• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Most Comfortable Tire Size

MiraOwner

Question

10 answers to this question

Hi All

Whats the most comfortable tire size for a 12" RIM? not concerned about fuel consumption but comfort. and whats the best brand?

generally, the lower the profile, the less comfortable it will be (because the sidewalls are stiffer); but, for the same width, higher profile => bigger tyre, which will reduce the clearance between the tyre and the wheelarch. what is the stock tyre size?

Hi All

Whats the most comfortable tire size for a 12" RIM? not concerned about fuel consumption but comfort. and whats the best brand?

Buddy when the profile is high it increases ride comfort at the cost of Handling.If you go for 155/70/12 it would be balanced i guess.But If you want to make it more comfortable go for 155/80/12. :)

Edited by kelum_wj

generally, the lower the profile, the less comfortable it will be (because the sidewalls are stiffer); but, for the same width, higher profile => bigger tyre, which will reduce the clearance between the tyre and the wheelarch. what is the stock tyre size?

Thanks for the reply,

The previous owner has installed 2 different sizes, car is in the garage at the moment going through a wheel / brake related health check. i dont really remember the size of the tire. my guess is that the current tire size is the same as the stock alto tires. since the alloys are the same from the alto (i think the guy who sold it to me got a cheap set from somewhere) but one of the rear tires is wider than the rest. around 1.5 CM i would say.

What was the original manufacturer stock tires? i really dont know. but i think it would be a 13" than a 12" since i saw a few of the same car with 13" rims.

i googled about this and i found out in this site http://www.daihatsu-mira.com/specs/1999.5/10467/

that the original size is 155/65R13 73S (Whats 73S? :unsure: ) does anyone think going back to 13 and the same original manufacturers specs is better?

the manufacturer spec is a balance of comfort, handling, fuel economy, looks etc. as per the intended market of the car (e.g. a sports car would be biased towards handling than comfort). Going from 13" to 12" (assuming same overall tyre diameter - less steel, more rubber/air) would generally mean more comfort at the expense of handling (how quickly the tire responds when you turn the steering) and fuel economy (more rolling resistance - how much the tyre will deform before it starts turning). But as comfort is your priority you could probably stay with 12", especially as moving to 13" will cost you for the wheels.

if you stay with R12, 155/65R13 closest match is 155/75R12, or you can go for a wider tyre (e.g. 165/70R12) but that would be a bit more expensive (on the other hand it should last a bit longer too). Don't go too wide or the tyre will rub on wheel arches when turning

73S is load/speed rating; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

generally not worth to go for higher speed rating (costs more, lasts less) on a car like this; given Sri Lankan typical driving conditions you can probably go with a much lower speed rating if available.

BTW the ride will be more comfortable if you under-inflate the tyres a little, but I don't recommend this as this reduces the life of the tyre and could result in a blowout

the manufacturer spec is a balance of comfort, handling, fuel economy, looks etc. as per the intended market of the car (e.g. a sports car would be biased towards handling than comfort). Going from 13" to 12" (assuming same overall tyre diameter - less steel, more rubber/air) would generally mean more comfort at the expense of handling (how quickly the tire responds when you turn the steering) and fuel economy (more rolling resistance - how much the tyre will deform before it starts turning). But as comfort is your priority you could probably stay with 12", especially as moving to 13" will cost you for the wheels.

if you stay with R12, 155/65R13 closest match is 155/75R12, or you can go for a wider tyre (e.g. 165/70R12) but that would be a bit more expensive (on the other hand it should last a bit longer too). Don't go too wide or the tyre will rub on wheel arches when turning

73S is load/speed rating; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tire_code

generally not worth to go for higher speed rating (costs more, lasts less) on a car like this; given Sri Lankan typical driving conditions you can probably go with a much lower speed rating if available.

BTW the ride will be more comfortable if you under-inflate the tyres a little, but I don't recommend this as this reduces the life of the tyre and could result in a blowout

Excellent! thanks...