• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

2010 & 2011 Kia Sorento Owners What Do You Think Of Your Suv?

YesinLegend

Hey btw...when I went over to KIA to order the Sorento.The all new Optima had just arrived. It was gorgeus, just lyk the sonata.Build quality was exceptional.Only offered in gasoline though. They said t'was only 5.5mil base price. full option costs 6.2mil.They said waiting period was 3-4months for any1 who'se interested.BTW I think the sportage looks like a blinged up toad.No offence jst my opinion :D

Congratulations u have bought one of the most value for money vehicles Hyundai , kia)

As the after 2006 models of these companies are well built u won't be having trouble for a long time.

At that price the optima will be abetter competitor for brand new toyota allions and premios,

the so called toad has better looks than the terios and other jap suvs of that size (i think its better than the rav4) but the tucson can be better looking.

• Like 2

I wouldn't take what poscher says about SUVs too seriously. Man thinks the Cayenne is the fastest, most extreme offroader ever. When he says it's a problem in the model, it's probably in his model he owns. :D

The Santa Fe actually has a good track record. It's one of Consumer Reports' top vehicles of 2008.

Hy Big_D do you want to see the quotation that I got yesterday? there were many other Santa Fe's that needed an engine over hauls, but Hyundai didn't have the parts to repair them and it took them more than 4 months to get parts down to Sri Lanka, and the parts just arrived last Friday. if you want you can go check all of them at Hyundai Lanka garage.. By this I don't mean all of them got problems but few had...

I have been in the new cayenne turbo, and its one hell of a beast.. and statistically its the fasted SUV in the market... I'm only taking stats provided by the manufacturer here, not some website review...

Edited by poscher

By this I don't mean all of them got problems but few had...

Well, lets leave it at that then.

I have been in the new cayenne turbo, and its one hell of a beast.. and statistically its the fasted SUV in the market... I'm only taking stats provided by the manufacturer here, not some website review...

Those website reviews are done by journalists who actually test them on the road and track for consumers. They're not selling anything, unlike manufacturers. And the few hits I got off Google tell me the Cayenne isn't the fastest. But then again, I'm sure you'll think those stats are wrong... :rolleyes:

Either way, I personally don't think being 0.1 or 0.2 of a second faster or slower really matters outside of a track, especially when it comes to big, hulking SUVs.

Congratulations u have bought one of the most value for money vehicles Hyundai , kia)

As the after 2006 models of these companies are well built u won't be having trouble for a long time.

At that price the optima will be abetter competitor for brand new toyota allions and premios,

the so called toad has better looks than the terios and other jap suvs of that size (i think its better than the rav4) but the tucson can be better looking.

Yes Like I said I have my opinions.I just don't like sportage. It has less room than the Tucson,Rav4 has way more room.But Sportage is better looking than Rav 4. I think it's so unfair that they don't offer the Optima & Sonata in Diesel models. You get more torque engine & better fuel economy. They are offered in the European & Korean Markets (1.7l CRDi engine).True it'll be a bit more expensive that gasoline versions but it's well worth the extra cash. Thanx BTW :)

• Like 1

Hy Big_D do you want to see the quotation that I got yesterday? there were many other Santa Fe's that needed an engine over hauls, but Hyundai didn't have the parts to repair them and it took them more than 4 months to get parts down to Sri Lanka, and the parts just arrived last Friday. if you want you can go check all of them at Hyundai Lanka garage.. By this I don't mean all of them got problems but few had...

Wow you've been in a Cayenne turbo! I envy you so much.My friends great uncle owns many exotics including the turbo. He's supposed to be a high ranking executive in Porsche (Pvt)Ltd. Would it by any chance be his one? lol. I'm just curious. I really love how the 2011 Cayenne turbo looks it looks so cool & it's way faster than previous Gen.

Edited by YesinLegend

Hey btw...when I went over to KIA to order the Sorento.The all new Optima had just arrived. It was gorgeus, just lyk the sonata.Build quality was exceptional.Only offered in gasoline though. They said t'was only 5.5mil base price. full option costs 6.2mil.They said waiting period was 3-4months for any1 who'se interested.BTW I think the sportage looks like a blinged up toad.No offence jst my opinion :D

the all new optima is a real gem. damn good value for money and literally twice the car of an allion or premio but sadly kia cars will loose value quite quickly in the local market.

the all new optima is a real gem. damn good value for money and literally twice the car of an allion or premio but sadly kia cars will loose value quite quickly in the local market.

I'm sure the public's perception of Kia & Hyundai will change.It already has in the US & Australia.The Sonata outsold the Camry & accord . But I still thinks Ssangyong needs a major overhaul on their brand.

I'm sure the public's perception of Kia & Hyundai will change.It already has in the US & Australia.The Sonata outsold the Camry & accord . But I still thinks Ssangyong needs a major overhaul on their brand.

The problem is this is Sri Lanka. In US & Australia people will look at facts, analyse facts, think outside the box and form opinions / perceptions whereas we are stuck inside a box! Look at the car sales, those who have imported used vehicles from Japan which are so called "unregistered vehicles" by us. 95% of them are Toyotas. That is because we are stuck inside the Toyota box. We cannot think outside the Toyota brand. When it comes to the second hand market we cannot think outside the Toyota and Nissan brands. In Sri Lanka even if some top professionals get together, do a fact based research on the reliability, performance, comfort, safety etc of various vehicles and come out with a report that rates Kia or Hyundai on top of the Japanese, our general public will say that report was a paid job by the Koreans. So our public will live with the existing perceptions forever and ever.

The problem is this is Sri Lanka. In US & Australia people will look at facts, analyse facts, think outside the box and form opinions / perceptions whereas we are stuck inside a box! Look at the car sales, those who have imported used vehicles from Japan which are so called "unregistered vehicles" by us. 95% of them are Toyotas. That is because we are stuck inside the Toyota box. We cannot think outside the Toyota brand. When it comes to the second hand market we cannot think outside the Toyota and Nissan brands. In Sri Lanka even if some top professionals get together, do a fact based research on the reliability, performance, comfort, safety etc of various vehicles and come out with a report that rates Kia or Hyundai on top of the Japanese, our general public will say that report was a paid job by the Koreans. So our public will live with the existing perceptions forever and ever.

I see quite a lot of the Korean SUVs on the road now though. They're quite popular. It's true that the Toyota mentality might never fade, but if Hyundai and Kia stay on their roll, we might see a lot more vehicles in our market.

• Like 2

True.Most people here are very conventional & fear to take a leap of faith. But I remember passing through KIA every week a few years ago & not even bothering to look inside the showroom because I though they were rubbish,only looked at Nissan with their Cefiros & Muranos & such & coveting them :).But now I do look @ KIA when ever I get just to see whether they have a new model (Like the Cadenza which still isn't here):D. Later I found out that Kia had been putting out good quality cars since 2005.(They beat Honda in quality tests) (BEFORE THAT THEY WERE DEATH TRAPS).I'm sure the public will come to realise this.

I recently saw a 2011 Sorento had done 20,000Km & was on sale for 8.6mil in autolanka.My dad's friend had bought a full option one for 7.5mil only(when it first arrived).Now a brand new full option sorento costs nearly 9.2mil.

• Like 1

Btw for anyone worried about performance off the road (not that this is an off-road vehicle nor should you expect to treat it as one), I recently took it through some horrible roads in the hill country (basically no roads) and up some extremely steep paths (some inside a tea estate) where a car would only have been able to roll backwards. The Sorento performed admirably with a full passenger load and AC on. Didn't even break a sweat. So I wouldn't worry about its hardiness in general road conditions at all, very useful vehicle if you're involved in agriculture etc. Plus, it's not big and boorish that is barrels over everything else on the street, in fact it is shorter than a Hiace van in height.

Kia is much better than it was.

I had a Optima 2009 model till last Jan, did 60k, changed break pads once, driver sun visor twice ( roads are not that deference here compare to Colombo city and outskirts but traffic is much lesser) and still running good I heard!

It was a perfect car with smooth 2.4lt V6 petrol engine that gave me a good driving pleasure and value for money I paid ( far better than Corolla and Focus driven before).

Cons - Service is bit more expensive (obviously it was 2.4lt V6 but 2.0lt also the same I heard) and resale value was much lesser compare to Corolla.

Btw for anyone worried about performance off the road (not that this is an off-road vehicle nor should you expect to treat it as one), I recently took it through some horrible roads in the hill country (basically no roads) and up some extremely steep paths (some inside a tea estate) where a car would only have been able to roll backwards. The Sorento performed admirably with a full passenger load and AC on. Didn't even break a sweat. So I wouldn't worry about its hardiness in general road conditions at all, very useful vehicle if you're involved in agriculture etc. Plus, it's not big and boorish that is barrels over everything else on the street, in fact it is shorter than a Hiace van in height.

Hey does your Sorento have a factory fitted TV DVD system? Does KIA offer it here?

This guy has integrated DVD,TV (FRont & rear) & Navigation :o I didn't see this feature in the options list..?

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=48268

Edited by YesinLegend

Hey does your Sorento have a factory fitted TV DVD system? Does KIA offer it here?

This guy has integrated DVD,TV (FRont & rear) & Navigation :o I didn't see this feature in the options list..?

http://www.autolanka.com/ad.asp?ID=48268

No mine doesn't, what he has (if it is factory fitted) is clearly an option...strange it doesn't have tags at the back though, the diesel usually has the model and crdi on the back door, unless removing them is also an available option :)

Edited by SeanD

No mine doesn't, what he has (if it is factory fitted) is clearly an option...strange it doesn't have tags at the back though, the diesel usually has the model and crdi on the back door, unless removing them is also an available option :)

:D maybe it is lol.thanks! Anyhow I'm gonna ask them about this tomorrow.It would be great if they offered this.Is yours a Full option btw?

not being a fan of SUVs i hate to admit this but i think that the SUV buying bunch is more a more progressive one than the rest. non main stream brands of SUVs have a decent presence in the island.

You mean like Kyrons & Actyons & Tata Boleros? I suppose.I always like to fantasize that if there was only like 10-20% instead of 200% import taxes in SL we'd have exotics & premium sedans rolling down the street like Dubai :D

• Like 1

Yes 4 yrs back when i ordered a santafe my aunt in USA told i've done a blunder and that hyundai has got a bad reputation there also,

But now all has changed she has also bought a hyundai new sonata selling her camry and my cousin is also bought a 2011 facelift sonata.

But i think the translation will be slow in sri lanka as the people are obsessed in the resale of the toyotas and rightly so because the price we pay is not for the car but the taxes.

But as the korean market devolops people will like it more and the market will increase and the resale will increase, so people who are only coserned about earning from their cars will also buy hyundai s and the market for japs will decrease.

The transision continues European to Japanese to Korean

so in a decade nice jap cars will be available for small cash like audi's vw's and volvo's now.

If that happens i'd buy an 2010 allion then for Rs.1.5million

Edited by toyota sucks
  • Like 2

Yes 4 yrs back when i ordered a santafe my aunt in USA told i've done a blunder and that hyundai has got a bad reputation there also,

But now all has changed she has also bought a hyundai new sonata selling her camry and my cousin is also bought a 2011 facelift sonata.

But i think the translation will be slow in sri lanka as the people are obsessed in the resale of the toyotas and rightly so because the price we pay is not for the car but the taxes.

But as the korean market devolops people will like it more and the market will increase and the resale will increase, so people who are only coserned about earning from their cars will also buy hyundai s and the market for japs will decrease.

The transision continues European to Japanese to Korean

so in a decade nice jap cars will be available for small cash like audi's vw's and volvo's now.

If that happens i'd buy an 2010 allion then for Rs.1.5million

Your cousin has good taste in midsize family sedans.The Sonata is a brilliant & seductive car even ride quality is better than Honda Accord.I assume your aunt also bought a 2011 Sonata.Hope they were one of the early birds, otherwise it's a 10 month wait.Yikes!!! Btw the new generation of Audi & Volvo are exceptional cars these days.They will retain their value well.

• Like 1

:D maybe it is lol.thanks! Anyhow I'm gonna ask them about this tomorrow.It would be great if they offered this.Is yours a Full option btw?

Depends on what "full option" means nowadays I guess :) Mine doesn't have downhill brake assist or navigation system built in, nor the reverse camera, so I can't say it's full option. However, these were not offered to me either and I didn't ask for them though I knew they exist. Additional cost didn't really seem to be worth it.

Depends on what "full option" means nowadays I guess :) Mine doesn't have downhill brake assist or navigation system built in, nor the reverse camera, so I can't say it's full option. However, these were not offered to me either and I didn't ask for them though I knew they exist. Additional cost didn't really seem to be worth it.

Ah! a Purist :) just like my dad hehe.I understand.Some people prefer the real article.My dad also prefers to drive without being "constantly coddled by too much tech"(I guess that's why he drives wayy better than I do).Well I'm very thankful for your input,man!

• Like 1

Sorry for digging up this thread again. Finally my sis agreed to give her vehicle permit to me to buy a new toy.Thinking of getting a korean beauty, Did a little bit of research and made my mind to buy a Hyundai Tucson, so went to the Hyundai show room at battharamulla and found out that it takes more than year to get it down the tucson here. I cant wait that long, so went for the Kia.Compared with the look of tucson, i think sorento looks more a man vehicle than hyundai.My budget is limited to 4M, hence i cant go for the fully loaded baby, besides i dont need leather seats and sun roof.As the price of the stock vehicle starts from 3.5m, i decided to add more options to match with by budget.a tip tronic tranny, 4WD, 18' alloys, dual ac with climate/cruise+ teliscopic steering and the rear spoiler.

1. What is down hill brake system and is it worth to add for the price tag ($300)?

2. Saw somewherer that auto tranny has blown out in some countries. Therefore should i stick to old manual tranny than getting the tip tronic one? Then again my wife wont happy with that idea.

3. Sales man at kia told fuel consumption is around 8-10 in city with AC. Can any current owner of a sorento veryfi that?

4. Heard that after service of the kia is not that good, Is it true?

5. Sales man told me the toy can be delivered within 5 months. Can it be true?

6. What are the other options i have than go with kia with my 4 m budget? (SUVs)

eventhough i have made my mind to get this one, your inputs on this will be very helpfull.

Sorry for digging up this thread again. Finally my sis agreed to give her vehicle permit to me to buy a new toy.Thinking of getting a korean beauty, Did a little bit of research and made my mind to buy a Hyundai Tucson, so went to the Hyundai show room at battharamulla and found out that it takes more than year to get it down the tucson here. I cant wait that long, so went for the Kia.Compared with the look of tucson, i think sorento looks more a man vehicle than hyundai.My budget is limited to 4M, hence i cant go for the fully loaded baby, besides i dont need leather seats and sun roof.As the price of the stock vehicle starts from 3.5m, i decided to add more options to match with by budget.a tip tronic tranny, 4WD, 18' alloys, dual ac with climate/cruise+ teliscopic steering and the rear spoiler.

1. What is down hill brake system and is it worth to add for the price tag ($300)?

2. Saw somewherer that auto tranny has blown out in some countries. Therefore should i stick to old manual tranny than getting the tip tronic one? Then again my wife wont happy with that idea.

3. Sales man at kia told fuel consumption is around 8-10 in city with AC. Can any current owner of a sorento veryfi that?

6. What are the other options i have than go with kia with my 4 m budget? (SUVs)

eventhough i have made my mind to get this one, your inputs on this will be very helpfull.

1.Downhill & uphill brake assist just makes automatically controls engine throttle & brakes for the driver so that he doesn't have to put up with stabbing the throttle during steep hill climbs & descends.

2.That's just in the U.S. where Sorento is manufactured.A good friend of mine drives a full option 2010 model.Still no probs.

3.I'm not sure.I'm still waiting for mine.

4.Oh dear.I hope not.This is my first Kia.My friend said that he's quite satisfied with the vehicle & all.I'm sure he also meant about the srvice too.

5.Earliest is 5 months.Latest can be around 6 to 7 months.It's on the invoice.

6.Hope it dosen't exceed budget but.Add LED tail lights.It really makes this SUV look great.I would go for key-less entry too(smartkey & Push button start).If it's not too much go for bluetooth.

Edited by YesinLegend
  • Like 2

I know a guy who ordered a sportage diesel via the agent and got a petrol one as the company don't send them here,

That tells u how much the agent knows about their brand. And it also took close to a year to come here.

Definitely the waiting time at KIA is longer than Hyundai.

But the vehicles are the same and r great.

But now according to my knowledge if u r going for a fully loaded tucson could get it down in 3 months under a special scheme (i don't know whether the agent offered it because i was a previous customer).

I searched these options as i have a permit and decided to go for a euro,

But the Hyundai's r also very good the company is also good as they also bring down BMW.

By the way for the last permit it took less than 2 months for my santafe to arrive this shows how the demand for Hyundai have increased.

And also go for the manual (if u'r wife can drive it),

I don't know about auto trans problems in the new model but the manual is more than 50% more economical than the auto.

And for the fuel economy my 2008 manual santafe does 13-14 in colombo and at least 16kmpl in the long run (all with AC )

Edited by toyota sucks
  • Like 1

I wouldn't take what poscher says about SUVs too seriously. Man thinks the Cayenne is the fastest, most extreme offroader ever. When he says it's a problem in the model, it's probably in his model he owns. :D

The Santa Fe actually has a good track record. It's one of Consumer Reports' top vehicles of 2008.

Santa fe does have problems. We got a 2006 diesel for one of the GM's of our company. It gave so many problems especially suspension