• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Jump-Start An Automatic Car Without Jumper-Cables: Is It Possible?

ransam

I found following steps in a website,

http://newtome.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/how-to-jump-start-a-car-without-cables-even-if-it-is-automatic/

1) You will need to roll the car, so find a place and the right bodies to get the car in motion to about 5 miles per hour.

2) Release the hand-brake and foot-brake, and put the car in second gear.

3) Once the car gets up to about 5 miles per hour, try starting the car by turning the ignition.

4) If that doesn’t work, keep the car in second gear and push down the gas as you turn the ignition.

Has anyone tried this and was it successful?

http://newtome.wordpress.com/2009/01/10/how-to-jump-start-a-car-without-cables-even-if-it-is-automatic/

1) You will need to roll the car, so find a place and the right bodies to get the car in motion to about 5 miles per hour.

3) Once the car gets up to about 5 miles per hour, try starting the car by turning the ignition.

4) If that doesn’t work, keep the car in second gear and push down the gas as you turn the ignition.

You can start a manual car by doing this.. Not Auto..

Thats some horrible advice you just gave!

And you you can judge how stupid the author of this article is considering he was 'afraid of getting electrocuted through a car battery'. For those who want to know WHY it wont work, read the very first comment.

ransam:

I presume you merely wanted to share some newly acquired knowledge but next time try reading the full page, not just the blog post machang ;) the comments people make would help you understand the credibility of the author/content.

The best way to jump start a car without cables is to take another battery, hold it upside down and place it on the dead battery and make sure that positive and negative posts make contact. You will need someone to start the car while you hold the battery.

Alternatively yu can tape up 10 AA batteries and hook up a wire on each end of the pack and then run em to the car battery. Should start right up.

• Like 2

Alternatively yu can tape up 10 AA batteries and hook up a wire on each end of the pack and then run em to the car battery. Should start right up.

As funny as it is, it almost sounds real dude! Hope no-one actually believes it :P

PS: And you gotta be superman to maintain contact between the batteries AND balance the weight without letting it slip and crush a finger or two when the vehicle rocks at cranking.

Edited by Watchman

I don't think you can start the car with torch batteries. Even if u get 50 of them.

Edited by Sha7

<<facepalm>> What did we just say!

Theoretically it IS possible if you use a whole bunch of parallel sets of 8(in series). But we're talking 100s if not 1000+ AA batteries.

Yah.. One can easily find two wires to jump, rather than doing parallel-series fixing of 1000 AA batteries :lol:

<<double facepalm>>

This is just going in circles. This thread was useless to begin with, so no hard saying crap here i guess :D

Sha' have you SEEN a car battery? ever noticed a certain Amperage written on it? So dont you think if that battery's amperage is what's normally needed to start the engine, you'll have to generate just as much?

seriously.. Ever driven a Auto car or atleast search about the concept of how it works?

the title really should be

"how to Ruin a Automatic Gearbox when the betray is dead"

He's telling the same thing I'm telling. U cant start the car with 10 AA batteries. But if u fix about 1000 of them in 8 series groups, u can. :action-smiley-060:

*facepalm* :action-smiley-034:

http://newtome.wordp...t-is-automatic/

4) If that doesn't work, keep the car in second gear and push down the gas as you turn the ignition.

Go see a Doctor first

MINIACE

• Like 1

Some times even the jumper cabel is useless. I bought a normal jumper cabel, it did not work in one instance. I thing the battery (doner) was not good enough. I suggest every auto car must have a jumper cabel,& if possible keep a towing rope. You never know

doubt if the donor battery is really the issue, as the alternator on that car is (or should be) running - ideally the donor car's engine should be at a fast idle.

however there are power restrictions on jumper cables - what's sufficient for a car might not be good enough for a SUV etc.

(at least, when my friend when to buy one, he was told that the particular cable was only suitable for cars)

doubt if the donor battery is really the issue, as the alternator on that car is (or should be) running - ideally the donor car's engine should be at a fast idle.

however there are power restrictions on jumper cables - what's sufficient for a car might not be good enough for a SUV etc.

(at least, when my friend when to buy one, he was told that the particular cable was only suitable for cars)

The alternator itself cannot provide enough power to crank the engine; which is why the alternator works for a lot longer period than the battery is used while cranking the engine. So the donor car's battery actually gives nearly all the current the dead car needs. The alternator just adds an additional punch.

Yes, you have different cables cos different engines pull different currents. Example a petrol car I think pulls around 45amps, while diesel cars (SUVs) pull between 60-90amps, so you need a thicker wire. If the wire isnts thick enough its gonna heat up and melt the casing around the copper wires and clips.