we changed oil since then. But with time even this will cease to work (he has sold the car now).

Note though, engine oil/ fuel treatments may have an adverse effect on the engine long term, so please research the product before you use it ! I'm not endorsing any of the products mentioned above, just sharing with you my experience

highly appriciate for explanations, one mechanic told me to try same, will try out & let you know the out come thanks once again.