• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Auto Tranny Car Knocks Or Shakes When Shifting Gears

timmy

Question

My car is a Lancer CK2 (97 model) with an auto gear transmission. Today I noticed that when the car shifts gears there is a slight knock-on effect. I donno if this is what you call knocking, but I can feel that there is about 1 sec delay when the car engages the selected gear and due to this the whole car sorta knocks/shakes/whips when the change happens, when it used to be all smooth shifting since the day I owned it. I donno if it is my imagination but I also feel that the first gear shift position has also slightly moved up ( to about 2.3k revvs ) but it dont happen all the time. The knocking effect is kinda scary and makes u feel as if somethings gonna break so I drove carefully all the way home. One of my friends said that it could be the signs of a disaster looming so better to get it checked. Now the car has a mileage of ~80,000 km and I havent changed ATF oil on it, donno if the previous owner did either ( I bought it at ~57,000 km ). The car has also run close to 5000 km after its previous full service in early this year. I would really like to know what this knocking sign is all about and if it is something wrong mechanically or due to not servicing or changing the ATF oil.

thanks,

Timmy.

5 answers to this question

My car is a Lancer CK2 (97 model) with an auto gear transmission. Today I noticed that when the car shifts gears there is a slight knock-on effect. I donno if this is what you call knocking, but I can feel that there is about 1 sec delay when the car engages the selected gear and due to this the whole car sorta knocks/shakes/whips when the change happens, when it used to be all smooth shifting since the day I owned it. I donno if it is my imagination but I also feel that the first gear shift position has also slightly moved up ( to about 2.3k revvs ) but it dont happen all the time. The knocking effect is kinda scary and makes u feel as if somethings gonna break so I drove carefully all the way home. One of my friends said that it could be the signs of a disaster looming so better to get it checked. Now the car has a mileage of ~80,000 km and I havent changed ATF oil on it, donno if the previous owner did either ( I bought it at ~57,000 km ). The car has also run close to 5000 km after its previous full service in early this year. I would really like to know what this knocking sign is all about and if it is something wrong mechanically or due to not servicing or changing the ATF oil.

thanks,

Timmy.

First of all that's not what knocking is :), what you are noticing is a vibration.

And are you sure this only happened when in D, you didnt notice any vibrations when its in N ?

If it only happens in D its probably an issue with your gearbox, if this also happens in N the possibilities are endless.

"I havent changed ATF oil on it" And here lies your problem, try changing the ATF oil first.

Also it could be permanent damage to the transmission due to the lack of service, if that the case you would probably a have to shell out some big bucks for the repair. Worst case scenario would be replacing the Tranny.

First of all that's not what knocking is :), what you are noticing is a vibration.

And are you sure this only happened when in D, you didnt notice any vibrations when its in N ?

If it only happens in D its probably an issue with your gearbox, if this also happens in N the possibilities are endless.

"I havent changed ATF oil on it" And here lies your problem, try changing the ATF oil first.

Also it could be permanent damage to the transmission due to the lack of service, if that the case you would probably a have to shell out some big bucks for the repair. Worst case scenario would be replacing the Tranny.

Actually what I feel more likely is a slight jerk, when the car selects gear from the 2nd upwards, less prominent when 1st moves to 2nd. I havent tried it in N, only in D. I want to know where I can get it looked into. And how do I make the ATF change ? Do i need to take it to the UMotors or can Auto Miraj do the ATF transfer ?

EDIT: On second thought I donno how u mean the vibrations could come when u are in N since the car doesnt select gears in N. The jerk only happens when the car upshifts gears and not when I move the gear shaft up or down.

Edited by timmy

Actually what I feel more likely is a slight jerk, when the car selects gear from the 2nd upwards, less prominent when 1st moves to 2nd. I havent tried it in N, only in D. I want to know where I can get it looked into. And how do I make the ATF change ? Do i need to take it to the UMotors or can Auto Miraj do the ATF transfer ?

Auto tranny oil change is never DIY. a proper change need an ATF. Take her to the closest ATF.

MINIACE

Auto tranny oil change is never DIY. a proper change need an ATF. Take her to the closest ATF.

MINIACE

I checked the ATF from the dip stick, and the stuff seems still pink and no prominent burnt smell, the signs of which ATF is bad. But Im not a good judge of how good or bad ATF is. Also could this be due to bad engine mounts and front suspension, cos this car is having bad mounts and suspension ? I jus need to know from this forum if these are common signs of a need for an ATF change ?

If i do the ATF transfer now at a service station and then later if the problem persists and I need to change the tranny Id have to pay for the transfer again right ? Guys Im trying to minimise cost here and get this sorted sooner and more cost effectively.

EDIT: the jerk is more akin to what you feel when you are driving and the revvs are closer to a shift point and u slightly lift your foot off the gas to make an advanced upshift (sorta like short shifting)

Edited by timmy

Could be something mechanical or it could even be an engine/transmission mount. Does it do it on light acceleration or only on hard acceleration?

Do you feel like it skips/misses the 2nd gear when it "bangs" and then goes into 3rd when you lift off the pedal? This is from my experience with my trans a while back. The 2nd gear Sprag (freewheel hub thingy) failed 'cos I was doing a burnout when I hit a rut in the road right when it was shifting to 2nd and BOOM, blew it to shreds. Didn't have 2nd gear and it did what you kinda experience here. I can start off in 1st and right when it's time to shift into 2nd it'll make a bang sound and then have no gear at all, but if I lift my foot off the pedal and then let the car roll a bit and then get into it, it'll catch 3rd gear before it makes the sound. Takes just a second to do although it sounds like a long process.. lol