• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Drivers License Question

jdnet

Hey guys,

I know I saw a thead about this a while ago my wife needs to get a drivers license but she isn't a citizen, but she did get a permanent residence recently. Basically what I would like to know is if she would need to get a national ID or something and retake the written and practical tests. Oh yeah her foreign license is still valid.

Thanks.

check with the relevant embassy and find out the procedure. A lot of these expats are driving with a locally issued permit. That might see you through till you sort out another permanent solution

Check with the AA also, near Galle Face court.

Or you can do this... just found out.

Conversion of Foreign License

Only light vehicle license can be obtained under this system.

The foreign driving license which is valid for at least 6 more months ahead.

If the applicant is a foreign national, the Visa should be valid at least a month period from the date of applying.

If the Driving license and the passport are not in English, the English translations of those two documents, done by a registered translator.

Medical fitness certificate obtained from a Medical Officer.registered with the Sri Lanka Medical Council on a M.T.A. 31 form, within a period of six months.

The letter of acknowledgment from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in the event of a person in the foreign Diplomatic service.

The National Identity Card or the passport with the National Identity Card Number on it, in the event of a Sri Lankan or a holder of dual citizenship.

Last Updated on Wednesday, 03 August 2011 04:29

http://www.motortraffic.gov.lk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=120&Itemid=146〈=en

To obtain your licence if you're a foreign citizen you need to have a residence visa that is valid for at least 6 months after the date of applying for the license. You can then either convert a foreign licence, or take the normal procedure (written test and practical), but you're forced to pay quite a premium over what Sri Lankan citizens pay.

if that person doesnt have a national ID i remember back then when i took my licence there was a forieng student.

i remember to get light vehicle licence. he had to pay 25K stamp charges.

the thing is. they are gonna rip you off if your not a citizen

if that person doesnt have a national ID i remember back then when i took my licence there was a forieng student.

i remember to get light vehicle licence. he had to pay 25K stamp charges.

the thing is. they are gonna rip you off if your not a citizen

Bo offense to anyone, but I dont think its ripping off. There's a lot of places/services (not just in sri lanka) where foreigners/tourists are charged more than locals. Certain facilities and infrastructure are sometimes financed and run by tax money, so its understandable if a tax paying local doesn't pay as much as a tax-free tourist/foreigners. I'm sure forum members living overseas might have their own experiences.

But JD, if your wife already has a foreign license getting it converted might be the easier option than getting a fresh one.

How did it turnout? I'm also interested in knowing how early you went and the queue 'situation'

Thanks,

You find a lengthy queue even at around 6.00. They usually take in batches of 30 and you will be given a number starting from 1. The earlier you get the number, the earlier you can obtain the services. I went around 6 o clock and got the number 56 and left premises with the new DL in my hand at around 11.30sh. Impressed by the process, environment and level of service improvements.