• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wheel Spin

Schiffer

Question

Guys, I've noticed, when ever i stop the car in a bit steep road and accelerate a bit hard

the car does wheel-spin's. most of the time only the Front left wheel and the car is an Automatic.

my question is. is it normal for a Auto car?

11 answers to this question

Guys, I've noticed, when ever i stop the car in a bit steep road and accelerate a bit hard

the car does wheel-spin's. most of the time only the Front left wheel and the car is an Automatic.

It's just the tyres looking for grip man, of course it's normal.

well all the tires are new.

i thought after replacing the tires this will fix but guess its normal

mate its normal, even if the tyres are new, try and be abit gentle on the throttle if the wheelspin bothers you.

And also note that Auto's have a lot of initial torque cause of the torque convertor. So don't mind it. :)

mate its normal, even if the tyres are new, try and be abit gentle on the throttle if the wheelspin bothers you.

And also note that Auto's have a lot of initial torque cause of the torque convertor. So don't mind it. :)

thnx for the clarification mate :)

n yea ill be easy on the throttle

just worried weather a Auto would do that..

thnx again guys :)

Easy solution; remove the NOS tank, lower the boost to about 1-2psi and add massive shopping cart handle to get down force and gain some weight so the car has more grip and less power :angry-smiley-048:

No on a serious note, its quite normal for an auto to do that if you are not very light footed. I think you have driven manuals before this ? if that's the case this is quite normal, its just the way you are use to.See in a manuals when we stop and go uphill in the middle of a steep road we usually clutch balance or we brake (obviously with the left foot on the clutch) either way when we want to move we first press the accelerator and rev up the engine and let go of the clutch smoothly. Even though the engine is at a bit of a high rev the clutch interrupts the power delivery and gives a smooth torque curve. But if you drive the same way in an auto (let go of the brake once and floor the accelerator) there is no in between manual mechanism to smoothen the power delivery so the entire torque of the engine produces are given to the wheels instantly and when this power exceeds the static friction barrier the wheels loose grip thus creating wheel spin.

"when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels. "

So ease up on the paddles there bro :alc:

• Like 1

Easy solution; remove the NOS tank, lower the boost to about 1-2psi and add massive shopping cart handle to get down force and gain some weight so the car has more grip and less power :angry-smiley-048:

No on a serious note, its quite normal for an auto to do that if you are not very light footed. I think you have driven manuals before this ? if that's the case this is quite normal, its just the way you are use to.See in a manuals when we stop and go uphill in the middle of a steep road we usually clutch balance or we brake (obviously with the left foot on the clutch) either way when we want to move we first press the accelerator and rev up the engine and let go of the clutch smoothly. Even though the engine is at a bit of a high rev the clutch interrupts the power delivery and gives a smooth torque curve. But if you drive the same way in an auto (let go of the brake once and floor the accelerator) there is no in between manual mechanism to smoothen the power delivery so the entire torque of the engine produces are given to the wheels instantly and when this power exceeds the static friction barrier the wheels loose grip thus creating wheel spin.

"when you step on the gas, the engine speeds up and pumps more fluid into the torque converter, causing more torque to be transmitted to the wheels. "

So ease up on the paddles there bro :alc:

Thanks for the Reply stig.

and yea. been driving manuals for a while now. and sometimes accelrate before letting go of the brake (from the left foot.. bad habbit)

and as you know, there are lot of hilly places in Kandy. so have encountered these situations quite often.

but getting used to it slowly :)

thanks again mate :alc:

Or just use the handbrake to stop the car rolling back, then slowly give the car gas until you feel it trying to move and release the handbrake.

ah yeah which brings me to my second question.

is it normal for a Auto to roll back?

coz my previous 2 Auto's didnt roll back as the current.

Yeah, it's normal. Mine did on steep hills. Maybe your current car doesn't develop as much torque as your older ones.

yes absolutely.

If you keep your car on a flat surface and shift to D and let go of the brakes you will notice that it actually moves forward without pressing the accelerator, the reason for this is that even thought you are not pressing the accelerator the idle throttle level is already there so the torque convertor pushes the car forward when the brakes are released. If its not a steep hill sometimes in an auto you dont need to use the brakes to stop the car from rolling back, but if the power/torque is not enough to keep the car stable it will roll back meaning you have to apply more brake force if you want to stop in rolling back downhill.

Hope i didn't confuse you, in essence there could be various reason like less torque at low revs compared to your old cars, worn out torque convertor etc.

Also on a side not never use both feet in an auto, always use only the right for both accelerator and brakes :D

Yeah, it's normal. Mine did on steep hills. Maybe your current car doesn't develop as much torque as your older ones.

yes absolutely.

If you keep your car on a flat surface and shift to D and let go of the brakes you will notice that it actually moves forward without pressing the accelerator, the reason for this is that even thought you are not pressing the accelerator the idle throttle level is already there so the torque convertor pushes the car forward when the brakes are released. If its not a steep hill sometimes in an auto you dont need to use the brakes to stop the car from rolling back, but if the power/torque is not enough to keep the car stable it will roll back meaning you have to apply more brake force if you want to stop in rolling back downhill.

Hope i didn't confuse you, in essence there could be various reason like less torque at low revs compared to your old cars, worn out torque convertor etc.

Also on a side not never use both feet in an auto, always use only the right for both accelerator and brakes :D

Got it guys thanx again.

i've been worried coz, i told the problem to Charlton and immediately they told me that i have to change the gearbox

its a fault in the gearbox

thanks for clarifying guys. its a big help..

cheers.

:alc: