• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Alto Radiator Problem

rashita

Question

Hi Experts

Recently I have replaced my Japan Suzuki Alto Radiator to a used one. Now im experiencing water level issue. If fill the radiator up to the cap, and when the car heats up and pressure builds it always pumps water (about a cup) to the overflow tank. After every drive I used to remove the overflow tank and fill the radiator.

If fill the radiator, keeping level of overflow tank maximum, radiator cap damaged. I think it is because of the pressure. ‘Cos it can’t pumps the water overflow tank, since it is in the max level.

Technicians says no signs of a gas cut issue and they also can’t find the reason for this. I replaced many caps and the problem still exists.

I didn’t had this problem with my previous radiator. I had to replace it due to a leak. Can anyone help on this please..

5 answers to this question

Hi Experts

Recently I have replaced my Japan Suzuki Alto Radiator to a used one. Now im experiencing water level issue. If fill the radiator up to the cap, and when the car heats up and pressure builds it always pumps water (about a cup) to the overflow tank. After every drive I used to remove the overflow tank and fill the radiator.

If fill the radiator, keeping level of overflow tank maximum, radiator cap damaged. I think it is because of the pressure. ‘Cos it can’t pumps the water overflow tank, since it is in the max level.

Technicians says no signs of a gas cut issue and they also can’t find the reason for this. I replaced many caps and the problem still exists.

I didn’t had this problem with my previous radiator. I had to replace it due to a leak. Can anyone help on this please..

have you used the recommended radiator cap with the matching pressure to the original one you had? Further, having max level water in overflow tank cannot damage the radiator or cap since the overflow tank too has another overflow line. However, sending some amount of coolant to the overflow tank is alright and when the system cool down, it'll take the balance from the overflow tank. Just keep watching the level in the tank, don't open the radiator cap frequently, it'll result in shortening the life time of the cap.

have you used the recommended radiator cap with the matching pressure to the original one you had? Further, having max level water in overflow tank cannot damage the radiator or cap since the overflow tank too has another overflow line. However, sending some amount of coolant to the overflow tank is alright and when the system cool down, it'll take the balance from the overflow tank. Just keep watching the level in the tank, don't open the radiator cap frequently, it'll result in shortening the life time of the cap.

Thank you very much for the reply. When i purchased the radiator there was a cap. But it was not in a good condition. So I purchased Japanese cap with the same pressure. Also checked with other Japanese alto cars and cap is the same. Purchased Radiator is 100% similar to original one.

(But used one).

What I noticed is radiator sending some amount of water to the overflow tank (Approx a cup of water) when the car heats up. But when the system is cooling down, it did not take the balance (What it sent) from the overflow tank. So after a drive water level of the radiator goes down. Overflow tank level goes up. But it is always to a limit. (Overflow tank level will not goes up after a certain level)

My experience with the previous radiator was when I open the cap, water level was upto the cap level. With this radiator its not the case. Is it a problem? Please help.

What I noticed is radiator sending some amount of water to the overflow tank (Approx a cup of water) when the car heats up. But when the system is cooling down, it did not take the balance (What it sent) from the overflow tank. So after a drive water level of the radiator goes down.

Well water circulating to the overflow tank is normal when the engine is hot, however water not returning is a concern. This might be caused by a blockage in the pipe connecting the overflow tank, also empty the overflow tank and clean the bottom of the tank if possible as rust might be stored and might be clogging up the tank.

Overflow tank level goes up. But it is always to a limit. (Overflow tank level will not goes up after a certain level)

This might be because the the excess water is overflowing from the tank.

My experience with the previous radiator was when I open the cap, water level was upto the cap level. With this radiator its not the case. Is it a problem? Please help.

Did you check for any leaks in the new radiator ? also water going into the overflow tank and not returning might be the cause of the low water level

Well water circulating to the overflow tank is normal when the engine is hot, however water not returning is a concern. This might be caused by a blockage in the pipe connecting the overflow tank, also empty the overflow tank and clean the bottom of the tank if possible as rust might be stored and might be clogging up the tank.

This might be because the the excess water is overflowing from the tank.

Did you check for any leaks in the new radiator ? also water going into the overflow tank and not returning might be the cause of the low water level

Hi

I checked the new radiator. No leaks. I'll clean the overflow tank and post the result. Thanks for the advice.

if you're not using coolant..i'd suggest you use it cos...tiny leaks are tough to spot if you're only using water. even if you let go of all other benefits of using proper coolant... even bits of steam getting leaked will almost always leave a tell-tale residue when you have coolant in the system.

Even if the radiator core is ok there can be a tiny leak in one of the hoses...not an uncommon scenario.

Check if the cap seal is in good shape and hasn't got damaged etc

Also...the hose leaving to the expansion bottle/coolant reservoir shouldn't have any cuts and stuff. The whole coolant system is a sealed one and the coolant get sucked back into the radiator when it cools is only from vacuum action.