• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What To Do When Your Hybrid Car's Battery Dies Read More: What To Do When Your Hybrid Car's Battery Dies

MLR

A very good article for hybrid lovers... although these situations are a bit extreme but might happen :rolleyes:

this part of the article worries me for Prius :

However—and this is important—the Prius won't let you drive the main battery down to absolutely no charge. When the battery becomes discharged to a certain point, the car is programmed to fire up the gasoline engine, which normally would recharge the battery as it charges the car. If you're out of gas, though, the Prius will try (and fail) three times to start the engine, and then it will go totally dead. Once this happens, a fault code must be reset in the car's engine computer before it can be started again. So even if you put gas in the tank, the car would need a technician to reset the code before you're on your way.

The full article Link from Popular Mechanics :

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/what-to-do-when-your-hybrid-cars-battery-dies?src=rss

Edited by MLR

A very good article for hybrid lovers... although these situations are a bit extreme but might happen :rolleyes:

However—and this is important—the Prius won't let you drive the main battery down to absolutely no charge. When the battery becomes discharged to a certain point, the car is programmed to fire up the gasoline engine, which normally would recharge the battery as it charges the car. If you're out of gas, though, the Prius will try (and fail) three times to start the engine, and then it will go totally dead. Once this happens, a fault code must be reset in the car's engine computer before it can be started again. So even if you put gas in the tank, the car would need a technician to reset the code before you're on your way.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/repair/what-to-do-when-your-hybrid-cars-battery-dies?src=rss

according to this article if you run out of fuel outstations in prius you are in big trouble unless of course you have a car code reader in hand but if so how many of them know how to use it. :ninja:

oh drrrrrrrrrr..... how terrible, so prius owners dont go with your prius to ampara/mahiyangana, you will caught by wild elephants when your prius get stopped :D .

but honda hybrid can run with gasoline only,(when the battery is dead)

This happened to me!! Car had been kept running for about a day by mistake. the boot also had been open so interior lamps were also lit. The car had drained the little petrol in the tank and also both batteries! Tried pumping fuel and using jumper cables on the normal battery but didn't work. Left the battery cable off also, if I rem right. Finally, just left it like that overnight and it started the next day! Maybe I was just lucky there!

This happened to me!! Car had been kept running for about a day by mistake. the boot also had been open so interior lamps were also lit. The car had drained the little petrol in the tank and also both batteries! Tried pumping fuel and using jumper cables on the normal battery but didn't work. Left the battery cable off also, if I rem right. Finally, just left it like that overnight and it started the next day! Maybe I was just lucky there!

lol you must be very absent minded to do all that! please share more of your comic stories!