• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Proton Repair

voltran

hi can anyone knows where i can get a proton car repaired, other than the company and also a place to buy spare parts in outside. i have a proton savvy and encountered a problem which is gng to cost me a lot, really appreciate any help...

First up, did you get an inspection done from the agent and did you get a quote?

I've dealt with Swedish Trading to repair my Proton and they are not so bad. If you tell them that you can't afford a big repair bill, they will try to minimize the amount of replacements you need to do. For example, agents normally expect you to replace parts even if they are repairable. But Swedish Trading guys are a bit flexible in that way.

But beware of the Swedish Trading body shop guys. I've witnessed some lousy work of theirs.

FYI, Savvy got a Renault engine and transmission so if u can find a baas who repairs Euros, you might be able to get help from him (if it's an engine/gearbox problem).

As for spares, on my way back from Swedish Trading, I saw a couple of places on Galle Road (in Ratmalana and Mount area), which have boards saying Volvo/Proton spares available. You might wanna try them.

In any case, if you post the problem like Don asked, AL members might be able to help you.

Isn't it really annoying that Proton uses a mix of Renault, Mitsubishi and their own engines in their vehicles. Why can't they just stick to one technology partner .... It just complicates sourcing spare parts.

• Like 1

Isn't it really annoying that Proton uses a mix of Renault, Mitsubishi and their own engines in their vehicles. Why can't they just stick to one technology partner .... It just complicates sourcing spare parts.

economies of scale .....dude..what else............

economies of scale .....dude..what else............

Rameez, how can it be economies of scale. You buy one bit of technology from one supplier, another from another supplier and you get a mis mash of everything. The Renault engines are nothing like the Mitsubishi's and their own Campros. Economies of scale can be better achieved by sharing components between engines, but this is just crazy !

What seems to have happened is Proton was collaborating with both Renault and Mitsubishi at the same time, and built some cars based on Mitsubishi models and others on Renault models. The Savvy for example uses bits from the Renault Clio and they had another version based on the Renault AX which wasn't that nice a car to begin with.

If I was Proton, I would have either collaborated with Renault or Mitsubishi and slowly moved over to their own designs.

Hey I also own a Proton Savy, need some information regarding the timing belt change,

whats the best mileage i should change the belt and any one have an Idea where I can get one. Swedish trading is quite expensive in this case

if you guys can help really appreciate