• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Liqui moly Oil smoke stop

Ridma Bandara

Question

Has anyone used Liqui moly Oil smoke stop as a solution for engine oil burning issue?

Engine oil burning has been a major issue for me as i currently top-up 1 - 1.5 liters per every 5000km ( Mobil 15w-40 oil for 135,000km mileage)

Highly appreciate your feedback on this.

image.jpeg.a581cb4deabf5e67e2020c1f3d9c48c2.jpeg

6 answers to this question

What is your Car? why not treating the root cause of the Oil burning rather than putting temporary solutions. it could be simple as cleaning up a clogged PCV valve.

18 hours ago, Ridma Bandara said:

Has anyone used Liqui moly Oil smoke stop as a solution for engine oil burning issue?

Engine oil burning has been a major issue for me as i currently top-up 1 - 1.5 liters per every 5000km ( Mobil 15w-40 oil for 135,000km mileage)

Highly appreciate your feedback on this.

image.jpeg.a581cb4deabf5e67e2020c1f3d9c48c2.jpeg

These are never a total/sustainable solution but merely a way to temporarily address the symptoms. How well it performs depends on the condition of the engine and the actual cause of the oil burn itself. These additives work by having particles/polymers that try to improve seals within the cylinders like improve the seal around the piston rings (plus the contents of it can help reduce friction within the cylinders, etc and reduce noise a bit). Depending on what is actually causing the oil burn, this might mask the symptoms or do absolutely nothing at all (e.g. its not going to clean out your PCV, nor will it magically fix a worn-out piston ring in the long term).

So like @Ruslan asked...why not see why the oil burn is there and try to fix that ? Also, these additives...its not a one time use product. You will have to keep using it at every oil change (or, again, depending on the extent of the issue every other oil change).

Thanks for getting back @Ruslan and @iRage.

I was actually to post a separate question on the oil burning issue and that got slipped from me.

To start from the actual cause, I am currently using Honda CRV RD5 (2004) model with naerly 135,000km on the clock. The mileage is pretty low and I believe this is genuine because i could refer 5-6 years emission reports when I purchased it. The owner was abroad and the car was barely used and barely maintained too. 

So the issue is i have been observing oil burning where i have to top up excess oil of 1 - 1.5 litres during every 5000km.

I have taken this to several technicians and following were their conclusions.

1.  Piston rings are worn out

2. Engine valves are worn out

None of these are based on a proper dianostic procedure hence need to do a proper inspection before initiate any repair as i am clueless from where to begin with. 

Appreciate if someone can provide some guidance on fixing the oil burning issue.

Well...those are two of the reasons why oil burning could happen. Unfortunately this is the state of the automobile industry in Sri Lanka. No one wants to actually do a proper diagnostic and figure out the problem to fixit. They just want to guesstimate a cause and fix it and hope it will solve the issue. If the owner is lucky it will solve it. If not they will get you to fix the next probable cause.

First step would be to find someone who is willing to take it apart and find the issue and fix what is found. This maybe something simple that takes half an hour to fix or discover a whole host of issues.

Posted (edited)

Well, stay away from Technicians who doesn't want to perform diagnostics and coming to a conclusion. eventually you'll end up throwing up parts randomly and not resolving the issue. like @iRage said, better find a competent Technician who's willing to perform thorough analysis and pin point the issue.

Edited by Ruslan