• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Polish?

jami

Question

18 answers to this question

Most of these places that offer cut n polish just does half a*s job. If you can invest some time and money on the right products a proper paint conditioning will leave a far better look and cost saving in the long run. Follow the steps below;

Step 1 - Wash your car properly and dry it

Step 2 - Clay ur car with a professional clay bar and lubricant (a detailing spray). I can recommend the meguiars clay bar kit. This will remove any surface contaminates such as chemicals, water spots, sticky stains etc that normal washing will not remove. (Clay kit would cost about LKR 2,500 on ebay)

Step 3 - Use a compound to remove deep scratches, tree sap or bird drop etching. The type of compound to be used could depend on the extent of the repair needed. I use 3M fine cut for smaller restorations to Meguiars utra cut for deeper sratches and bird drop etching removal

Step 4. Use a pure polish (not a polish and wax preferably) that would restore the shine and remove swirl marks. (If you can use a orbital polisher, an excellent gloss shine can be achieved)

Step 5 - The final step is to apply wax, wait for it to dry and remove it. Preferably using an orbital (Dont try using rotary buffers, unless u r an expert).

Repeat this periodically, (Claying and polishing every 6 months, waxing once a month and compounding only when absolutely necessary) and ensure u wash ur car with a propoer car wash and using washing mitts or terry towels to avoid swirls. If all of these are followed, you can definetly maintain ur car paint in excellent condition for a longer period.

• Like 2

Most of these places that offer cut n polish just does half a*s job. If you can invest some time and money on the right products a proper paint conditioning will leave a far better look and cost saving in the long run. Follow the steps below;

Step 2 - Clay ur car with a professional clay bar and lubricant (a detailing spray). I can recommend the meguiars clay bar kit. This will remove any surface contaminates such as chemicals, water spots, sticky stains etc that normal washing will not remove. (Clay kit would cost about LKR 2,500 on ebay)

Step 3 - Use a compound to remove deep scratches, tree sap or bird drop etching. The type of compound to be used could depend on the extent of the repair needed. I use 3M fine cut for smaller restorations to Meguiars utra cut for deeper sratches and bird drop etching removal

Step 4. Use a pure polish (not a polish and wax preferably) that would restore the shine and remove swirl marks. (If you can use a orbital polisher, an excellent gloss shine can be achieved)

Step 5 - The final step is to apply wax, wait for it to dry and remove it. Preferably using an orbital (Dont try using rotary buffers, unless u r an expert).

Repeat this periodically, (Claying and polishing every 6 months, waxing once a month and compounding only when absolutely necessary) and ensure u wash ur car with a propoer car wash and using washing mitts or terry towels to avoid swirls. If all of these are followed, you can definetly maintain ur car paint in excellent condition for a longer period.

good explanation

1. wash ur car with a propoer car wash ? what do u mean by proper car wash

2. this clay kit cost around 6500 link - http://cgi.ebay.com/Meguiars-Detailing-Car-Wash-Care-Kit-Wax-Clay-Bar-NEW-/260805739537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb93bc411

3. ok

4.any good brand?

5. we have to do it by a paper?

Edited by jami

Try to use a reputed brand such as dash or stp, or if budget permits, my favourite, armorall wash n wax

2. this clay kit cost around 6500 link - http://cgi.ebay.com/Meguiars-Detailing-Car-Wash-Care-Kit-Wax-Clay-Bar-NEW-/260805739537?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cb93bc411

This is for an entire kit. Pls see the following link for just the clay kit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300251356941&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3. ok

4.any good brand?

I can recommend autoglym super resin polish, autoglym utra deep shine and meguiars gold class based on my experience. But i'm sure there are similar once for much cheaper.

No paper! u will scratch your paint. Application should be done using a wax applicator pad or a microfibre cloth. Removal should be also using a microfiber terry towel. If using a buffer, there are specific pads that come for these functions

• Like 2

Try to use a reputed brand such as dash or stp, or if budget permits, my favourite, armorall wash n wax

This is for an entire kit. Pls see the following link for just the clay kit http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300251356941&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

3. ok

4.any good brand?

I can recommend autoglym super resin polish, autoglym utra deep shine and meguiars gold class based on my experience. But i'm sure there are similar once for much cheaper.

No paper! u will scratch your paint. Application should be done using a wax applicator pad or a microfibre cloth. Removal should be also using a microfiber terry towel. If using a buffer, there are specific pads that come for these functions

cool..

ill try this

doing a car polish can safe the the body from corrosion? what are the best wax can we used?

what is the best place to do a car polish at kandy?

Waxing will protect your car paint... water will easily slipawy from your car body..

Best Wax ..mmmm try 3M, 999, Abro, Eagle etc..

You can do it from MAG @ katugasthota, Willies @ Peradeniya, or Priyantha @ mawilmada

Waxing will protect your car paint... water will easily slipawy from your car body..

Best Wax ..mmmm try 3M, 999, Abro, Eagle etc..

You can do it from MAG @ katugasthota, Willies @ Peradeniya, or Priyantha @ mawilmada

I got my car cut & Polish from Priyantha a few months back, he did a good job. Or you can go to CRC at nawayalathena. Will cost around 4000.

Thanks for the really nice explanation. I'm looking to buy 3M polish, 3M tire dressing and some good polish for chrome alloy wheels (No idea about the brand). Could you tel me a place to buy these things?

Thanks for the really nice explanation. I'm looking to buy 3M polish, 3M tire dressing and some good polish for chrome alloy wheels (No idea about the brand). Could you tel me a place to buy these things?

for alloys, you can use a silver paint for gross finish with addition of thinner, if you need more shine use a clearing wax after silver paint. (if the alloy paint hardly damaged filled it and polish before painting)

Edited by jami

You can buy 3M waxes, compounds and tire waxes from Laugfs outlets and the small shop that it located near the hydepark corner roundabout (not sure of the name).

I can also recommend autogylm tyre shine which gives a rich black finish that will last several days without an issue.

for alloys, you can use a silver paint for gross finish with addition of thinner, if you need more shine use a clearing wax after silver paint. (if the alloy paint hardly damaged filled it and polish before painting)

Thanks buddy, I have chrome alloys, I need to know what to apply to get more shine. Anyone knows?