• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Gearbox Issue

abiman

Hi guys I need help AGAIN,

My Car is toyota Sprinter CE110 Auto 1997, about 170000km on clock bought about 1 year ago.

After purchase car I flushed & changed ATF, and service center told me they used caltex ATF. After about a month changing ATF, I noticed ATF oil leak from oil seal and got it fixed. Because of leak I had to top up ATF time to time to keep it at correct level before repairing seal. I used caltex ATF for top up. However after some time I found out service station used shell ATF and now gear box got both types of ATF oil in it. after changing ATF I have done about 15000km and most of this with mixed ATF without issue.

during last service I was told that my ATF is not in good condition and change it at next service. Now I also notice that there is slight delay (about 10S) before engaging gears ( R and D) when car was stopped for more than about 1 hour. After engaged, it works fine. however I notice slight engine rev-up during first few minutes. Also there was incident that one of my fried driven this car for about 150km with OD OFF without noticing at around 60km/h speed mostly. I notice this gear engage delays after this incident.

Finally I didnt noticed any fuel consumption difference. It is around 12.6km/l average.

Now I plan to change ATF and planning to go for mobil ATF.

I called service station about this and they told me not to change ATF type and stay with caltex because gear box is adapted to caltex. Also they told me they need to inspect OD valve to check about gear engage delay

SO I need advice.

1. should I change ATF with mobil?

2. What is OD valve? can I replace it? service it? How much will be approximate cost?

3. Any other information I should know?

thanks in advance

I'm going to take a wild guess that the tranny was machine flushed. Hence the reason the seal started leaking. First of all, do not take the advice of a service station. All they would care about is selling their products. I doubt that leaving the O/D off could cause any problems.

First make sure you put the right fluid in. I believe it's Dexron III for your vehicle ( I may be wrong). The brand matters less than the actual specs of the fluid. There are a lot of manufacturers out there who make the fluid to dexron III specs and they include shell and mobil. Try changing out the tranmission filter and if the wrong fluid was put in, have it flushed manually.

Edited by jdnet
  • Like 1

Also there was incident that one of my fried driven this car for about 150km with OD OFF without noticing at around 60km/h speed mostly. I notice this gear engage delays after this incident.

You cant drive a A/T with OD off above a speed that the transmission cant handle "without noticing"; and certainly not for 150km. So either he didnt overdo it and your friend's actions had no effect on the car, or he did notice it but didnt give a shit.

And that my friend is one reason you should think twice before lending your stuff to other people.

The 110's are giving a lot of transmission problems these days haven't they

there are 2 topics here about them

I just guess they r going out of their usable life time

as they r about 15yrs old and have 170 000 km or more on the clock

(probably as they are not with digital meters they will be changed from 270 000km to this figure) :lol:

so I'd like to tell the idiots who bought these for about 2mill, they can go for a considerably new and low millage n16 lancer for a similar price without buying those rust buckets which r on the edge of the cliff

Edited by toyota sucks

The 110's are giving a lot of transmission problems these days haven't they

there are 2 topics here about them

I just guess they r going out of their usable life time

as they r about 15yrs old and have 170 000 km or more on the clock

(probably as they are not with digital meters they will be changed from 270 000km to this figure) :lol:

so I'd like to tell the idiots who bought these for about 2mill, they can go for a considerably new and low millage n16 lancer for a similar price without buying those rust buckets which r on the edge of the cliff

Your points may have some merit, but this isn't quite the place for this discussion is it ?

I agree with JDNet's suggestions.