• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Chassis Number.. Missing?

jedikasun

Question

Hi all,

A friend of mine recently sold a Hyundai Atos. The buyer has called back saying that the chassis number plate which is riveted on is there, but the number is not stamped on to to the body.

Just wanted to ask, is the the chassis number always stamped on to the body on every car?

If there are any Atos owner out there, could you please open up your hood and double check and let me know.

Thanks all,
Kasun

Yes its *always* engraved to the chassis on every car. If the VIN plate is missing, its not a problem but if the engraved chassis number is missing, it's a serious issue. If it is not there in location mentioned in the link above, chances are someone may have sold the registration book of the car along with the part where the chassis number is engraved.

It's highly unlikely for a car like Atos but not impossible.

Check the following locations anyway - Under the driver's seat, under the driver's footwell, under the front passenger seat and footwell, driver side or passenger side B-pillar. Also if there are any plastic covers on the bulkhead, remove them and check.

• Like 1

Hi all,

A friend of mine recently sold a Hyundai Atos. The buyer has called back saying that the chassis number plate which is riveted on is there, but the number is not stamped on to to the body.

Just wanted to ask, is the the chassis number always stamped on to the body on every car?

If there are any Atos owner out there, could you please open up your hood and double check and let me know.

Thanks all,

Kasun

I think the Atos was imported brand new by the agents, so they should be familiar with the model. Call and ask them.

I think the Atos was imported brand new by the agents, so they should be familiar with the model. Call and ask them.

Santro was imported B/N. Atos came from Singapore afaik. In any case the agent or De Silva motors should be able to trace the chassis number. De Silva will charge 500 bucks to do it though.

Edited by Crosswind

Santro was imported B/N. Atos came from Singapore afaik. In any case the agent or De Silva motors should be able to trace the chassis number. De Silva will charge 500 bucks to do it though.

I think the Atos and Santro are the same car, except Santro was made in India for the sub continent. So the location of the chassis number should be the same. The only time these go missing is when cars meet with accidents, or incur rust and moronic tinkers either cataloy over them, cut them out by accident or get bent out of shape...

I have heard harbour auctioned cars dont have that, im not sure how true this is

There are two types of harbour auctioned cars

1. Cars which are meant to be registered legally and driven - they have the chassis number and six extra characters (CMTXXX) engraved by customs. For example AK12-2345678 auctioned by harbour will have AK12-2345678-CMT030 on it

2. Cars which are not meant to be registered legally - they will grind off the chassis number part, just like you said. They will also not issue any documents for the car to be registered. Using such cars on the road are illegal. They are only auctioned off to extract spares.

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Much appreciated.. Like I said, my friend's already sold the car. So now the ball's in the buyer's court.

If, say an accident occurred which required the replacing/repairing of that panel where the number is engraved, I wonder what's the legally correct thing to do. Engrave the number again yourself? or..? any thoughts..

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Much appreciated.. Like I said, my friend's already sold the car. So now the ball's in the buyer's court.

If, say an accident occurred which required the replacing/repairing of that panel where the number is engraved, I wonder what's the legally correct thing to do. Engrave the number again yourself? or..? any thoughts..

engrave the number through RMV approval at government workshop

Harshan has already provided the answer. Sadly I had to go through this process once, as a stupid tinker cut out half of the chassis number during a repair (absolute moron).

So we had put the car forward for inspection by the Government chemist, who then certified that the car was genuine, and then we took the certificate to RMV who engraved the number back onto the car. It was a fairly lengthy process particularly the first step. The car was in our care throughout though and was used while all of this was going on.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jedikasun" data-cid="258760" data-time="1395223808"><p>

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Much appreciated.. Like I said, my friend's already sold the car. So now the ball's in the buyer's court.<br />

<br />

If, say an accident occurred which required the replacing/repairing of that panel where the number is engraved, I wonder what's the legally correct thing to do. Engrave the number again yourself? or..? any thoughts..</p></blockquote>

If there is a damage to the location where the chassis number is engraved, it indicates serious structural damage to the car. That makes the car not roadworthy and should be condemned. However, in Sri Lanka it almost never happens. On top of it we have people like the mechanic don mentioned.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="jedikasun" data-cid="258760" data-time="1395223808"><p>

Thanks for the replies, everyone! Much appreciated.. Like I said, my friend's already sold the car. So now the ball's in the buyer's court.<br />

<br />

If, say an accident occurred which required the replacing/repairing of that panel where the number is engraved, I wonder what's the legally correct thing to do. Engrave the number again yourself? or..? any thoughts..</p></blockquote>

If there is a damage to the location where the chassis number is engraved, it indicates serious structural damage to the car. That makes the car not roadworthy and should be condemned. However, in Sri Lanka it almost never happens. On top of it we have people like the mechanic don mentioned.

If the number is damaged due to a legitimate reason, the above process needs to be followed to re engrave it back.

8 hours ago, Shannn said:

The vin tag is missing what can i do

What is the car you have and where did you get it from ? Japanese market vehicles do not have a VIN number. They have frame codes etched on an ID plate and on the firewall, chassis, etc...

On 7/21/2020 at 4:40 AM, iRage said:

What is the car you have and where did you get it from ? Japanese market vehicles do not have a VIN number. They have frame codes etched on an ID plate and on the firewall, chassis, etc...

I have nissan fb 13 and i lost that steel plate that attached next to the chassy number .is it a big issue.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Shannn said:

I have nissan fb 13 and i lost that steel plate that attached next to the chassy number .is it a big issue.

Hmm...it is a bit of a hassle. In case you have to get your car inspected they will look at the ID plate to see what the engine capacity is and what the original color was etc...At the end of the day it is the ID plate tht is used to verify certain things in the CR book. How did you lose it ? I am not sure if you need to notify the police and stuff...you better check with the RMV.

You technically cannot lose the chassis number. It should be etched in the firewall. So you shold still have the chassis number ? Also, typically the chassis number is etched in a few other places as well...I do not know where in a FB13...

On 7/24/2020 at 1:10 PM, iRage said:

Hmm...it is a bit of a hassle. In case you have to get your car inspected they will look at the ID plate to see what the engine capacity is and what the original color was etc...At the end of the day it is the ID plate tht is used to verify certain things in the CR book. How did you lose it ? I am not sure if you need to notify the police and stuff...you better check with the RMV.

You technically cannot lose the chassis number. It should be etched in the firewall. So you shold still have the chassis number ? Also, typically the chassis number is etched in a few other places as well...I do not know where in a FB13...

I didnt lose the chassy number chassy number is there. i lose that steel plate reverted on the chassy

What do you mean its missing ? Some cars have it on the firewall..some under the dirver's seat...some under the passenger's seat..etc...so check those places. Plus, depending on the vehicle you will have chassis number engraved on the chassis (ladder frame or skeletol frame of a unibody car). 

Or are you saying that for some reason somone just cut off your chassis number ? Sometimes chassis numbers get shaved off by the authorities like Customs dept of auctioned/seized cars, etc...