• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

150 members have voted

1. 1. Will Hybrids Fail Or Succeed In Sri Lanka?

• FAIL - Hybrids will NOT become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'FAIL' in Sri Lanka
    • SUCCEED - Hybrids will become accepted and 'mainstream' and will 'SUCCEED' in Sri Lanka

Members,

As the previous post says when a new system comes to Srilanka most motorists do not like to accept them. I remember in 1960s alternators came instead of dynamos then motorists removed alternators and fixed dynamos to their cars.

When 30 years agoTV was inaugurated there were few people who know how to repair a TV. Today every town has a TV Repair shop. For example computer industry 25 years after computers were introduced we are having plenty of repairs to do a computer repair.

Then the front wheel drive vehicles no one wanted them followed by torque converter auto drive vehicles. Some importers had to go to courts to settle matters at that time. You can order a manual car. Due to the Japanese exporter s mistake exporter shipped an auto car then buyer had paid the money opened the L/C imported cleared the car to notice it is an auto car he filed a case against the person who gave the invoice. Fortunately for the invoicing agent had not stipulated on the invoice and L/C opener for the car had to be a manual. Case was settled importer agreeing to give a used manual gear box and a used Windshield glass. Original glass had a small star crack on it.

Now hybrids have come there will be problems srilankan mechanics’ will get use to repair them only problem the drive battery that sometimes give trouble .In USA most battery repairers repair them after changing only the bad cell they have mastered the battery repairing technology with a guarantee for two to three years depending on the other cells of the battery. Charging and discharging few times with a load. Drive motors do not give much trouble they have very simple winding. Only thing the electronic circuits can give trouble. Our technicians will very soon study the electronics and they will repair them too.

For all this is matter of time we motorists should not under estimate capabilities of our technicians. There are plenty of modern repair technologies have come to srilanka. Auto detailing is one twenty five years ago no one did auto detailing, now every few miles on main roads there are auto detailing centers. WE had only service stations to change oil and clean undercarriages.

Today there are plenty of automobile maintenances training centers so all who qualify and get out of them will be future good technicians. Most problems on new cars can be monitored on instruments.

Like doctors wants tests done to diagnose health situation of humans.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

As the previous post says when a new system comes to Srilanka most motorists do not like to accept them. I remember in 1960s alternators came instead of dynamos then motorists removed alternators and fixed dynamos to their cars.

When 30 years agoTV was inaugurated there were few people who know how to repair a TV. Today every town has a TV Repair shop. For example computer industry 25 years after computers were introduced we are having plenty of repairs to do a computer repair.

Then the front wheel drive vehicles no one wanted them followed by torque converter auto drive vehicles. Some importers had to go to courts to settle matters at that time. You can order a manual car. Due to the Japanese exporter s mistake exporter shipped an auto car then buyer had paid the money opened the L/C imported cleared the car to notice it is an auto car he filed a case against the person who gave the invoice. Fortunately for the invoicing agent had not stipulated on the invoice and L/C opener for the car had to be a manual. Case was settled importer agreeing to give a used manual gear box and a used Windshield glass. Original glass had a small star crack on it.

Now hybrids have come there will be problems srilankan mechanics’ will get use to repair them only problem the drive battery that sometimes give trouble .In USA most battery repairers repair them after changing only the bad cell they have mastered the battery repairing technology with a guarantee for two to three years depending on the other cells of the battery. Charging and discharging few times with a load. Drive motors do not give much trouble they have very simple winding. Only thing the electronic circuits can give trouble. Our technicians will very soon study the electronics and they will repair them too.

For all this is matter of time we motorists should not under estimate capabilities of our technicians. There are plenty of modern repair technologies have come to srilanka. Auto detailing is one twenty five years ago no one did auto detailing, now every few miles on main roads there are auto detailing centers. WE had only service stations to change oil and clean undercarriages.

Today there are plenty of automobile maintenances training centers so all who qualify and get out of them will be future good technicians. Most problems on new cars can be monitored on instruments.

Like doctors wants tests done to diagnose health situation of humans.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Partially agree.........but "Do We Have Enough" good Technicians or Auto Engineers in Sri Lanka who can do a professional job. Yes there are too many shops around. But is there quality work even with the agents. The profession has gone to dogs. Any one who can handle a wrench and pour oil opens a service center and also try to do running repairs.

When you talk to these people and cross question them few times they go boo boo and wah wah.....even the agents tell a cart load or cock and bull stories........I can write a dozen here.

You have taken electronic repair shops as an example. 95% of the do not do diagnosis. They just repair by replacing parts with their experience. With my electronics background, I can vouch for that. For the past 22 years, I have seen only a handful of people whom can be called professional in day to day electronic repairs.

As a car user, I am still searching high and wide for a repair place and a professional who bases his decisions on fundamentals of Auto engineering, Physics and experience. If you know any please let me know (by the way I did really liked one of your posts where you have described the way you have rebuilt engines, that is a professional approach).

I believe there should be some standardization in the industry with a certification from a governing body to regulate the Auto engineering profession and repair places. The investment with come back to the country as a return in the form of "lower repair costs in the long run", "higher efficient vehicles", "less accidents in road and work place".

Long term, we can attract Auto manufacturers to start plants here and also the elite techs can work as expats and make some FC for the country.

For me as of now, it is a wild world out there when it comes to Auto engineering in SL. It is high time to straighten and clean this.

By the way, I have seen agents and mechanics doing crappy things overseas well developed countries, but the rate is much lower compared to us.

I do sincerely hope the current Hybrid repair centers will dispose the batteries correctly, with out causing damage for the environment. This is a costly affair, do the owners of the Hybrids and the Repair shops aware of this.

'varunatech',

If I am not mistaken you are referring to Nicel poisoning. if not properly disposed.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

'varunatech',

If I am not mistaken you are referring to Nicel poisoning. if not properly disposed.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Yes, plus few more heavy metals. Proper disposal is a must, and as I know Toyota pay back USD 200 for every Prius battery returned. To make sure proper recycling. Cd in batteries will find it's way to ground water table and will contaminate for years, making serious damage.

As a side note, this apply to all batteries we use in watches, laptop etc.... I heard there is a company which collects Laptop batteries in SL for proper disposal. Ink and toner in Printers and copiers has to be properly disposed too. Lead we use for soldering is too bad as fumes, I have seen only few places in SL whom uses proper ventilation and air circulation systems in electronic repair places. Once I hammered a manger at such a bad place and educated the technicians or rather persuaded them to install a proper ventilation system and wear gloves and masks. Imagine soldering for 8 to 10 hours per day. Also our cops on street are a sorry scene. Some rarely uses a cover, others just stay out.........thank less job they do, feel pity though usually they are pretty ineffective.

Yes, plus few more heavy metals. Proper disposal is a must, and as I know Toyota pay back USD 200 for every Prius battery returned. To make sure proper recycling. Cd in batteries will find it's way to ground water table and will contaminate for years, making serious damage.

As a side note, this apply to all batteries we use in watches, laptop etc.... I heard there is a company which collects Laptop batteries in SL for proper disposal. Ink and toner in Printers and copiers has to be properly disposed too. Lead we use for soldering is too bad as fumes, I have seen only few places in SL whom uses proper ventilation and air circulation systems in electronic repair places. Once I hammered a manger at such a bad place and educated the technicians or rather persuaded them to install a proper ventilation system and wear gloves and masks. Imagine soldering for 8 to 10 hours per day. Also our cops on street are a sorry scene. Some rarely uses a cover, others just stay out.........thank less job they do, feel pity though usually they are pretty ineffective.

'varunatech',

Yes to all what your post says. I did an assignment to a laboratory in USA where we did clinical trials of human beings too. I was in instrument development department we cannot expect developed country standards in Srilanka.

Today in City of Colombo Municipality, do not have a proper drainage system. That is one reason to flood Colombo streets after a shower for few hours. All sewerage lines are connected to rain water out lets from buildings.It is 100 years old system of drainage we have.

I only can suggest to form a association to develop repair standards for automobiles and educate some professionals and trade school mechanics who do not practice what they have learned from the free education what we have enjoyed for more than 60 years because of the Late Non C.W.W. Kannangara.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Edited by Sylvi

'varunatech',

Yes to all what your post says. I did an assignment to a laboratory in USA where we did clinical trials of human beings too. I was in instrument development department we cannot expect developed country standards in Srilanka.

Today in City of Colombo Municipality, do not have a proper drainage system. That is one reason to flood Colombo streets after a shower for few hours. All sewerage lines are connected to rain water out lets from buildings.It is 100 years old system of drainage we have.

I only can sagest to form a association to develop repair standards for automobiles and educate some professionals and trade school mechanics who do not practice what they have learned from the free education what we have enjoyed for more than 60 years because of the Late Non C.W.W. Kannangara.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Damn.. What this post has to do with the success or failure of Hybrid cars in Sri Lanka?

:lol:

Ahh!! that explains a lot on why you make retarded comments all the time.... You were test monkey for chemical waste disposal.

Leaving jokes aside, I didnt think it would be possible but sylvi's thread ruining nature has gotten so bad it even derailed a freaking hybrid thread. Jeez!!

• Like 6

Ahh!! that explains a lot on why you make retarded comments all the time.... You were test monkey for chemical waste disposal.

Leaving jokes aside, I didnt think it would be possible but sylvi's thread ruining nature has gotten so bad it even derailed a freaking hybrid thread. Jeez!!

'watchman'

You eat your own words. This type of reply is from people that have gone to bad schools. I am here to post my opinions based on 50 years of washing cars. I am a blue collar worker and my family is rich. I am now retired and live in my ancesteral home. I hhave installed two wells in it to supply water.

MEMBERS,

One member posted a post do srilanka hybrid repair centers are geared to dispose the faulty batteries correctly. Certain chemicals and metals on the hybrid batteries can affect ground water. If you dump those batteries on the ground He knows the adverse effect of same.

I posted for that post to dispose the batteries of hybrid cars. I told Srilanka has not geared for hybrid battery, waste disposal when we are facing with our own waste disposal is a problem.

I have seen the careful way how developed countries dispose their waste. There are registered companies to do that correctly.

When we discuss a topic sometimes other relevant things get added to that topic.Which may not directly on the topic

I replied for battery waste disposal and not fully qualified mechanics and how the other top level engineers in establishments take thins as very simple.

Requested to have a association like a authority who motorists can complain for their grievances. Like Consumer protection authority. If you read the forum there are lot of members have complains against repair centers.

Simple and short I do not have Blood stains on my hands. There are reputed Automobile Engineers Who are rolling stones.When they find they cannot do any more of their inborn habits, they at last start a garage and do a living.

Some members can give their opinions as they like. They turn and and twist my posts to counter attack myself.

This forum has some this type of members. who do not like me posting.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

I only can sagest to form a association to develop repair standards for automobiles and educate some professionals and trade school mechanics who do not practice what they have learned from the free education what we have enjoyed for more than 60 years because of the Late Non C.W.W. Kannangara.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

you can what??

seriously, what kind of sentencing is this? queen's?

teaching to free education to CWW.K. why don't you continue like .... who was born to so and so in Sri Lanka which got independence in 1948 after being ruled by the British ......

you can what??

teaching to free education to CWW.K. why don't you continue like .... who was born to so and so in Sri Lanka which got independence in 1948 after being ruled by the British ......

err....'sentencing'???? :D case of pot calling kettle black eh?

Edited by ShintaroX
  • Like 3

you can what??

I am sorry this is out of OP. But has to say................

My view is no one should be afraid or shy about making mistakes in his second language. He should be utter ashamed to do a mistake in his Mother tongue. See the leaders in countries like China, Russia, Japan.........do they try to show off their English skills, they use their mother tongue.

Sadly, we Sri Lankans think we should be ashamed to make a mistake in English................

And the modern cyber / blog posts does not care much on accuracy, if one can pass the information that is good enough...............

• Like 2

My view is no one should be afraid or shy about making mistakes in his second language. He should be utter ashamed to do a mistake in his Mother tongue. See the leaders in countries like China, Russia, Japan.........do they try to show off their English skills, they use their mother tongue.

Sadly, we Sri Lankans think we should be ashamed to make a mistake in English................

And the modern cyber / blog posts does not care much on accuracy, if one can pass the information that is good enough...............

varunatech,

i totally agree on that. I did not say we should be ashamed. Even I didn't bother much for the error I made.

but I think you are missing a little history here (forum history). I never criticise posts here, but these kinds of posts continuously drive me nut whether i choose to read or not.

Nobody should be ashamed of making spelling and grammar mistakes in English, but then again, this is an English website. When in Rome...

Imo, the whole point of writing good English is not to show off, but to make it easy to read and understand.

Edited by heavyD
  • Like 5

MEMBERS,

One member posted a post do srilanka hybrid repair centers are geared to dispose the faulty batteries correctly. Certain chemicals and metals on the hybrid batteries can affect ground water. If you dump those batteries on the ground He knows the adverse effect of same.

I posted for that post to dispose the batteries of hybrid cars. I told Srilanka has not geared for hybrid battery, waste disposal when we are facing with our own waste disposal is a problem.

I have seen the careful way how developed countries dispose their waste. There are registered companies to do that correctly.

When we discuss a topic sometimes other relevant things get added to that topic.Which may not directly on the topic

I replied for battery waste disposal and not fully qualified mechanics and how the other top level engineers in establishments take thins as very simple.

Requested to have a association like a authority who motorists can complain for their grievances. Like Consumer protection authority. If you read the forum there are lot of members have complains against repair centers.

Simple and short I do not have Blood stains on my hands. There are reputed Automobile Engineers Who are rolling stones.When they find they cannot do any more of their inborn habits, they at last start a garage and do a living.

Some members can give their opinions as they like. They turn and and twist my posts to counter attack myself.

This forum has some this type of members. who do not like me posting.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Mr. Wijesinghe,

You are absolutely correct. One member posted a post do srilanka hybrid repair centers are geared to dispose the faulty batteries correctly. Certain chemicals and metals on the hybrid batteries can affect ground water. If you dump those batteries on the ground He knows the adverse effect of same.

You posted for that post to dispose the batteries of hybrid cars.You told Srilanka has not geared for hybrid battery, waste disposal when we are facing with our own waste disposal is a problem.

You have seen the careful way how developed countries dispose their waste. There are registered companies to do that correctly.

You replied for battery waste disposal and not fully qualified mechanics and how the other top level engineers in establishments take thins as very simple.

Simple and short you do not have Blood stains on your hands. There are reputed Automobile Engineers Who are rolling stones.When they find they cannot do any more of their inborn habits, they at last start a garage and do a living.

Some members can give their opinions as they like. They turn and and twist your posts to counter attack yourself.

This forum has some this type of members. who do not like retards like you posting.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 2

Members,

There was a spelling mistake on my post I admit that have edited same. My post was a reply post to make my comments how back word our waste disposal system at present and how developed country do their waste disposal. I have had experience in a first class country working for a research and development department.

I have seen some members post with spelling and grammar mistakes. On this forum.

No comments for them when I make a spelling mistake

What a big fuss on that spelling mistake may be one member wanted to add posts to his posts for my spelling mistake.To make extra few Cents adding posts.

Few members who do not like my posts get reincarnation get to gather and attack me.I do not care for them. They will have to face their Waterloo one day.

Please understand no one is perfect in this world.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Members,

There was a spelling mistake on my post I admit that have edited same. My post was a reply post to make my comments how back word our waste disposal system at present and how developed country do their waste disposal. I have had experience in a first class country working for a research and development department.

I have seen some members post with spelling and grammar mistakes. On this forum.

No comments for them when I make a spelling mistake

What a big fuss on that spelling mistake may be one member wanted to add posts to his posts for my spelling mistake.To make extra few Cents adding posts.

Few members who do not like my posts get reincarnation get to gather and attack me.I do not care for them. They will have to face their Waterloo one day.

Please understand no one is perfect in this world.

Sylvi Wijesinghe.

Talk about Irony (area highlighted in red).

Yes, no-one is perfect. See sylvi, YOU are the one who claimed to know the queen's english and know more about english than the other forum contributors, or in your words "educated in 3rd class school and children of shanty dwellers". So if you claim to know such good english and look down upon others you have to SHOW your good english and be criticized when you dont.

Remember YOU are the only one who made such a fuss about queen's english. YOU brought this upon yourself by being the condescending j***a$$ that you have become by that silver fork in your ass.

Edited by Watchman