• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New Number System ?

KMG

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Are we going to have new number system (vehicle registration from RMB) which consist of three english letteres in coming few weeks.

any ideas or facts .. .. .

It's RMV mate...I went yesterday to RMV to register a car of my friend..he got a KN number..I didn't hear any news about that... :unsure:

if they give 'KN' for new registration k series will be end soon, then "L" already given for lorry, that may be the reason to start on new system. ho ho then we can see in ##### as old english no cars and new english no cars, with higher market price but identical apart from number .

If new number system available RMV may issue numbers for additional fee..

that may be the reason for some vehicle owneres reluctant to get register their vehicle, i have noticed few guys around kandy run their vehicles with engine no and chassi no for months, seems to be no problem from cops, how is the situation in colombo

If Sri Lanka Recycles plates (owner surrenders the plates to RMV when you sell the car, and the RMV can then eventually give that number to someone else when they register a car) like every other country, this should not happen and the whole thing about having a car with the latest and greatest number would not be there anymore. This would also mean that car prices will stabilize (more on condition and year than plates). Also, when they came up with this system, did they not think (or just run some numbers) to see how many plates they can issue with it?

that may be the reason for some vehicle owneres reluctant to get register their vehicle, i have noticed few guys around kandy run their vehicles with engine no and chassi no for months, seems to be no problem from cops, how is the situation in colombo

in colombo also if you are a powerful guy..I mean a political henchman or a very rich guy who can throw money if there is any problem..cops won't create any problems..my friend also drove his prius for more than two months without registering it..finally he decided to register it..anyway if you go to RMV you will get amazed to see how many people buying vehicles in Sri Lanka..buying a vehicle is made easy by leasing facilities..not like good old days...

in colombo also if you are a powerful guy..I mean a political henchman or a very rich guy who can throw money if there is any problem..cops won't create any problems..my friend also drove his prius for more than two months without registering it..finally he decided to register it..anyway if you go to RMV you will get amazed to see how many people buying vehicles in Sri Lanka..buying a vehicle is made easy by leasing facilities..not like good old days...

Ya well buying houses were also made easy by financing and mortgage company's in the States. We all know how that ended!! :violent-smiley-099:

If Sri Lanka Recycles plates (owner surrenders the plates to RMV when you sell the car, and the RMV can then eventually give that number to someone else when they register a car) like every other country, this should not happen and the whole thing about having a car with the latest and greatest number would not be there anymore. This would also mean that car prices will stabilize (more on condition and year than plates). Also, when they came up with this system, did they not think (or just run some numbers) to see how many plates they can issue with it?

That is a good idea but might have some difficulties implementing it here in SL, for an instance say someone has a 17-xxxx car. i doubt if any one else who buys a new car would want that fitted to his car. :huh:

If thats the case the whole numbering system will have to be remapped :)

What's the deal with all these cars running around on Paper plates? No brand in particular, mostly mass market stuff. Is there a hold up in the number plate production department? In other countries, there is a standard for paper plates that you attached before you get your permanent number plates, with a code from the local area etc included. And it is not a paper with your english numbers printed. Here it seems people are just printing them on their computer at home. What do you do if you have an accident or even a hit-and-run incident with one of these paper plate cars and it can't even be tracked cos the guy just pulled a number out of his ***?

At the rate the cars are selling (sometimes may be faster than bikes, there willbe a need for another english letter in the near future

the english language has only 26 letters no: :lol:

IMO at the rate of new Motor cycles and Three-wheelers being registered, they might be the first categories to get the three-letter English numbers.

anyway if you go to RMV you will get amazed to see how many people buying vehicles in Sri Lanka..buying a vehicle is made easy by leasing facilities..not like good old days...

In time to come getting from central Colombo to a bordering suburb will take 2 hours. But heck the priuses and insights do better in traffic right? They will throw figures like 30 KMPL on the dash and the owners will gladly clap, embrace each other and sit in traffic for hours admiring its fuel figures, while some blokes like me be cursing at the Jam.

Im wondering why the worry about this number system? Is the K- series done? There are 15 more letters in the alphabet! Not forgetting A to F, which our motor traffic dept missed starting by G. 15 more letters meaning almost 150,000 more cars! If the UN measured development of a country from the number of cars imported in a given fiscal year we are top of the game.

In time to come getting from central Colombo to a bordering suburb will take 2 hours. But heck the priuses and insights do better in traffic right? They will throw figures like 30 KMPL on the dash and the owners will gladly clap, embrace each other and sit in traffic for hours admiring its fuel figures, while some blokes like me be cursing at the Jam.

Im wondering why the worry about this number system? Is the K- series done? There are 15 more letters in the alphabet! Not forgetting A to F, which our motor traffic dept missed starting by G. 15 more letters meaning almost 150,000 more cars! If the UN measured development of a country from the number of cars imported in a given fiscal year we are top of the game.

few points to note devaka, RMV started from GA- not because they have missed it out but to keep provision for re-register all existing vehicles (from 1 sri 1) Now don't ask me would that 6 letters suffice to accommodate all it's one of their crooked or proven wrong decisions. After K series, the next letter is L and is given to Motor lorries, M is already given for motor bikes (?), N is given for passenger vehicles aka buses and mini buses, and P is given for dual purpose vehicles and list goes on. Therefore, literally speaking, there aren't 15 letters left and so called consultants and experts in DMV, Sri Lanka are out there "thinking" of a system to accommodate this "sudden" issue. Ok, it's not a sudden issue but an issue due to lack of planning and lack of creativity in coming up with a last longing solution.

Search this forum and you will see how many blunders they've made in this whole registration thing.

In time to come getting from central Colombo to a bordering suburb will take 2 hours. But heck the priuses and insights do better in traffic right?

If the UN measured development of a country from the number of cars imported in a given fiscal year we are top of the game.

Are you saying its a bad thing we have so many cars in our roads? Yes our road system may not be able to handle the load but look at the bright side of things. Peoples quality of life has increased by a certain degree. More cars on the road means more people can afford them. That's a good thing unless you are one of those people who would like only a niche group/segment of people to be car owners like in the 70s.