• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

About Polishes..

kushan

Hi Guys,

I have several questions, all about polishes :)

1. What is called for a polish that applies to the outer body of the car?

2. Polish applies on interior of the car (dashboard etc.. ) ?

3. Polish applies on alloy wheels ?

4. Polish applies on the tyres to make those more black in color?

and finally, From where can I buy those? :jumping-smiley-013:

Hi Guys,

I have several questions, all about polishes :)

1. What is called for a polish that applies to the outer body of the car?

2. Polish applies on interior of the car (dashboard etc.. ) ?

3. Polish applies on alloy wheels ?

4. Polish applies on the tyres to make those more black in color?

and finally, From where can I buy those? :jumping-smiley-013:

1- Its car wax -eg Meguairs,Turtle wax,Soft 99

2- Its Uv protector-eg Son of a Gun,Dash

3- Alloy cleaner-eg- 3M wheel cleaner,Eagle One

4- Tyre Shine- Turtle,Eagle One

You can buy them from Supermarkets or else try Auto accessory shops :)

Edited by kelum_wj
  • Like 1

:) thanks mate, its time for shopping then...

Guys where we can find 3M items, I'm looking for 3M car wax.

There's a 3M tint shop at darley road, at the beginning of the road (from Maradana side) , perhaps you can ask from them

1. About the wax. There's a couple of things you need to think about which is whether you want to use liquid wax or paste wax.

Liquid is generally less time consuming to apply, whereas paste wax offers a deeper shine that lasts longs. The downside of it is that a proper wax job using paste wax is time consuming and could easily take a half day to do (depends if you are perfectionist).

Long story short, you need to think about which one you want to go with. I would suggest paste wax.

2. Before using a Uv protector it's always good to use a dash cleaner beforehand to get the old layers off. Wurth makes a pretty good interior cleaner. Smells good too There are other brands out there too but can't think of them right now. Apply a decent UV protector afterwards.

3.Alloy cleaner. Use the 3m stainless steel cleaner. Works real well. It goes in as a foam, leave it for a min or two to eat into the grime and then polish. Try not to get the stuff on your rotors. It will make them creak for a few KMs and scare the crap out of you.

4. Tire shine...It's the tires, just get the cheap stuff. Dash makes some decent stuff. Also most of the time you can use the tire shine stuff on the plastic in the engine bay to brighten it up a little.

• Like 1

1. About the wax. There's a couple of things you need to think about which is whether you want to use liquid wax or paste wax.

Liquid is generally less time consuming to apply, whereas paste wax offers a deeper shine that lasts longs. The downside of it is that a proper wax job using paste wax is time consuming and could easily take a half day to do (depends if you are perfectionist).

Long story short, you need to think about which one you want to go with. I would suggest paste wax.

2. Before using a Uv protector it's always good to use a dash cleaner beforehand to get the old layers off. Wurth makes a pretty good interior cleaner. Smells good too There are other brands out there too but can't think of them right now. Apply a decent UV protector afterwards.

3.Alloy cleaner. Use the 3m stainless steel cleaner. Works real well. It goes in as a foam, leave it for a min or two to eat into the grime and then polish. Try not to get the stuff on your rotors. It will make them creak for a few KMs and scare the crap out of you.

4. Tire shine...It's the tires, just get the cheap stuff. Dash makes some decent stuff. Also most of the time you can use the tire shine stuff on the plastic in the engine bay to brighten it up a little.

great source of info!.. thanks mate, :) Do you know a place where I can buy all these ?

Use liquid wax if you are doing the job- paste wax is ideal if you are outsourcing the job :) -As it tends to give one a bad back :P One thing I must add to JD's excellent post- is that a lot depends on the type of fabric used to buff out shine. Micro fiber works best even though its expensive..

To shine the tires- I really like cheap dash stuff or even better- good 'ol paste black shoe polish :)

• Like 1

Use liquid wax if you are doing the job- paste wax is ideal if you are outsourcing the job :) -As it tends to give one a bad back :P One thing I must add to JD's excellent post- is that a lot depends on the type of fabric used to buff out shine. Micro fiber works best even though its expensive..

Agreed. It does leave a bad back, but I must say the results are always well worth it.

I forgot to mention the micro-fiber cloth.

Also when using paste wax you can get a great result by rubbing the entire car down with the sponge that comes with it then waiting half hour or so till the wax dries out.

Another thing I should note is that for minor details when waxing (eg. curves/lines in the hood) small, clean 100% cotton cloth (maybe from an old odel t-shirt) works very well. Doing an excellent wax job is like an art. You need to feel all the curves and lines.

That said, if you are taking my advice you should also have some pain killers handy. The last time I did a complete detail on the car, I ended up having to take a pain killer.

• Like 1

hay guys how much will a cut and polish costs for the car?? any idea?? and a good place?

KleenPark ....

Agreed. It does leave a bad back, but I must say the results are always well worth it.

Also when using paste wax you can get a great result by rubbing the entire car down with the sponge that comes with it then waiting half hour or so till the wax dries out.

Another thing I should note is that for minor details when waxing (eg. curves/lines in the hood) small, clean 100% cotton cloth (maybe from an old odel t-shirt) works very well. Doing an excellent wax job is like an art. You need to feel all the curves and lines.

That said, if you are taking my advice you should also have some pain killers handy. The last time I did a complete detail on the car, I ended up having to take a pain killer.

Thanks mate, invaluable info..... I will add the micro fiber also to the list. and paste wax with some pain killers too :D :D

To shine the tires- I really like cheap dash stuff or even better- good 'ol paste black shoe polish :)

I never thought about shoe polish. :D good idea pil. Im gonna try that next time :)

Yup I can vouch for Meguairs Tech wax 2.0 :D

And for tyres, dash is cheap and works, though doesn't last longer

:) I used to swear by 3m paste- until the time and pain, made it unpractical. Thats when I switched to lovely Mcgauire and Eagle1 nano polishes- which deliver a better result IMO.