• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Bmw X1 Vs 318D

kaushama

X1 vs 318D  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the best buy?

• X1 sDrive 20D
    • 320D

Thanks! :D

Assuming you have an engineer's permit you can get The A4 gasoline version(with good options).But I'd go for the diesel as these are hard times(but I'm not confident of the number of options).I hear VW also offers the Passat,Jetta & Tiguan(If they offer the "Passat CC" for the permit, go for it if you wish cause it's a really good car but sadly hasn't caught on in SL).I dont think you can import 2010 or later mercs for the Engineer's permit through other agents.

Assuming you've got a Doc's permit you have a slightly wider selection.You can go for the 2011 Volvo S60.A very top notch car.Still not sure Mercs are offered for this permit though.If you like you may explore what Peugeot has to offer but I'm not sure about that brand yet.I seriously doubt the 2011 Jaguar XF is offered for the permit (3l V8 engine).If all else fails BMW 320D I guess ( I think at 5.8mil it's the cheapest European car offered for permit)

Hope this helped. :)

Yeah I have got a docs permit, spoke with Sen*k and they said that at the moment they only offer the patrol A4, but the diesel may be available in a couple of weeks.. the patrol has got all the options except for the sunroof, as for the diesels they say that its not going to to be fully loaded.. haven't spoken with VW, even though they are a very good brand don't like it so much, and wouldn't go for a Volvo or Peugeot either.

XF is in a completely different class ($50,000). so its between X1, 320d, and A4

I will have to use to for 3 yrs before selling it.. my cousin have the same surname as me, so its not a problem for me to use... he and his wife are both getting a permit each and they already ordered a Sorento, so will not be using the other one... but the prob with the 320d is that they have very basic options.. but their engines are so bloody good...

what are the options offered for the 320D?

Yeah I have got a docs permit, spoke with Sen*k and they said that at the moment they only offer the patrol A4, but the diesel may be available in a couple of weeks.. the patrol has got all the options except for the sunroof, as for the diesels they say that its not going to to be fully loaded.. haven't spoken with VW, even though they are a very good brand don't like it so much, and wouldn't go for a Volvo or Peugeot either.

XF is in a completely different class ($50,000). so its between X1, 320d, and A4

Good Luck then!! :)

Zspox.jpg

It's PETROL A4! The Patrol is big SUV made by Nissan.

Well i went and asked for an A4 and they asked whether i needed an avalon or cheaper one :lol:

Enough joking i actually saw an A4 1.8T brought for the permit 1000 time better than the looks of the 320d.

the only issue is it being petrol will it be hard to run. But the 1.8T is a very good engine, worth keeping u'r fingers crossed.

If the diesel is offered definitely go for the A4 1.9TDi than the 320d. Can't compair those 2 if the A4 is haven the 320d would be hell.

Edited by toyota sucks
  • Like 1

Just had a look at a blue 318i with similar options offered under the 320d for the permit. It is just a bare car. But the thing with bimmers, is that everything you want can be added except for the sun roof. So if you really like the car, you should go for it and then add all options you like. Ebay is a good starting point!

And in the event you do go for a 320d, don't use it like jap diesels where people just treat them like work horses with bare minimum maintanance. BMW diesels are much more advanced and need servicing and other generic maintanance to be done on time without cutting corners. If you do so, these engines are some of the most reliable, efficient and powerful diesel engines you could lay your hands on.

If the diesel is offered definitely go for the A4 1.9TDi than the 320d. Can't compair those 2 if the A4 is haven the 320d would be hell.

May i know the rationale for the above comment? Audi's are absolutely fantastic cars, but when it comes to diesels, its not match to a BMW diesel! BMW diesel engines are one of the most advanced engines offered in the market today.

May i know the rationale for the above comment? Audi's are absolutely fantastic cars, but when it comes to diesels, its not match to a BMW diesel! BMW diesel engines are one of the most advanced engines offered in the market today.

indeed and not only that the hadling just blows your mind off. only complaint i have about the 3 series is the lack of space. IMHO the fact that a similar priced bmw example is leanly equipped should not cross the mind of a real petrol head. with 0-100 kmph in about 7.5 seconds and about 15kmpl is traffic (and diesel at that) in the bmw i wouldn't personally opt for the the alloys and the posh interior of an FWD audi instead.

I was only saying what i thought when i looked at the 2 cars,

the beemer iis very basic and the a4 is almost fully loaded,

By the way could u look into that nice drls of the audi and say u like the beemer more.

• Like 1

The A4 definetly looks good. But the led lighting is not everyone favourite cup of tea.

Well you are entitled to your personal opinion, but IMHO the BMW's always have an edge over the audi's in terms of design. However, I agree the E90 interior is quite basic compared to the A4. As a fan of the brand i was guttered to see the basicness of the interior in the car offered under the permit (even in general the e90 non sat nav inteior is quite plain for a bmw). However, a few thousand here and there, you can add your own personalised glamour in to the car.

Just had a look at a blue 318i with similar options offered under the 320d for the permit. It is just a bare car. But the thing with bimmers, is that everything you want can be added except for the sun roof. So if you really like the car, you should go for it and then add all options you like. Ebay is a good starting point!

And in the event you do go for a 320d, don't use it like jap diesels where people just treat them like work horses with bare minimum maintanance. BMW diesels are much more advanced and need servicing and other generic maintanance to be done on time without cutting corners. If you do so, these engines are some of the most reliable, efficient and powerful diesel engines you could lay your hands on.

BMW probably got the best engines in the world, they are economical and powerful, and that combination has newer been beaten by any other manufacturer. Out of all the luxury vehicles I would say BMWs are the most reliable and most their vehicles comes with only the most valuable gizmos that actually work unlike the french who just comes out with these ridiculers options but fall apart after the 1st yr.

Audi A4 has definitely got the looks, space and better options but reliability is questionable in Sri Lanka, and they have bad resale value here.

The BMW 320d that were imported in late 90s and early 2000s had all the options that a top end luxury car should have, but the current model has notting more than what a maruti would offer. therefore if they do retain its value is a questionable!!! I have stayed over a week trying to figure out what to buy it a tough job...

The A4 definetly looks good. But the led lighting is not everyone favourite cup of tea.

Well you are entitled to your personal opinion, but IMHO the BMW's always have an edge over the audi's in terms of design. However, I agree the E90 interior is quite basic compared to the A4. As a fan of the brand i was guttered to see the basicness of the interior in the car offered under the permit (even in general the e90 non sat nav inteior is quite plain for a bmw). However, a few thousand here and there, you can add your own personalised glamour in to the car.

hey how do you do that, really was wondering all over the place, I thought personalizing is a difficult part after buying the car... how do you add the iDrive, memory seats, auto dimming exterior interior mirrors...? anything except for alloys and parking sensors..

With a DIS and spare cash you can add most options. I know of an e46 which was imported as a bare shell under the permit around the year 2000 and added most of the options. I don't think the idrive could be added on to the e90 (Not sure though).

That said, i was also told that the e90 is a car that is much difficult to personalise and add options than the e46.

Actually it is a rumor made up by companies to make us to make quick decisions,

As there are a lot of better vehicles to come in the future for the permiit (eg- santafe new 2012 model),

And I also got an info that the engine capacity limit could be increased to 2800cc again.

Still it could be a gamble.

• Like 2

Wow is that a new engine made just for you?? ROTFL

No it isn't just made for me :D.it's sold in the European & US market.(it's an I6 engine which makes just over 300bhp)U find only quite a few in the South Asian region.The M3 has a V8 which produces a bit over 400bhp.

Edited by YesinLegend

As there are a lot of better vehicles to come in the future for the permiit (eg- santafe new 2012 model),

And I also got an info that the engine capacity limit could be increased to 2800cc again.

Wow if this becomz reality I wud regret ordering the sorento.Instead would've gone for the 2012 Grandeur. :/ sigh

No it isn't just made for me :D.it's sold in the European & US market.U find only quite a few in the South Asian region.The M3 has a V8 which produces a bit over 400bhp.

Dude BMW makes no V6.

Deffinately wait for the A4 diesel to arrive...

audi diesels are still no match for bmw diesels. get into a diesel audi a3 turn-off the car audio and drive alsong at a relatively slow speed and listen to that horrible diesel engine sound.

audi diesels are still no match for bmw diesels. get into a diesel audi a3 turn-off the car audio and drive alsong at a relatively slow speed and listen to that horrible diesel engine sound.

Dude, you should really get some sleep... whats the matter? Insomnia? Nissan Fuel figures keeping you up?

true but if you had a permit in your hands would you risk not buying one? I can't trust this govt as they seem to change things over night and I deff don't want to be buying a Micro Kyron with my permit... I'm even scared to wait for another week till Audi A4 diesel becomes available...