• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ek3 Heating Guage

Duminda_CR

Hi guys who ownes EK3...

can you please share your experience with me regurding heat guage? is it steady when you drive your car? i mean will it heat up till middle line and be same till you stop the engine at normal run?

mine is varying. some times when i speeding its get cold and its come down till "C". and when its going in traffic it comes near middle possition. what is the reason for this? coz my previous car was nissan FB 15. its one was very steady.

Hi guys who ownes EK3...

can you please share your experience with me regurding heat guage? is it steady when you drive your car? i mean will it heat up till middle line and be same till you stop the engine at normal run?

mine is varying. some times when i speeding its get cold and its come down till "C". and when its going in traffic it comes near middle possition. what is the reason for this? coz my previous car was nissan FB 15. its one was very steady.

In normal run mine stay steady just below middle position. However if I travel in 5th gear for longer period .. say about 3 - 4 Km, then it drops little lower. And if I climb down the "Kadugannawa" in 4th or 5th gear without much acceleration, it almost hit the lower mark depending on the time I travel. However with in 1 - 2 Km it comes back to normal.

that means its normally varying nor? when the engine runs smoothly, i mean with good ventalations and 4th 5th gears heat comes lower. right?

afaik fb 15 has a higher engine temperature compare to ek3 maybe that's why you feel little difference :)

Hi guys who ownes EK3...

in any car under normal driving conditions temp gauge should stay in middle. it looks like your EK3 cooling system is not working properly. ideally when the heat transfer is good due to higher amount of wind blow through radiator the thermostat valve should close the water flow and maintain the optimal working temperature for the engine.

better to take your car to a good mechanic and identify where the issue is and rectify if possible. making engine to run under optimal temperature gives better millage and low engine wear.

in any car under normal driving conditions temp gauge should stay in middle. it looks like your EK3 cooling system is not working properly. ideally when the heat transfer is good due to higher amount of wind blow through radiator the thermostat valve should close the water flow and maintain the optimal working temperature for the engine.

better to take your car to a good mechanic and identify where the issue is and rectify if possible. making engine to run under optimal temperature gives better millage and low engine wear.

me too thought there may be some thing wrong with the thermostat valve. how can i confirm it? because the guy who do repairs said all are working properly. but i feels uncomfirtable.

me too thought there may be some thing wrong with the thermostat valve. how can i confirm it? because the guy who do repairs said all are working properly. but i feels uncomfirtable.

take out the thermostat valve and put it on a boiling water (100C) you will see it is getting opened and then put it in cold water (30C or less) then the valve should get closed. do this few times and see how it opens and closes. also check the tension of the spring when it is cold if valve is not closing properly or if it is the valve spring is too loose then you need to replace with the correct valve.

also check the radiator cap for the correct pressure that it opens and closes. you can check this roughly by reving the engine under hot and cold conditions, unless there is not enough coolant or too much coolant there wont be much of in or out flow of coolant from radiator (about 100ml of in flow or outflow would be normal)

also check your radiator and AC fans. I have seen some AC mechanics have hard wired the AC condenser fan to run the fan irrespective of the temperature that can also cause problems if both radiator and AC condenser face the same airflow.

someone would've taken the thermostat valve off. It's got nothing to do with radiator or radiator fans based on the symptoms you've mentioned. If it was hard wired fans the temp should go down even during stop-go traffic. But this happens when you cruise at an average speed, means although the fans stop working the radiator gets a free wind flow which keeps on exchanging heat. If this continues, say the temp of the water flow decreases below say 70 (depending on the type of the thermostat operating temp) the valve should shut off and prevents water circulation through the radiator. If the temp of water exceeds a particular temp, then the valve opens up allowing the flow through radiator, and if it comes close to 90's the radiator fan/fans should kick in.

Search this forum for thermostat valve related threads and install a good quality one preferably from agents.

Hi guys who ownes EK3...

nope..the heat gauge stands liitle below the half mark when the engine is at optimum temperature and it could not go up or down while you are running. thats my experience with both multimatic and manual d15b engines. i doubt your thermostat is not working properly or already removed.

nope..the heat gauge stands liitle below the half mark when the engine is at optimum temperature and it could not go up or down while you are running. thats my experience with both multimatic and manual d15b engines. i doubt your thermostat is not working properly or already removed.

This is what I'm experiencing as well, but when driving night time on the 5th gear around 60-80kmph, I have noticed the gauge goes down a little bit than the normal level. And again it rises to the just below half mark when the car gets slower down.

This is what I'm experiencing as well, but when driving night time on the 5th gear around 60-80kmph, I have noticed the gauge goes down a little bit than the normal level. And again it rises to the just below half mark when the car gets slower down.

thats justifiable.

The EK3 guage is staying half level or just little below half level. And do you have this fluctuation in every stop and go situation or is it only when you are crusing in 5th gear? And also even in 5th gear if it comes below low level and stops at "C" some thing is wrong.

But when you continously drive in 5th gear in night time may be around 60 - 80Kmph, guage coming little below the half mark and resting there is normal. But as said if it comes to "C" mark, get it checked.

Hi Guys,

I guess this is just related to the heating issue although it doesn't have any changes in the heating guage.

A few days back I noticed that the extra water tank for radiator is completely empty, then I filled up water again to Max level. Then today I got the car to a service, then the service guys showed me a leak in the radiator. It is just below the cap of the radiator (head part of the radiator, not in the pipe lines). It seems a tiny crack. They told that the top part of the radiator need to be removed and need to fix a newly made one. As I didn't have time for it today, they just able to fix it with a temporary solution by applying some brake pad dust with supper glue. Luckily it is working still, But I'm not willing to keep such things in my car. So guys how can I get it repaired permanently. Any recommended ways and place?

Thanks a lot.

• 2 months later...

Guys I have a problem with engine heat need some opinions.

All started when a friend of mine dropped me home after a party, he drove the car about 15Km. Next day when I return home and stop the engine i noticed engine is boiling but heat gauge is normal. So I checked the reserve tank noticed its gone below min level. And i top-up it. Next day issue came again I can hear the water boils, but reserve tank was full.

Yesterday I climbed Kadugannawa with A/C on.. noticed temp. Gauge goes up so I switch on the heater wait few mins. It went back to normal. Checked today morning radiator is full, reserve coolant level gone down by 1cm - 2cm.

Observations

1- No visible leaks in the system & coolant level hasn't dropped significantly after initial top-up.

2- Pressure cap allows coolant to transfer to reserve tank, but I doubts it works other way (reserve tank to radiator)

3- Can see some coolant vapor/marks near the reserve tank cap (reserve tank getting over flowed???)

4- Fan seems working when engine heat is up, but what if it does not start on time?

I am thinking of of 2 things. Pressure cap malfunction or heat sensor/fan does not working properply.

Also where the heat sensor located what is the connection between coolant temperature sensor and heat sensor?

Edited by MkX