• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Project K11

Anjo

Despite the popularity of the Nissan March K11, there are currently no service manuals (workshop manual) for it available for free download on the Internet. The Haynes manual (http://www.haynes.com) are expensive, targeted mainly at the UK manufactured variant (Micra) with non JDM features like NATS and as per some K11 owners, not very informative.

I found this manual on the Internet, Which seems to be very detailed but unfortunately it's in Russian.

So I started the project of translating it.

The procedure is very simple,

Step 1) Convert the PDF pages in to individual images.

Step 2) Convert the text to an editable format using OCR software that understands Russian.

Step 3) Translate it to English using Google translate.

Step 4) Using image editing software, replace the Russian text with English translations while maintaining the document layout.

Step 5) Re-compile the pages in to a single PDF.

Step 6) Post it on the Internet for everyone's benefit.

I have already started on Step 4 and so far managed to translate the first 10 pages and the results are indeed, very promising.

But there are over 350 pages and it would go a lot faster if a group of k11 enthusiasts chip-in to help me.

I can send you the page images in PNG format along with the corresponding OCR text (in Russian) that I have proof read to make sure they are an exact match to what's on the page.

What you have to do is to translate it and replace the text on the images with the grammatically correct English equivalent all the while mainitainig the original layout, and send each page back to me as and when you are done.

SO, WHO'S WITH ME?

Despite the popularity of the Nissan March K11, there are currently no service manuals (workshop manual) for it available for free download on the Internet. The Haynes manual (http://www.haynes.com) are expensive, targeted mainly at the UK manufactured variant (Micra) with non JDM features like NATS and as per some K11 owners, not very informative.

I found this manual on the Internet, Which seems to be very detailed but unfortunately it's in Russian.

So I started the project of translating it.

The procedure is very simple,

Step 1) Convert the PDF pages in to individual images.

Step 2) Convert the text to an editable format using OCR software that understands Russian.

Step 3) Translate it to English using Google translate.

Step 4) Using image editing software, replace the Russian text with English translations while maintaining the document layout.

Step 5) Re-compile the pages in to a single PDF.

Step 6) Post it on the Internet for everyone's benefit.

I have already started on Step 4 and so far managed to translate the first 10 pages and the results are indeed, very promising.

But there are over 350 pages and it would go a lot faster if a group of k11 enthusiasts chip-in to help me.

I can send you the page images in PNG format along with the corresponding OCR text (in Russian) that I have proof read to make sure they are an exact match to what's on the page.

What you have to do is to translate it and replace the text on the images with the grammatically correct English equivalent all the while mainitainig the original layout, and send each page back to me as and when you are done.

SO, WHO'S WITH ME?

although i am not k11 owner i very much appreciate your intention... :rolleyes:

There is also the simpler option of buying the Haynes service manual for the K11. Unfortunately it's probably going to be for the export model which does not have electronic power steering, but I think that is the only major change.