• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Defender Puma Tdci

dilukabey

Hello guys,

Anybody know a good workshop where they carry out repairs on new defender puma tdci? Because its packed with computered electronics, i have heard you need kind of computer to go through engine faults. Pls, your kind advice is apprciated. Thanks! :D

The Defender Puma has the exact same engine that the Ford Transit van has. The engine is a common rail diesel, it does have an ECU, but it does not have the complicated electronics present in the Discovery 3, Range Rover etc. As far as I know, staying true to Defender ethos it does not have traction control or any other electronics present.

So basically it should not require a work shop with out the world electronic diagnostic equipment. Any work shop with a diagnostic system compatible with ODB-II and an understanding of common rail diesel technology should be able to maintain this vehicle.

Hello guys,

Anybody know a good workshop where they carry out repairs on new defender puma tdci? Because its packed with computered electronics, i have heard you need kind of computer to go through engine faults. Pls, your kind advice is apprciated. Thanks! :D

Thanks for your valued info don!appriciate dat. Cause me planing is to get one soon but want to makesure its realability and capability. Do you have any idea on water crossing with the puma tdci engine as many people claim you cant as 300tdi or early models due to puma electronics. Is that true?

Thanks for your valued info don!appriciate dat. Cause me planing is to get one soon but want to makesure its realability and capability. Do you have any idea on water crossing with the puma tdci engine as many people claim you cant as 300tdi or early models due to puma electronics. Is that true?

You are asking about Reliability and Capability of a jeep.

Can you tell me your purpose of use.

What type of offroading are you trying to do ?

Extreme jungle Trekking ( Lots of Mud - Lots of Bonnet level water Lots of Winching ( 1 - 2 Hrs ) Slopes and Hills and deep ruts which you do not see in the night and you take them at a speed ) (20-40 % of Its vehicale life)

Light Offroading - Pathways which have average of the above. No winching. Above the Tire level water, and lesser ruts and pot holes. 10-15 % of its vehicale life.

You see when you talk about reliability you have to choose between the above. I own a defender and i have done lot of extreme offroading ( Not competition ) and i dont want to damage my vehicales.

Defender is one of the most capable off roaders i have driven and i am in so much love with it. I have damaged my engine twice because i have not had a snorkel and within 1 year i have spent almost 200000 bucks repairing the engine. ( Its 18J Singapore Army )

Compared to my cruiser my defender covers 80 % of a muddy track without a winch. My cruiser really fails in the mud.

But reliabilty issues come only when you do not maintain the vehicale properly after off roading.

for example alnternators and starter motors have to be serviced after deep water wading. Differiantials and Tranfer and Gear Box Oils have to be changed.

even Hubs greased.

I have a freind who has a puma and has lifted the ecu so that water does not get into it.

How ever common rails will have issues if you take them on deep water crossings. Not only engine but your dash board meters even may start coroding.

If you want to do extreme offroading go for a older defender. 300 tdi is ideal. ( Not fancy dressed up once though )

You will have enough parts you will not get burnt ( Money) if you do a mistake.

defender maintenance will be a lot surely. But will not be that much if you do light off roading.

Get a Defender and enjoy it every moment.

landy.th.jpg

img00030201104091515.th.jpg

Edited by Velocity